Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that most people are going to say the VIN etching is a waste of money and you can do it yourself for like $25-$50 if you really wanted it... BUT I did pay the $200 for it on my contract. Here is my question before I raise hell and get this $200 back from the dealer:

I'm tying to figure out if I've been tricked by the dealer... I was told that VIN etching is required in all new vehicles and comes standard in the 2020 Honda CR-V. When looking at all the windows on the vehicle I purchased, I asked where it was and was told it was on the bottom of the windows, behind the door panels and is microscopic which didn't make much sense to me because isn't it supposed to be visible to deter thieves?

Thoughts? Has anyone got the etching and please attach an image showing it's location? You can cross some of it out if you want, I just need ammo if they were in the wrong and lied.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,164 Posts
Sounds like the emperor's clothing. While some states like CT do require that dealers offer VIN etching, no states require that consumers purchase it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Sounds like the emperor's clothing. While some states like CT do require that dealers offer VIN etching, no states require that consumers purchase it.
Also if the dealer said it comes standard on the vehicle why are you having to pay extra for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after further inspection... They took the "Vin Etching: $198" from the break down sheet and called it "Vehicle Protection Program: $198" on the actual purchase order. The anti-theft protection is a 36 month, $2,500 benefit if your vehicle is stolen within 3 years as long as the "dealer certifies that the vehicle descrided*not a typo on the declarations page* above has the Theft Deterrent System installed or applied, all guranteed benefits described within this Agreement are hereby granted to the buyer registered above"

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
My 07 Accord has it and it is visible, but barely. It was paid for by one of the two prevous owners for some aftermarket thing, probably anti-theft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I had a feeling this was a joke. They made it seem that this VIN Etching was required and non-negotiable and law/required by insurance. I should have done more homework and been smarter on that charge, shame on me.

I might go back in and raise some hell I think for being manipulated :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yep, see if you can get your money back. But also check your insurane co., a few companies will give you a couple of dollars off your insurance rate if you have the VIN engraved on the glass but you have to ask.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Back when I got my 2012 CR-V the dealer finance guy told me it was the law that I had to watch this video on an aftermarket warranty they were trying to sell me (not the Honda one!) and I had to sign a form that they had in fact shown it to me and that I had declined. I called them out for BS and told them no way in hell would I watch it or pay for it. There is no such law!
Dealers will tell you all sorts of bull chit to try to milk more money out of you. I have been known to walk out and refuse to finish a deal when they play these games. (they back track really fast when you do that). As for getting your money back, you can try but I am betting they will fight it and not admit saying any such thing. They will swear they were honest with you and you misunderstood or just changed your mind. They lied to you once, why would they be honest now?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I understand that most people are going to say the VIN etching is a waste of money and you can do it yourself for like $25-$50 if you really wanted it... BUT I did pay the $200 for it on my contract. Here is my question before I raise hell and get this $200 back from the dealer:

I'm tying to figure out if I've been tricked by the dealer... I was told that VIN etching is required in all new vehicles and comes standard in the 2020 Honda CR-V. When looking at all the windows on the vehicle I purchased, I asked where it was and was told it was on the bottom of the windows, behind the door panels and is microscopic which didn't make much sense to me because isn't it supposed to be visible to deter thieves?

Thoughts? Has anyone got the etching and please attach an image showing it's location? You can cross some of it out if you want, I just need ammo if they were in the wrong and lied.
Did the VIN etching also come with a jar of Vaseline?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,758 Posts
Doors hoids etc all have vin stickers from factory

media and the AG office of consumer affairs where you are would love this.There is always American Honda to....,

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would possibly consider it for a high high costing car, but I would have to check with the insurance company would get a discount and if it is mandatory. Also I would ask the dealer to show proof so I can confirm online. Ultimately I believe I would decline. Please let know the general location (state), if you can. As much as we want to know the specific dealer, we all don't want any retribution come back on you. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,955 Posts
Local Police did it for FREE. and Insurance taken off a percentage, today I should walk out and see if my 2020 has it and was not on the sticker price at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Live and learn!
I was told years back at Acura that they all come with etching and told them I was walking and the story changed quickly. I now make it very clear in advance with the sales person I will not purchase extras. No rust proofing, no protection package (I have my own insurance), no extended warranty. Research was done in advance and quotes were solicited from 3 dealers I had earlier visited to test drive, each understanding they had only one chance at an offer. I don’t get the high pressure push by the business manager I had years back as they know I will leave very quickly. I swear I was with the business manager 5 minutes maximum this past purchase. I began the conversation telling him I understood what would likely be offerred and that I did not want anything extra at all...no rust proofing, etching, extended warranty etc etc..He gave me some documents showing what was offered and finalized the sale quickly.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Doors hoids etc all have vin stickers from factory

media and the AG office of consumer affairs where you are would love this.There is always American Honda to....,
^^ Exactly.

Glass may or may not.. but you know what.. vehicles don't get stolen for glass, it's for the much more expensive components.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Back when I got my 2012 CR-V the dealer finance guy told me it was the law that I had to watch this video on an aftermarket warranty they were trying to sell me (not the Honda one!) and I had to sign a form that they had in fact shown it to me and that I had declined. I called them out for BS and told them no way in hell would I watch it or pay for it. There is no such law!
Dealers will tell you all sorts of bull chit to try to milk more money out of you. I have been known to walk out and refuse to finish a deal when they play these games. (they back track really fast when you do that). As for getting your money back, you can try but I am betting they will fight it and not admit saying any such thing. They will swear they were honest with you and you misunderstood or just changed your mind. They lied to you once, why would they be honest now?
I commend you for walking out. This is the buyer's best tool. A word concerning 'Extended Warranties'. They are actualy Service Contracts, not a warranty. If you choose to get one, know that the price is negotiable, even if they say it isn't. If they say it is not, then walk. If you still wish to get this optional coverage, BUY ONLY THE ONE OFFERRED FROM THE FACTORY! i.e. HondaCare for Hondas etc. The dealers offerred others as they make a higher profit on them. These are harder to administrate in the dealers' service department as many of them require prior authorization and if the dealer is in California and the Warranty Co. is in Pistol Grip Arkansas or further back East, they must wait until the next day. This is not good for the service department or the customer. I know. I was a service manager for over 30 years. The factory backed HondaCare covers what it says it covers. Period. No prior necesary. Everyone is happy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I commend you for walking out. This is the buyer's best tool. A word concerning 'Extended Warranties'. They are actualy Service Contracts, not a warranty. If you choose to get one, know that the price is negotiable, even if they say it isn't. If they say it is not, then walk. If you still wish to get this optional coverage, BUY ONLY THE ONE OFFERRED FROM THE FACTORY! i.e. HondaCare for Hondas etc. The dealers offerred others as they make a higher profit on them. These are harder to administrate in the dealers' service department as many of them require prior authorization and if the dealer is in California and the Warranty Co. is in Pistol Grip Arkansas or further back East, they must wait until the next day. This is not good for the service department or the customer. I know. I was a service manager for over 30 years. The factory backed HondaCare covers what it says it covers. Period. No prior necesary. Everyone is happy.
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the Honda Care warranty can be purchased usually at a lot less then the dealer will offer you. Check online, sometimes almost half what is quoted.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Sorry, but I call B.S. on this. I live in Westchester County, NY (yes, the home of COVID-19) and from time to time, local police departments offer the etching on a Saturday if you make an appointment in advance. Often it's done free of charge but I think most of us make a donation to the PBA to say "thank you."

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the Honda Care warranty can be purchased usually at a lot less then the dealer will offer you. Check online, sometimes almost half what is quoted.

True, but some states prohibit buying an out of state extended service agreement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts