Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a video player that can be controlled so children/kids will be entertained during long trips and at the same time monitored (usually my wife is sitting in passenger seat and can do that). The entertainment system can output audio through the speakers. I thought about different ideas:
  • Tablets and/or i-Pads are a good idea if you have 1 child/kid however if there is more than 1 then they will fight or if you gave each 1 then it becomes very noisy with both trying to increase the volume...
  • Flip down dvd players or headrest players; flip down will or might reduce the rear view field of vision. Headrest players are usually small in size also usually constrain headrests. The majority of headrest players are not controlled by the parents or the front passenger while some may be synchronized to display the same contents. The best available choice is Voxx universal seatback in vehicle entertainment system however it is not a reliable brand and some reviews stated that the remote stopped working few months after installation.
  • The best idea so far is to use a large tablet or i-pad or even a small smart TV to be mounted on the rear side of armrest or between the two front seats with the ability of controlling it by the parent passenger (a mount that allows rotation..). This idea would need a lot of customization. If I go about this idea "what are your suggestions? who could realize it? (knowing I live in Edmonton, Alberta)
Any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
Our daughter is 5.5 now and we have driven to disney in florida and nc from nj and a few ofher 4/5hr trips.

at 3yrs old we just went with her ipad a headrest mount and bluetooth audio through the head unit.

now at 5 we let her play her nintendo switch in 30 minute timed intervals or wifi tether her ipad for netflix etc and a friend at beats send us a set of solos for her and i lock the volume so she cant adjust.

we looked into the dvd units, a flip down unti and the ipad was just more versatile.. even cheaper to setup with movies n all our streaming vs a dvd

i have hondahack pro in our headunit with netflix and apps for movies also BUT on. Long trips i usually have apps running and dont want to toggle .

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When you get headphones for your kids, get quality over-ears. Good noise muffling and low sound volume at high quality is the most important part of it. Muffling first, active noise canceling second. Us grown-ups managed to screw our hearing without anyone telling the right way.

Personally I am not a proponent of in-car video entertainment for kids, I prefer age-matched crossword puzzles, books and just talking but I know it's difficult as the main dopamine source for kids is a screen any other time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our daughter is 5.5 now and we have driven to disney in florida and nc from nj and a few ofher 4/5hr trips.

at 3yrs old we just went with her ipad a headrest mount and bluetooth audio through the head unit.

now at 5 we let her play her nintendo switch in 30 minute timed intervals or wifi tether her ipad for netflix etc and a friend at beats send us a set of solos for her and i lock the volume so she cant adjust.

we looked into the dvd units, a flip down unti and the ipad was just more versatile.. even cheaper to setup with movies n all our streaming vs a dvd

i have hondahack pro in our headunit with netflix and apps for movies also BUT on. Long trips i usually have apps running and dont want to toggle .
Thanks, I totally agree and believe an i-pad or a tablet is better and more versatile than just old DVD players. I have two daughters. I did not understand the part
a friend at beats send us a set of solos for her and i lock the volume so she cant adjust.
Also, how can I also do this hack :) ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you get headphones for your kids, get quality over-ears. Good noise muffling and low sound volume at high quality is the most important part of it. Muffling first, active noise canceling second. Us grown-ups managed to screw our hearing without anyone telling the right way.

Personally I am not a proponent of in-car video entertainment for kids, I prefer age-matched crossword puzzles, books and just talking but I know it's difficult as the main dopamine source for kids is a screen any other time.
I think quality headphone will be definitely a healthier choice however I am an old school and prefer parents controlled systems including indirect ear contact speakers.
I also agree on age-matched puzzles, books and just talking however it does not work for long trips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are kids allowed to go outside and play in the dirt anymore?
If your road trip is more than 5 hours of pure driving, and you stop every hour for them to play in the dirt. The road trip will probably take at least double the time and they will be still bored during driving time.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
Also, how can I also do this hack :) ?

I do it at the device level so she wont up the volume on her stuff. Sometimes she likes to sit in playroom and listen to music while she crafts.

this is link for HondaHack
Go pro, don’t waste your time on the lite version

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I do it at the device level so she wont up the volume on her stuff. Sometimes she likes to sit in playroom and listen to music while she crafts.

this is link for HondaHack
Go pro, don’t waste your time on the lite version

I have lots of questions
How do you get wifi?
Does HondaHack change pre-installed app's? Would not it risk losing manufacturer installed apps?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
I have lots of questions
How do you get wifi?
Does HondaHack change pre-installed app's? Would not it risk losing manufacturer installed apps?
i tether internet from my iPhone 11 pro to the car.
Hondahack had options and apps can be installed via apk or google store
You keep all the oem menus and settings.
HH you can remap steering wheel buttons and everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i tether internet from my iPhone 11 pro to the car.
Hondahack had options and apps can be installed via apk or google store
You keep all the oem menus and settings.
HH you can remap steering wheel buttons and everything.
Thank you so much

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
I thought about it but headphones are not good for their ears.
They do make special headphones for kids.. with volume level limiters in them. They make it impossibe for the child to have the volume up enough to harm their ears. There are probably some wireless versions by now too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do make special headphones for kids.. with volume level limiters in them. They make it impossibe for the child to have the volume up enough to harm their ears. There are probably some wireless versions by now too.
Who are they? where? Any websites? Are these volume level limiters smart enough to adjust if the media changes? lots of questions. :)

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Who are they? where? Any websites? Are these volume level limiters smart enough to adjust if the media changes? lots of questions. :)
I always bought ours from Frys here locally. But there are a bunch of different brands listed on Amazon, and Target also sells them.. both online and in stores. I bet Best Buy has them as well.

The key thing you are looking for is a headset that is either hardwired to limit volume to 84db, or has a switch control to set the same 84db limit. Not all kids headphones on Amazon have volume limiters in them.. so you have to read the details. Note: some volume limited headphones for kids are limit set at 95db... which is above WHO recommendations for kids ear protection.

A couple examples of the better rated ones on Amazon are these, but there are many to choose from on Amazon:

Wired: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Headpho...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== (only caution on this one is the volume limiter is not hard wired... it is WHO compliant at 85db but it is set by a switch.. which kids can defeat, unless you tape over it or or glue it in place)

Wireless: https://www.amazon.com/Puro-Sound-L...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= (Hardwired to the WHO recommended volume limit of 84db)

General search for these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=volume+l...adphones+for+kids,aps,204&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_34

General search for these on Target.com: https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm...phones|||service&searchRawTerm=volume+limited

Have fun shopping. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always bought ours from Frys here locally. But there are a bunch of different brands listed on Amazon, and Target also sells them.. both online and in stores. I bet Best Buy has them as well.

The key thing you are looking for is a headset that is either hardwired to limit volume to 84db, or has a switch control to set the same 84db limit. Not all kids headphones on Amazon have volume limiters in them.. so you have to read the details. Note: some volume limited headphones for kids are limit set at 95db... which is above WHO recommendations for kids ear protection.

A couple examples of the better rated ones on Amazon are these, but there are many to choose from on Amazon:

Wired: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Headpho...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== (only caution on this one is the volume limiter is not hard wired... it is WHO compliant at 85db but it is set by a switch.. which kids can defeat, unless you tape over it or or glue it in place)

Wireless: https://www.amazon.com/Puro-Sound-L...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= (Hardwired to the WHO recommended volume limit of 84db)

General search for these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=volume+limited+headphones+for+kids&crid=1ZJJ1MJOQRR50&sprefix=volume+limited+headphones+for+kids,aps,204&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_34

General search for these on Target.com: https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=volume+limited+headphones&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&tref=typeahead|term|0|volume+limited+headphones|||service&searchRawTerm=volume+limited

Have fun shopping. :)
Thank you for the great info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts