Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm looking at some used (off lease) 2014 CR-V LXs with approx. 35k for a bit under $16k. The dealer has several and I nearly bought one already, but after much research, the one thing I'm kind of hung up on is the VTC issue. Here's my questions regarding the VTC actuator noise on start-up:

1. Were you aware of the issues prior to purchasing the car? If so, do you have any regrets?

2. What's the consensus on the long term wear? People seem to be concerned of timing chain wear from what I have seen?

This seems to be a very common problem, but I can't find much about catastrophic engine failures, so maybe that says something? I live in Pennsylvania so I'll definitely have the cold weather to trigger the noise. Since it's spring (kind of) now it's not that cold and I won't be able to hear it before I buy.

Thanks for any input on this subject as well as any other issues I should watch out for while CR-V shopping!

·
Banned
806 Posts
I knew nothing about the noise and bought my CR-V new. I bought it on a whim as it fit what I was looking for in a vehicle.

As far as the engine issues, as far as I can tell it is just noisy. Even if it is cold it may not do it on the first start of the day. It seems to me that some in warmer climates have had the issue too. I had mine replaced a year ago and the sound is back. Their updated part didn't resolve the issue. I haven't heard of any catastrophic engine damage due to it. Just noisy. I have though heard that there have been a couple on here that have had engine damage after having it replaced. I tend to believe the technician did something wrong, as it happens shortly after getting their car back. Even if it is cold it may not make the rattle, which is why I haven't gone back to the dealer and left it for them to duplicate it. It is hit and miss for me at this point.

I haven't heard of timing chain wear being an issue tied to the VTC.

One thing that I would watch for is that the heat out of all drivers side vent and the center vents is fairly even. If the drivers vent is noticeably cooler the heater core needs to be flushed. I had mine done and it seems to have fixed the issue at this point. Google "honda heater core tsb" and it will be the first thing that comes up.

IMO, every car is going to have some sort of issues. You just have decide what is acceptable.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I knew nothing about the noise and bought my CR-V new. I bought it on a whim as it fit what I was looking for in a vehicle.

As far as the engine issues, as far as I can tell it is just noisy. Even if it is cold it may not do it on the first start of the day. It seems to me that some in warmer climates have had the issue too. I had mine replaced a year ago and the sound is back. Their updated part didn't resolve the issue. I haven't heard of any catastrophic engine damage due to it. Just noisy. I have though heard that there have been a couple on here that have had engine damage after having it replaced. I tend to believe the technician did something wrong, as it happens shortly after getting their car back. Even if it is cold it may not make the rattle, which is why I haven't gone back to the dealer and left it for them to duplicate it. It is hit and miss for me at this point.

I haven't heard of timing chain wear being an issue tied to the VTC.

One thing that I would watch for is that the heat out of all drivers side vent and the center vents is fairly even. If the drivers vent is noticeably cooler the heater core needs to be flushed. I had mine done and it seems to have fixed the issue at this point. Google "honda heater core tsb" and it will be the first thing that comes up.

IMO, every car is going to have some sort of issues. You just have decide what is acceptable.

Hope that helps some.
I agree 100%. There is no perfect vehicle. The honor of being known as a great car is due to having the least issues as a vehicle and the acceptability of the issues that are present. Even at that there is still a matter of what is acceptable to you.

I love my mk3 crv and i loved my 6th gen civic ex sedan even though its trunk kept flooding when it rained. :)

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I posted in another thread about this issue, and I've really gone into the weeds with the dealership trying to fix it. Probably further than most customers. I've also spent a lot of time reading about the issue, consulting with car professionals I know, and getting educated overall on this problem. Reason being? I'm very anal about car care and maintenance. So a rattling noise like this is to me worse than being waterboarded (which I've done by the way, but that's another story).

I have a 2013 CRV EX-L with just over 33k miles on it as of today. The VTC "rattle" first started not long after I bought the car from my mom. She hadn't heard the noise before, but then again, she hops in and goes and doesn't mind things like that.

The dealership has had three cracks at it. They've replaced the actuator twice and it's still rattling, though not as often. Its going in for a fourth time on Monday to see if its possibly something else in that area of the engine. I've ruled out a number of things with the dealerships input, so we'll see.

Honda swears by its life that it's just noisy and won't damage the car. 33k miles is nothing on a car. Not even worn in. So if it comes down to me having to live with the periodic rattle, so be it; and if Honda is correct in what it claims at 200k miles, then I'll eat my hat. Other car professionals I know personally who do radio shows and the like also agree that its not a problem they forsee damaging the car, either. Just an annoyance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for taking the time to write such detailed replies. It sounds like an annoyance, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Also thanks for the tip on the heat coming out of the driver's vents. I had read about certain CRVs needing a heater core flush, but wasn't sure what the symptoms were, so thanks for that!

I'll come back and post some pics if I buy one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm looking at some used (off lease) 2014 CR-V LXs with approx. 35k for a bit under $16k. The dealer has several and I nearly bought one already, but after much research, the one thing I'm kind of hung up on is the VTC issue. Here's my questions regarding the VTC actuator noise on start-up:

1. Were you aware of the issues prior to purchasing the car? If so, do you have any regrets?

2. What's the consensus on the long term wear?
I just found out that my girlfriend's recently purchased used CRV may have this issue...and we never suspected anything like this on a Honda engine, because well, it's a Honda.

Do I have regrets? for her sake..not really, as everything I've read makes me believe it's a nuisance, but not necessarily reason to scream "lemon" at this point anyway(then again, it was her money, not mine)
I'm new to this issue, so I cant even surmise the consensus on long term wear, based on what's been posted thus far.
the one thing I'm glad about is that there is resource, such as this forum where if its becomes source of concern for Honda, or a recall, I'm certain I'll hear about it here, first.:p
And...as Daniel Tosh says after a web redemption video: "...and for that, we thank you!"

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
everything I've read makes me believe it's a nuisance, but not necessarily reason to scream "lemon" at this point
Depends where you live. Here in Michigan, where I am, I actually consulted with an attorney regarding this. Had my CR-V been lower miles and newer in terms of model years, I would have had a claim to argue under Michigan's lemon law. Honda's internal arbitration mechanism would also seem to rule me out due to age/mileage as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depends where you live. Here in Michigan, where I am, I actually consulted with an attorney regarding this. Had my CR-V been lower miles and newer in terms of model years, I would have had a claim to argue under Michigan's lemon law. Honda's internal arbitration mechanism would also seem to rule me out due to age/mileage as well.
Yes, it does depend where you live, so I meant it in terms of just that.

And in Massachusetts, lemon laws cover new and used but only in defects "that affect the use or safety of the vehicle.."
"The Used Vehicle Warranty Law protects consumers who buy used vehicles from a dealer or private party in Massachusetts. ( M.G.L. c. 90 §7N 1/4) The law requires dealers to provide consumers with a written warranty against defects that impair the vehicle's use or safety, and requires private parties to disclose any known use or safety defects."

So far, with as much as I read about it, this issue isn't either of those things...yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts