Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got a 2016 EX-L. My iPhone is paired. Using voice recognition, it is taking me an unholy amount of attempts to call someone. If I say "Call John Doe", either someone else's name comes up, or I'm told that the command was not recognized. If I say "Call 15555551212", maybe the first three or four digits are recognized. I have completely given up on the vehicle's voice recognition, and have begun using Siri Eyes Free.

Is this typical of the CR-V's voice recognition abilities??

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is the ambient noise level inside the vehicle when attempting to speak?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are you doing the long press on the left steering wheel button? (which I believe will accept SIRI commands directly, through the vehicle's microphone), or a regular push/prompt?

Here is a list of the valid voice 2015/16 commands for the regular push. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjJg-2Ojf7NAhXBpx4KHYPhA4oQFggpMAI&url=http://owners.honda.com/utility/download?path=/static/pdfs/2015/CR-V/2015_CR-V_Voice_Recognition.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEoEKY4ukibylCQqX-NdcItjzUVpg&sig2=R14Yy2B4SwjlaEzKUQrl2g&cad=rja

My car recognizes me fine, but I find the commands themselves to be too difficult/too many steps. Entering an address for the nav is broken down to a long and painful process, vs using a smartphone app like WAZE where you just say the full address or name of the place, for example.

You can also add voice tags to certain (vehicle) directory entries, so you can call them up by name.

I'm not an iphone user, but chiming in anyways with something hopefully useful. I believe Android works exactly the same, except that it recognizes the long push to call up the phone's voice assistant directly. I have to do the same thing by saying HELLO GOOGLE or touching the phone with a long press. (Android S6) when done this way, it is listening with the phone's microphone. A regular push or long push (iphone only) is listening with the vehicle mic. (my understanding)

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The long press is Siri Eyes Free which is what I've resorted to. It uses my iPhone instead of the vehicle, as I'm understanding it. The short press uses the vehicle, and that's what I've given up on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah that voice recognition really sucks... i usually say call "(insert name) mobile" and then it just just sits there waiting. So to counter that i now just have key people on speed dial and touch their name on my HUD, or screen, to start calling them. It's a whole lot quicker and less frustrating.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had trouble with the VR in my 2016 Aussie CRV too, I worked it out I was talking too slowly instead of just using normal speech speed as if talking to a friend or wife.

P.S. I don't have the Sat/Nav on my 7" Touchscreen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had trouble with the VR in my 2016 Aussie CRV too, I worked it out I was talking too slowly instead of just using normal speech speed as if talking to a friend or wife.

P.S. I don't have the Sat/Nav on my 7" Touchscreen.
I've tried fast, slow, in-between. It just doesn't work well in any case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have an east TN southern accent and I have rarely experienced voice recognition issues. The key to successful voice rec. is to speak naturally. Don't try to chop up the words in your sentences or you will have problems. The older systems were much more likely to need help than the newer ones. Now putting breaks between words will cause a lot of recog. problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts