Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips, info on getting the Voice Recognition to work properly with the Samsung Galaxy S5? I have a 2015 CRV.
It's horrible!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this? I cannot get the voice recognition to work in general without a phone. I say "find nearest McDonald's" I speak it, I yell it, I whisper it. I've gotten other people to try saying it. Everything is off in the car and it's quiet and 85% of the time, she just says "pardon, I didn't hear a commend" or gives me a list of book stores or some other stupid response. It's so so so so so frustrating!

I just end up using my phone but my husband doesn't have a smart phone and would like to be able to use the INCLUDED navigation that CAME with the car that we PAID for.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's not a valid voice command for the vehicle's head unit (stereo/nav). The list of voice commands is available on the vehicle's screen, for review. The voice recognition in the vehicle is independent of the phone, and a phone is not required at all. "Find nearest Mcdonalds" would work directly with your Android's Google Search or Apple Siri, but not with the vehicle's navigation system.

When Android Auto and Apple Carplay support come out in the 2017 model, I believe that will change and they'll be married together seamlessly. The 2015/16 doesnt support this, unfortunately.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Rhody401. I just took a photo of the voice help in my car which may be different then yours. It says I'm supposed to be able to say "find nearest......" Is there some reason McDonalds is exempt from this? I've tried other things like "find nearest fast food" "find nearest restaurant" View attachment 56890 View attachment 56890 etc. she just keeps on saying "pardon.....!" ugh :(

That's not a valid voice command for the vehicle's head unit (stereo/nav). The list of voice commands is available on the vehicle's screen, for review. The voice recognition in the vehicle is independent of the phone, and a phone is not required at all. "Find nearest Mcdonalds" would work directly with your Android's Google Search or Apple Siri, but not with the vehicle's navigation system.

When Android Auto and Apple Carplay support come out in the 2017 model, I believe that will change and they'll be married together seamlessly. The 2015/16 doesnt support this, unfortunately.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didnt realize that it had that command. I just checked the user's manual. It does have limited lookup commands, which are as of the year before the car was manufactured. (when the head unit data was compiled). It's still not talking with the phone or internet for this info, though. Here are the valid FIND THE NEAREST.... commands that it will accept.

Find Nearest FAST FOOD might find you a McDonalds. :)

Find nearest (specify place):
Fuel and auto
ACURA dealers
HONDA dealers
Gas station
Hydrogen station
Auto parts & electronics
Auto repair & maintenance
Car wash & detailing
Motorcycle dealers
Other car dealers
Roadside assistance
ATM and bank
ATM
Bank
Check cashing
Community
Business
City hall
Civic center
Convention center
Court house
Higher education
Library
Post office
School
Emergency room
Hospital
Police station
Veterinarian
Lodging
Bed & breakfast
Hotel
Recreation
Amusement park
Golf course
Historical monument
Marina
Movie theater
Museum
Park
Performing arts
Sports complex
Tourist attraction
Restaurant
American restaurant
Californian restaurant
Chinese restaurant
Coffee shop
Continental restaurant
Fast food
French restaurant
German restaurant
Indian restaurant
Italian restaurant
Japanese restaurant
Korean restaurant
Mexican restaurant
Pizza
Seafood restaurant
Thai restaurant
Vegetarian restaurant
Vietnamese restaurant
Other restaurant
Shopping area
Accessory store
Book store (Music, Video)
Clothing store
Grocery store
Home improvement store
Mall
Office supply store
Pharmacy
Pet food store
Sewing store
Shoe store
Sporting goods store
Toy store
Travel center
Airport
Automobile club
Bus station
Camping
Commuter rail station
Ferry terminal
Named place
Park & ride
Parking garage
Parking lot
Rental car agency
Rest area
Ski area
Tourist information
Train station
Travel agency
Truck stop

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks I've tried several of those. Gas station, fast food (as I mentioned, etc.) she just always says "pardon....." Maybe mine is defective. It's very annoying and I mean to make a post about it sooner when I saw this person posted about it today so I added to this one. Like I said, I end up just using my phone, but my husband does not have a smart phone so if he is in the car by himself, he cannot "speak" any of the commands to it. He doesn't know how to type it in if you even can... I don't know. Plus it comes with the car so it should work. If anyone has actually gotten this to work, I'd love to know what you did?? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts