Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2005 4wd EX. When I back into or out of a parking space and turn the wheel sharply, there is a vibration noise coming from the back. An amateur mechanic suggested it may be from the transfer case. I am taking it to AAMCO tomorow and don't want to be "taken for a ride." Any experience out there? Is this a common problem with a simple fix? Glad to hear about this club and thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might want to hold off on amaco -change your rear diff fluid -use only honda recomended dual pump II fluid, good chance fluid chg will improve or fix it -if it reduces noise then drive a few hundred miles and change it again -that diff fluid needs to be pretty clean or you can get a lot of noise and vibration especially on sharp turns.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yea, look up the threads on changing the fluid and burnishing the clutches. Sounds like that will fix your issue. The fluid is about $12 per quart I think and you need 1.1 quarts per change.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I can almost guaranty "all you need" is a rear diff fluid change, and nothing more. You MUST only use Honda diff fluid, and the stealership will charge you a lot to do it, but like suggested above, it's real easy to change yourself as long as you have a way of getting the fluid in without leaking all over the place.

You loosen the bottom bolt first to let the old fluid out, then tighten it back up and put the new fluid in the top bolt. New crush washers are recommended.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You loosen the bottom bolt first to let the old fluid out, then tighten it back up and put the new fluid in the top bolt. New crush washers are recommended.
Actually, You loosen the top bolt first. That way if you can't get the fill bolt out you know before you drain it. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vibration noise when turning at slow speed

A Big THANKS to all of you who responded. You were right, I have no issues now, and you saved me from a possible misdiagnose/ripoff at a garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts