Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drive close to 20 late model CRV EXL cars within family.

Not for business, just large family.

All 2012 and up.

Have discovered that the VTC, timing chain, oil passages, very sensitive to proper oil level, oil filter, oil purity, micron size contaminants.

Was able to eliminate startup noise on all of our cars without replacing the VTC pin components.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
So what you're saying is, if you have the problem you should 1) Use Honda oil filters 2) use Honda oil 3) maintain the oil level between the full/add lines 4) change the oil at the recommended intervals [MM] and you'll be fine.
Correct?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Mine made the slight noise the other day a couple of days after getting an oil change at Honda with what I'm assuming was Honda oil, etc. so having all those points checked off didn't seem to really matter. The only thing that has worked for me is the ignition trick.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My '14 made the noise yesterday leaving work, EVEN AFTER cycling the key on-off-on, wait, crank.

It was brutally cold yesterday, so I think when temps are that cold, even cycling the key does not prevent the noise in my car, unfortunately!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you sure it was the vtc actuator and not the starter? When I do mine, no more vtc grind only starter grind. I always wonder if Honda installs smaller batteries on purpose to save weight, but to counter this smaller CCA they install a more aggressive starter that don't end up disengaging or stopping in time when the CRV fires up.

As for oil.. I don't know the problem happened to me when I had 3,000 miles on the odometer. This was after they did the brake shift interlock recall. Everything was fine before, but when I went to visit someone on campus and started the CRV up to leave the CRV made this grinding sound.. 3K on the factory filled oil. When I had it changed out at 5,000 miles with full synthetic oil, still does it. The key thing does work for vtc actuator, but not so for the starter..

If the 2008 accords are still doing fine after 6 years, then I guess their might not be long term damage.. at least not in the 10 year lifespan of any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Interesting. I'm sure there's a distinction between the sound of the VTC actuator and the starter but I don't know what the differece would be off hand as the sound has always seemed the same to me. For all I know it could be the started on mine all along on really cold days and I'm thinking it's the vtc, or vice versa.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The other day when I was leaving work, I thought I heard the distinct sound of the starter failing to disengage. However, I truly think it just sounds that way from inside the car with the doors closed. With a door open, I can always hear the VCT actuator grind. I think people mistake the VCT sound for starter failure to disenage completly when the engine fires because I've found it does sound like that, again with all doors closed.

But that's just my theroy of course! :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That link still doesn't answer the question of how you stopped the noise from happening.

All it does is give a plausible explanation of why the dealers are reluctant to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2014 Honda CR-V that's VTC Actuator is being replaced right now. The noise started with less than 500 miles on the car. I kept taking it into the dealership as my 2010 model never made this sound. The dealership was unable to recreate it until today, 15,000 miles later... I'm glad it is at least being fixed. Every other time I brought it in they kept saying my oil level was low. The dealership is the only place I go to get my oil changed and it seems like I have to get my oil changed more frequently then recommended of the level drops.

·
Registered
644 Posts
VTC Actuator noise & engine block heater

Has anyone using the engine block heater experienced VTC actuator noise or failure?

Would appreciate responses from CRV owners using engine block heaters. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Genuser, I don't have an engine block heater but I am sure it would help to hide the noise of the VTC Actuator as mine has only done it in the colder and close to 30 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. I do know that this is a reoccurring problem with Honda's 2.4L engines since about 2006.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Genuser, I don't have an engine block heater but I am sure it would help to hide the noise of the VTC Actuator as mine has only done it in the colder and close to 30 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. I do know that this is a reoccurring problem with Honda's 2.4L engines since about 2006.
I am with you. So, it's possible the owners using engine block heater may not know their VTC is faulty until too late like when they are out of warranty.

·
Registered
2014 CRV
10 Posts
Here is what I did to fix the VTC startup noise problem

I use Pennzoil 10/40W full synthetic. After running it for about 2000 miles the noisy startup clatter from the variable valve timing sprocket went away - stopped in fact.
When the engine sits overnight the thin 0/5W recommended oil slowly drains out and the vanes inside the variable valve timing sprocket are free to slap back and forth until the engine oil pressure builds up and fills the four cavities.
While the noise doesn't cause any damage it certainly sounds bad and I am glad the problem is fixed. Not seeing any oil consumption and if my gas mileage drops just a little I don't care.
My 2014 CRV only has about 62K miles and everything else has been good except the charcoal canister fume collector has a sticky valve that keeps setting a code so I'll have to pull that out and clean or replace one of those two valves. Its a minor thing I'll get around to it......

I would like to hear from anyone else who has experimented with thicker oil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts