Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 CRV does a strange noise on cold start (in the morning). It only does it in the morning when it's between about 30F (-1C) to 14F (-10C). When it's very cold or milder, there is no such noise. I'm still under warranty.

I've recorded it this morning, you can hear the noise at 6 seconds (for about 1 second) in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS5ODsbE5WI

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 2012 CRV does a strange noise on cold start (in the morning). It only does it in the morning when it's between about 30F (-1C) to 14F (-10C). When it's very cold or milder, there is no such noise. I'm still under warranty.

I've recorded it this morning, you can hear the noise at 6 seconds (for about 1 second) in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS5ODsbE5WI
Hi Novagui,

That is the VTC rattle issue. My prior 14' V and my current one sounds the same way and it occurs around the same time after a cold start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer told me Honda issued a bulletin about this. Do you guys know if they found a working solution to this issue?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There is no permanent fix. The bulletin is for replacing the actuator with another actuator but it's the same design which means chances are high the rattle will come back sooner rather than later. This has been going on with the Accords since 2008 and for the last few years on CR-Vs. Needless to say most of us never about it when we purchased our Vs.

You would get the part replaced under warranty/tsb if the dealer can replicate the issue but as mentioned it won't resolve the issue and could create others once they open up your engine, so the call is yours.

We work around it by bumping the engine which is explained in that vtc thread.

Good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's only a mild case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My old 2008 Toyota Yaris that I had before my CRV, had that same noise every winter from new the toyota dealer said it was a oil pressure sending unit which they fixed (10 times) and then would do it again the next winter with colder temps, just became something I just dealt with it didn't seem like it was hurting anything, I got rid of the car due to peeling paint that Toyota would not live up to fixing. I haven't heard it on my 2014 CRV but my husbands 2011 Honda Element does it almost every time it's below 20 degrees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if it's not that bad compared to what others may experiment, I definitely don't like it. I traded my 2010 RAV4 for this CR-V due to the huge lack of comfort of the RAV4 (still going to the chiropractor to fix my back!).

I've been to the dealer at least 6 times since I got my CR-V (May 2014) for several issues. Nothing really serious, but I'm not confident this car will last 10 more years, especially now that there is the VTC issue.

I'm considering trading it for an Outback... I'm going to run the numbers and see what I can get. Kind of disappointed by my first (and most likely last) Honda.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Our CR-V has sounded like that since we first got it. And we don't have the cold temps you do.
It never worried me in the slightest since it would go away almost instantly with the build up of the oil pressure. If it didn't go away, then I'd be worried about it.

'13 CR-V EX bought Aug '13, 11k miles on it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got rid of my CR-V. Too many annoying issues like this one and too much time lost at the dealer. I traded it for a 2012 Outback, so far so good. The OB is a lot more comfortable and fun to drive...and there is no VTC issue :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts