Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2006 CRV gets the shakes sometimes when the speed hovers at or just above 40 mph. It feels like you're riding over rumble strips on the road. You can feel it in the steering wheel too. Just letting off the gas makes it go away. We've had no luck with the dealer finding the cause. They just charged us for rebalancing the tires and doing an alignment, neither of which helped at all. Now the car is out of warranty and it's still occurring. It's almost as if something is reaching a resonance, like maybe the driveshaft may be out of balance or something? I have no clue what to even look for at this point.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Use a marker and number your tires, then try a rotation yourself to see if this helps. Cheap and sometimes easier way to find problems. May not be the answer, but costs you next to nothing except your time. Keep record of tire location and if problem stops.

At what speed does the tire "stop" making the noise? Does it do this on all roads or only certain ones? Can you find a stretch of brand new asphalt, and does it do it on this road?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the tires. I just replaced them all and it still does the same thing. It does it on smooth roads, too. I suspect it's something in the drive train since the tires and alignment are all new with no improvement. When it starts to vibrate at around 40 mph or so just lifting your foot off the gas usually makes it go away.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It's not the tires. I just replaced them all and it still does the same thing. It does it on smooth roads, too. I suspect it's something in the drive train since the tires and alignment are all new with no improvement. When it starts to vibrate at around 40 mph or so just lifting your foot off the gas usually makes it go away.

Silly question, did you replace the tires with the same brand and type? Could be the transmission but I still don't have all the info I would need to answer. I would pester the Honda people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires are a different brand. I can't afford to keep pestering honda since it's out of warranty. Will be doing the automatic transmission fluid change soon. We'll see if that helps, but I kind of doubt it. It has 120k miles on it. Maybe I'll just trade it in the spring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know this isn't very encouraging but I once had an Oldsmobile that did the same thing and I can't tell you how many things were tried to fix it and we (the dealer, a couple of other tire garages and I) NEVER could. This happened from day one...under warranty and beyond. We balanced, aligned, rotated, changed tires with same brand, then different brand, dealer even changed wheels and tires off another new car in stock which rode great, but on my car it still vibrated!! They checked drivetrain, thought it might be out of balance, looked fine. Simply never found out why .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there - did you ever get this vibration issue fixed? It's my first day here on the forum, and I joined because of this exact thing happening with my 99.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately i never got it solved. It's my wife's car and I don't drive it very much so I'm not sure if it still does it or not. She hasn't complained, but she may have just given up. the good news is nothing ever broke and fell off. ;-) If i had to guess, it feels to me like the drive shaft is out of balance or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2006 CRV gets the shakes sometimes when the speed hovers at or just above 40 mph. It feels like you're riding over rumble strips on the road. You can feel it in the steering wheel too. Just letting off the gas makes it go away. We've had no luck with the dealer finding the cause. They just charged us for rebalancing the tires and doing an alignment, neither of which helped at all. Now the car is out of warranty and it's still occurring. It's almost as if something is reaching a resonance, like maybe the driveshaft may be out of balance or something? I have no clue what to even look for at this point.
I had the exact same problem on both my 2005 and 2006 Honda crv. First check the cv axels and make sure they are not worn but tight. If then are tight, I cured the problem by replacing the fluid in the differentials and flushing the transmission. It worked on both cars and now they drive smooth without the ripple vibration affect.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Unfortunately i never got it solved. It's my wife's car and I don't drive it very much so I'm not sure if it still does it or not. She hasn't complained, but she may have just given up. the good news is nothing ever broke and fell off. ;-) If i had to guess, it feels to me like the drive shaft is out of balance or something.
If you changed the ATF and rear diff fluids and the vibration is still there, you may want to check for play in the front axles and propeller shaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks genuser. She hasn't complained about it in a while. She either gave up complaining or it went away and she never mentioned it. I'll have to ask her. I did do a transmission oil change some time ago. Maybe that helped without me know it. I'll have to ask her.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i had the same problem which went away to a great extent after replacing ATF fluid. In my case fluid was low due to a screw up most likely by dealership. it cud happen if your atf fluid is old and has never been changed. Drain and fill it 3 times to get all the old fluid out

·
Registered
131 Posts
In a previous CRV it had a vibration that started at 50km ,continued as as the gas pedal was held down,
but quit when the pedal was let up,but started again when appying the brakes,the car only had 300km .
The problem was a defective tie rod that allowed the alignment to change,it was not found on the rack when
just sitting on it,a none Honda alignment shop found it ,replaced the it ,problem gone,it had never been
damaged, it was done in manufacturing,I was recompensated later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
read my blog, 8/15/2011 same problem, now fixed
scooter joe
changed trans. fl( did not work), changed diff. fl., changed right axel.
problem gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 CRV and it did the exact same thing. It is not the tires at all, the universals in the driveshaft is going bad. Honda made these so they cannot be repaired they must be replaced. Find someone else besides HONDA to replace it they will put OEM part in that cannot be repaired, Dorman makes one that cost 263.00 on ROCK AUTO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great posts all.

The company my dad works for refurbs/makes diffs so hopefully he knows someone who can help me. Also my previous CRV had replacement axels so I might get a swap done. I still have the other car that I plan to strip.
The vibration between 20-34 is really annoying, I worry it will do damage to components if it gets really shaky.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a 2003 CRV and it did the exact same thing. It is not the tires at all, the universals in the driveshaft is going bad. Honda made these so they cannot be repaired they must be replaced. Find someone else besides HONDA to replace it they will put OEM part in that cannot be repaired, Dorman makes one that cost 263.00 on ROCK AUTO
they can be repaired, if you look around replacement u joints are available

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 CRV 2wd and vibrates between 20-40 miles/hr during acceleration. The vibration disappears at 60 and above speeds. My mileage is almost 175K. I have not yet changed anything under my CRV except for the brakes and tires. So I checked the suspension everything is OK. No play on the tire rod ends, no ball joint problems, all rubber bushings are OK. Then I found out that there is a small crack on my engine transmission mount. So I first replaced this part and the vibration was lessen but it is still there. Then I learned from this forum that others replaced their CV joints. So I checked both CVs , there are little play but the play are needed since the CV joints help in steering the car. There are no leaks, all the boots are OK and no cluncking sounds when turning the car. However I have no choice but to replace them and maybe it will solve the vibration. So I went to Honda for CV joints assembly and they are expensive about $500+ each. Since my CRV is almost 10 yrs , So I went to an auto supply and got the OE replacement parts ( Not the remanufactured one) they are more expensive but you are sure that everything are new. Cost about $100+ each plus tax. Then I replaced both of them with the OE replacement parts and good enough all the vibration was gone. So for conclusion I only change 3 parts: 2 x CV joint assembly left and right and a motor mount that is bolted on the transmission body.
I would like to thank those who posted their experiences in this forum, without your shared information, I could never solved easily my CRV's low speed acceleration problem.
Thank you and keep on posting !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts