Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been a long, interesting, frustrating, educational, and rather expensive journey, but I finally solved my vibration under acceleration problem on my 2000 CRV that I purchased in March with 152,000 miles. After replacing both sides upper and lower control arms and ball joints, all four struts, steering rack(it was leaking) and tie rod ends, sway bar links and bushings, trailing arm bushings, both cv axles(right side twice) I still had this annoying vibration on acceleration from about 18 to 35 mph. After a lot of reading on forums and internet searches, a number of phone calls and talking to a number of people about this issue, I finally concluded the problem was caused by the CV axles being replaced with NEW axles from Advance Auto that comes from CHINA. The place that really helped me see the light and solve my problem was a company called Axles Unlimited in Charlotte NC. Also, I read posts on forums where a lot of other people had this same issue and most just gave up, but I think it was 3 people that solved the problem by replacing the CV axles with OEM axles. Axles Unlimited told me that CRV's are very sensitive to CV axle replacement. If you replace them with anything other than OEM axles you will have vibration problems. They said they sell a lot of CRV axles due to this issue. I ordered two OEM remanufactured axles from them. After installing them, vibration gone. Its amazing how much difference it made. Its like having a new vehicle. This is a short version of a very long story. Bottom line is, NEVER get rid of OEM CV axles. Order remanufactured ones from Axles Unlimited and send your old ones in for a core, because they will charge a core charge if you do not have them, and they will not accept aftermarket or china axles. As matter of fact, I found a set OEM axles in a local salvage yard last week that have 160,000 miles and bought them for back up cores. $35 each. The remans from Axles Unlimited are $300 each, plus $70 core charge. If you think that's expensive, check with a dealer for price on OEM from Honda. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Very interesting post, and thanks for doing it, I'm sure it'll help a lot of people out in the future.
I find it interesting that the vibe would occur at such a low speed and not continue up to say freeway speed too. The axles must have a harmonic at that lower speed that is accentuated by the cv joints themselves so any out of balance is more pronounced.

It reminds me of an Alfa Romeo Spyder I once had. Got it running nicely, but, at freeway speed it had very high frequency vibration to it. I'd read about U-joints exhibiting such behavior and investigated. The drive shaft didn't feel bad but I took the chance and pulled it out to have the U-joints replaced. The shop that did it also offered balancing too so I had them do that too. Put it back in the car and it magically felt like it was made from a solid piece of steel it was so rock steady. Made it a real pleasure to drive after that, so I know of what you speak when you say it's like getting a new vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While accelerating up to highway speeds I started experiencing a sensation like front of the car was rocking side to side. It turned out to be the right inner CV axle failing. This is apparently somewhat common on CR-Vs (mine is a 2012 that had ~135K miles when it started happening). The best place I have found to have OEMs rebuilt is Constant Velocity of Ocala, FL. The local Honda dealers use them and they have a great reputation. I took a salvage OEM that I had picked up off Ebay to them for rebuild and they had it done same day for $79 total. You can even ship them your axles for rebuild if you aren't local.

http://www.cvaxles.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this same issue in my 2012 CRV EX-L with navi (AWD) in low speeds 1,200 RPM to 1,500. Have not changed the axles and the vehicle has only 45k miles so no clue whats causing it.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I'm wondering if you found anything since you posted in September. We are having the vibration problem with our 2013 crv, but it's possible the axles were replaced because it had been in a side-impact accident before we bought it. If yours wasn't because of replacement axles I'm wondering what else could be the problem...before I spend $600 on new axles. Thanks

Rapidroyw - thank you for the post! this is a frustrating problem and it sounds like this might be the resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we are going to call this place tomorrow. Can you tell me...did you get 2 CV axels? Did that include a CV boot? We are in PA. Is a core change something our mechanic can do? What exactly is that? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get education here. Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
An axle assembly typically comes 'complete' with boots and everything. All the mechanic needs to do is install it (and replenish any lost transmission fluid).

A Core is a rebuildable but worn part. So in order to obtain a supply of OEM axles to rebuild, the rebuild company will encourage you send back the old pieces by giving you back some money (the Core Charge). (Kind of like the glass Coke bottle deposits we used to pay 50 years ago!)

Since your shop's cost of the part should not include the core charge, an honest establishment would charge you only their cost plus a markup (after all, it takes time to pack & ship the parts). Based on this Topic's info, if indeed the axle that is causing the issue is aftermarket (foreign-made), you may NOT be eligible for a core refund.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts