Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a reference to this in another post and would like to hear from people that have installed it, both the good and the not so good. I have a 2016 CR-V EX, so it has no Apple Car Play, and would like to use Google Maps or Waze on the screen. My main concerns are:

1. Does this allow you to control apps from the car screen, or does it have to be done on the phone?
2. Does the radio audio still come through when using an app like Waze or Google Maps?
3. Are there any features that are lost or impaired after installation?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I heard back from CRUX, the people who make the VIMHn-96 and they answered my questions:

Would a map app, like Google Maps or Waze, be controlled by the touch screen or would it still be the phone?
- No, controls will be done from the device you are mirroring.

Would radio audio still come through while using a navigation app?
- No, the radio will be in the media mode used for viewing the option. (A/V in, HDMI, etc.)

Would I still have to access the Honda Link App to use other apps?
- Yes

Are there any features/functions of the original radio system that are impacted or lost?
- Nothing will be lost.

After reading this I came to the conclusion that I am not going to spend $150 on this cable. I did break down and bought the Honda Navigation app and find it is nowhere near as bad as people have said. I like that I can use the touchscreen with the app and that the radio will play while using it. Based on the answers they gave, I don't see this as much of an improvement.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
66 Posts
Well, I heard back from CRUX, the people who make the VIMHn-96 and they answered my questions:

Would a map app, like Google Maps or Waze, be controlled by the touch screen or would it still be the phone?
- No, controls will be done from the device you are mirroring.

Would radio audio still come through while using a navigation app?
- No, the radio will be in the media mode used for viewing the option. (A/V in, HDMI, etc.)

Would I still have to access the Honda Link App to use other apps?
- Yes

Are there any features/functions of the original radio system that are impacted or lost?
- Nothing will be lost.

After reading this I came to the conclusion that I am not going to spend $150 on this cable. I did break down and bought the Honda Navigation app and find it is nowhere near as bad as people have said. I like that I can use the touchscreen with the app and that the radio will play while using it. Based on the answers they gave, I don't see this as much of an improvement.
All True; I already anticipated that I will have a very limited use if i buy that cable. My intention really was to make use of the 7 inch screen for navigation - so i buy the cable just to try how useful it would be. Result - it will just only mirror what is in your phone (so controls would be on your phone and not the unit). For navigation full control, you have to buy the honda nav app for this and from the reviews i'm getting i did not buy the app. so the cable adapter is now in my storage area - unused.

Maybe in the future i will replace the unit with an applecarplay/android auto compatible aftermarket radio. Already did the upgrade on my 3 old hondas (element, civic08,civic13)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obetbalx,

I finally broke down and bought the Honda navigation app. I don’t think it’s anywhere as bad as people say it is, maybe they cleaned it up. I’ve been using it for over a month and am pretty happy. However, I still feel it’s a tad pricey, but compared to a GPS, or radio replacement, it’s cheap.

I also bought a radio intending to replace mine. The cable adapters were only plugged on one end. I feel I’m am good with things like wiring, soldering, etc., but I wasn’t ready to take this on. I felt just one mistake and either the radio or car components could be shot, do I returned it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts