Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a thousand threads on the Variable Timing Control (VTC) actuator, but nothing unique to my specific problem, hence my thread.

All opinions welcome, so please sound off.

I purchased my 2013 Honda CR-V EX-L from my mom in January. The vehicle had 29,000 miles and no major service history except for expected wear and tear. Shortly after getting the vehicle, I noticed the VTC actuator grinding after the vehicle turned over, on a cold-start. This forum, along with YouTube, helped me figure out what it was.

I took the car into the dealership, and based on my observations alone, they put in a new VTC actuator under the powertrain warranty. Shortly after that fix, the noise continued. So I took it back for a second time. They kept the vehicle a whole week and couldn't replicate the noise. The day after I picked the vehicle up, the noise started again. Upon taking it back to the dealership a third time, they replicated the noise. Honda believed the replacement actuator was faulty and put in a new one. I got the car back last Tuesday.

Over the last week, it's only made the grinding once on a cold-start. The dealership has asked me to bring the car back a fourth time, which I am scheduled to do Monday, April 10, 2017.

As noted above, anyone with any thoughts, please share them.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read that thread. I used it quite extensively to help me determine that problem originally. Unfortunately, I'm no further ahead today with the issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That sound's already present on the 3rd gen crv and experienced twice only in my 2007 crv the past year. My 2012 yaris and girlfriend's 2014 yaris have the same sound and experienced it 3x and once respectively, in the past years combined.

Weird, and i NEVER overstart any car, as it sounds similar to overcranking an engine--let alone my 2012 yaris has an autostart wherein you let go of the key right after twisting (you dont hold it on crank) and it cranks by itself.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem with my 2012 CR-V EX-L and just had it repaired after warranty to the tune of over $650.00. Guess what, this is a design defect in the VTC Actuator that, and I believe I am correct, has never been corrected. I asked the service rep at the dealer where the repair was done if it might reoccur. He said, "yes". I bought this vehicle new in February 2012 and had no mechanical issues until when I hit about 63,000 miles. I read Service Bulletin 09-010 and it said that this problem affects many Honda models going back to 2008 at least. So, I am a little upset to say the least. This is a design flaw and it affects thousands of vehicles. To my mind, Honda should repair these for an extended warranty period beyond the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty. Also, the expression "cold start" is not necessarily about temperature. I have this problem with the VTC Actuator in South Carolina. I happens when the vehicles sits for about 10 hours. Once it starts, it won't happen again until it sits for about 10 hours.

I wrote Honda to complain. The rep told me to take it to a dealer and verify the VTC Actuator was bad, which I did. The rep then said she would look at my request to receive "some consideration" for the cost of repair since this was a known defect that was likely to result in an out of warranty repair. After the repair she said the VTC Actuator was covered under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty period and the cost of repair was on me. "Well, thank you very much, Honda!"

I am undecided if I will pursue litigation. I don't see this as a warranty issue at all. I see this as an unfair practices issue. I haven't researched all states, but most have a consumer protection law under an unfair trade practices statute. What makes this such an issue is Honda knew there was an excellent chance the VTC Actuator would fail in my vehicle when their dealership sold it to me. The ran the risk, that mine would be one of those vehicles, which might not have a problem in the warranty period. That's deceptive in my opinion. The advantage of filing suit under unfair trade practices is the plaintiff, if he or she wins, is entitled to treble damages (means 3 times actual damages) and legal fees. I would also recommend anyone who has experienced this problem and were denied coverage due to the expired warranty file at a minimum a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

That aside, and that is a lot to put aside, the only complaint I would have is road noise. Other than that I like the features in this vehicle and I get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems like the grinding comes back after replacing the bad actuator. My 2013 CR-V has this problem and I am not going to get it replaced since it eventually comes back. Does anyone know if it will cause any longterm damage to the engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts