Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the amount of oil needed (including a filter change) to have the resulting oil level be exactly in the middle between the Min and Max holes?

I have grown tired of siphoning out my dealer overfills, so I am going to have my mechanic do my oil change with Honda oil and a filter that I purchased at my dealer for warranty reasons.
So when I take him my oil I want to give him the exact amount needed. Low is OK since my only automotive mechanical skill is adding fluids.

BTW: Honda 0W-20 Full Synthetic PN: 08798-9063 is SN+. I paid $6.30 a quart.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,012 Posts
Per owner's manual its Page 148 since I am to lazy to read it I know its 3 quarts 7 ounces. you'll bring in 4 Qts and your machanic should know what to do without you telling him.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 1.5L turbo oil capacity is 3.7 quarts with oil and filter change; 3.4 if just oil. Those amounts take it to the full mark. If you want it less, deduct 0.5 quarts from those numbers.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Incidentally, I just did a change for a friend whose '07 2.4 Accord was low on oil. (Not enough for the pressure light, but low enough for valve-lifter noise. I didn't measure, but I estimate there was just a little over 2qt in the crankcase.) Listed was just under 4.5 quarts w/ filter change. It totally took the full 5qt jug, even after letting it set for a few minutes before checking. Maybe the lifters were empty, and they don't normally drain-down during a change?

(FWIW, the VCG is completely blown, and that appears to be the cause of the leak; for now I'm swapping out her PCV and hoping that slows it down. She doesn't have a spare car or time to spend an afternoon at my house while the sealant on a new VCG cures. The oil pan gasket could also be blown, but I won't know until the VCG stops leaking.)

Did another change recently for a friend with a 2.0 Civic, and while it wasn't yet noticeably low, Jiffy Lube totally forgot to tighten the oil filter. I thought it was usually the *opposite* problem with Jiffy lube! There was a slight drip, and no resistance at all to me spinning it off. They also threw away the drain plug washer that I put on there myself the last time I changed the oil on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Per owner's manual its Page 148 since I am to lazy to read it I know its 3 quarts 7 ounces. you'll bring in 4 Qts and your machanic should know what to do without you telling him.
3.7 quarts is actually 3 quarts and 22.4 ounces. Not 3 quarts 7 ounces. Had to look that up because who knows how many ounces .7 quarts is off the top of their head? This is why you Americans need to join the rest of the world and finally adopt the metric system. If we were taking about litres, 3.7L would be exactly 3 litres and 700 millilitres. Easy! I mean you have already gone partially metric anyway. How many cubic inches is your CR-V engine? Nobody uses C.I. anymore. It's easily referred to as a 1.5L or 2.4L. You've got your 9mm handguns, your 2L Pepsi, your kilos of cocaine........ just change everything else over to go with it!
The worst offender is tire sizes. A 235mm tire on a 18 inch rim. Lets just use metric and imperial in the same description!!

I'm joking..... No bad will intended.. Love my American neighbours, we are a big family here in North America with more things in common than differences. Please don't take offence.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Incidentally, I just did a change for a friend whose '07 2.4 Accord was low on oil. (Not enough for the pressure light, but low enough for valve-lifter noise. I didn't measure, but I estimate there was just a little over 2qt in the crankcase.) Listed was just under 4.5 quarts w/ filter change. It totally took the full 5qt jug, even after letting it set for a few minutes before checking. Maybe the lifters were empty, and they don't normally drain-down during a change?

(FWIW, the VCG is completely blown, and that appears to be the cause of the leak; for now I'm swapping out her PCV and hoping that slows it down. She doesn't have a spare car or time to spend an afternoon at my house while the sealant on a new VCG cures. The oil pan gasket could also be blown, but I won't know until the VCG stops leaking.)

Did another change recently for a friend with a 2.0 Civic, and while it wasn't yet noticeably low, Jiffy Lube totally forgot to tighten the oil filter. I thought it was usually the *opposite* problem with Jiffy lube! There was a slight drip, and no resistance at all to me spinning it off. They also threw away the drain plug washer that I put on there myself the last time I changed the oil on it.
How are you finding valve lifter noise, an bled down lifters.... on an engine that doesn’t use valve lifters?
Just asking.

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
DID I boo boo

Yep I said ounces Lol but this is how it's done

·
Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
171 Posts
3.7 quarts is actually 3 quarts and 22.4 ounces. Not 3 quarts 7 ounces. Had to look that up because who knows how many ounces .7 quarts is off the top of their head? This is why you Americans need to join the rest of the world and finally adopt the metric system. If we were taking about litres, 3.7L would be exactly 3 litres and 700 millilitres. Easy! I mean you have already gone partially metric anyway. How many cubic inches is your CR-V engine? Nobody uses C.I. anymore. It's easily referred to as a 1.5L or 2.4L. You've got your 9mm handguns, your 2L Pepsi, your kilos of cocaine........ just change everything else over to go with it!
The worst offender is tire sizes. A 235mm tire on a 18 inch rim. Lets just use metric and imperial in the same description!!

I'm joking..... No bad will intended.. Love my American neighbours, we are a big family here in North America with more things in common than differences. Please don't take offence.
No offense bro... I'm 70 and a USA'er but our SAE system and half assed attempt at using metrics is confusing and stupid........metric is so much easier.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts

I agree with you 100%. Uhm, wait, how many is the in metric??? :confused2::whistle:

Are your rim sizes in Canada measured in inches?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 2 times I had the Honda dealer in 2 different states ( Pa & Az) changed the oil and filter they overfilled and I had to have them take oil out. So even those “Certified” folks in the dealership have no clue how to open the manual and check.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I change my own oil, I use a set of ramps so the vehicle is on a bit of angle when I drain the old oil and change the filter. I put in 3 1/2 quarts, drive it off the ramps, checked the oil again, added nearly another 1/2 quart to bring it to the full mark. So in my case, about 3.9 quarts. Yes, I checked it per the owners manual, ~3 min after turning the engine off. Checked the oil again yesterday, two weeks after I did the change, oil looks good, right at the full mark. So, there seems to be a bit of variation on how much you put back in after draining the old.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I do know it's less than 4 quarts, however on our first oil change the dealer charged me for five quarts and I complained (stating the obvious 4 quart max fill).

I got nowhere and felt it was not worth the argument, the oil level was at the correct level...

Then we had the 'fix' done and Honda only paid for four quarts even though I did happily pay for a new filter.

The next time the CR-V needs to go in for an oil change I will bring in Mobil 1 and ONLY four quarts.

I did it for years with this dealership and now I'm doing it again, Honda synthetic oil will nor longer be purchased by me.

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
thanks this reminds me to go buy a new Oil catcher wanted the same one that no longer is made hate being subject to one store Lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback!
And bringing up the silliness of dividing a quart into tenths.

I don’t want to go thru the effort of driving back to the dealer or my siphoning out the overfill by the Honda technician. I’m pretty sure the oil change guys are unaware that CRVs now have 2 different engines, so they just use the same amount that they have been using for years or just dump in 4 quarts before checking. Both of my dealer oil changes have resulted in oil to at least the top of the orange or 1/16” above it.
One thing that I discovered when I siphoned out my latest overfill, other than oil tastes bad, is that 7/16 of an inch on the dipstick equals 18 ounces of oil. The other thing I discovered is that my OD problem has been greatly diminished since I managed to get my initial oil level to 1/16” below the Max hole. I am hoping that if I can get my cold oil level to the Ideal spot, midway between Min and Max, my OD will be further lessened.

So, I plan on providing 3.3 quarts of oil to my mechanic. His shop is less than 2 miles from my home so I doubt the drive back to my place will do any damage even if it is a little lower than ideal.
At home I will be able to enjoy my only DIY skill and slowly add oil while trying to read the Orange Monster.

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
3Qts given you do the rest no harm can be done but the words on this Forum . then add in the rest on your Own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Uhm, wait, how many is the in metric??? :confused2::whistle:

Are your rim sizes in Canada measured in inches?

Rim sizes are measured in inches in Canada. As far as I know the same system is worldwide. Tire width in mm, rim diameter and width in inches. Doesn't really make sense does it?
:confused2:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rim sizes are measured in inches in Canada. As far as I know the same system is worldwide. Tire width in mm, rim diameter and width in inches. Doesn't really make sense does it?
:confused2:
The only exception to the inches rim size that I can remember is the ill fated TRX System by Michelin introduced in the late 70s. They were purposely made in metric so conventional tires couldn’t be used on the TRX rims. Needless to say they were expensive and rare.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dipsticks are often found to be inaccurate. The proper method is to add exactly what the Owners Manual recommends and then look at where it is on the dipstick.

Do you see the MIN/MAX marks on the dipstick? That is an indication that an engine operates correctly anywhere in that range. There is zero benefit to keeping it directly in the middle.

There are constant complaints on this forum that dealer service departments constantly overfill. Yet I have not heard one complaintant say they approached the service manager to ask for clarification.

If all these Honda owners really think that a Honda Service Tech lacks even the most basic skillset to properly add oil then why does anyone possibly trust them with more technical repairs?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts