Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
No recall, but there is a Service Bulletin for this issue - # 16-012

I have replaced the VTC in my 2014 CRV twice now and the sound still continues on cold morning start ups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any legal action that we can take with Honda? If t here is no fix for the VTC Actuator then why are they selling them? The resale value is diminshed due to this grinding noise. I love my 2012 CRV and it is paid off and now I have this horrible noise for the last 6 months! Honda says they don't have a campaign for this at this time but I have done research saying this problem started in 2007!!!! Has anyone pursued litigation?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depending on where you live in the US your car might still be covered under the emissions warranty. In some states it is good for 7/70. These states are : California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, NewJersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had the 16-012 update performed under warranty. When the weather gets colder I'll have a chance to see if it works.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I went to start the car yesterday and it 'made the noise'. I had last started it the day before to put in the garage after it sat on the driveway most of the day, so it was just a quick start, move into garage, shut it off, type of run.
I don't see why people get so upset about it. It's not hurting anything and is only indicating that the VTC is working properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too continue with the VTC Actuator struggle. I performed the VTC replacement procedure, and even replaced the timing chain + guides while I was at it. The VTC Actuator grinding stresses the chain. When I removed the old chain, it was an entire link longer than the new. Anyways, I replaced everything with the updated 14310-R5A-305 part at 104,598 miles in October 2017. Now in Jan 2019 with 125k miles it is grinding again on cold start-up. I don't really want to get in there and do it all again! Took me about 8 hours to do it myself, plus about $400 in parts + an oil change (I do an oil change anytime the engine is opened).

Now I'm left with leaving it grind, and replace again once it gets worse. at this rate I can't afford to do this every 20k miles!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please check with your dealer if the VTC actuator is covered by the emissions warranty. My 2012 CR-V has an 8 year/70K ULEV emissions warranty; it looks like Honda extended the warranty by a year. I went to the dealer a few days ago; however, I'm almost at 75K on my CR-V. It's a good thing I had my VTC actuator replaced at 24K miles, but the grinding noise intermittently comes back.

CA and a few other states have a 15/150K warranty for PZEVs.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
It appears Honda has two TSBs covering engine rattle on cold start. Both entail replacement of the VTC actuator.

TSB 09-010 Ver. 5 last updated Feb. 25, 2017. It covers the 2012 & 2013 V's and notes the warranty varies according to State.

TSB 16-012 Ver. 2 last updated Feb. 23, 2017. It covers the 2013 & 2014 V's and says the normal warranty applies. I've attached both.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too continue with the VTC Actuator struggle. I performed the VTC replacement procedure, and even replaced the timing chain + guides while I was at it. The VTC Actuator grinding stresses the chain. When I removed the old chain, it was an entire link longer than the new. Anyways, I replaced everything with the updated 14310-R5A-305 part at 104,598 miles in October 2017. Now in Jan 2019 with 125k miles it is grinding again on cold start-up. I don't really want to get in there and do it all again! Took me about 8 hours to do it myself, plus about $400 in parts + an oil change (I do an oil change anytime the engine is opened).

Now I'm left with leaving it grind, and replace again once it gets worse. at this rate I can't afford to do this every 20k miles!!
I had the same thing had mine replaced plus timing chain and same issue as you with the extra link. My mechanic got it fixed and for about 40k Miles it was fine but now the grinding has started again every time I crank the car and it sounds louder than the first time. I am very disappointed with Honda it is their problem but I paid to fix mine and now I guess I have to again. I will never buy another CRV again. Don’t trust their engineers

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I dropped my 2014 CR-V at the Honda dealer first thing this morning to have the VTC actuator replaced. After waiting for about an hour, the service writer came in and said they also need to replace the timing chain tensioner.

The bad news is a single line in the TSB near the top of Page 2:

The normal warranty applies.
I have more than 36,000 miles on my CR-V, so they looked up the date I purchased my CR-V, and it's been more than 5 years. So I have to pay for the repair.

Total for both is going to be a bit over US $800.
They gave me a 2016 Civic Coupe to drive while they're working on my CR-V. They said it would be done before they close today at 7 pm, and they'll call me when it's ready to be picked up.

So here's the odd/bad news: when I pulled up at 7:35 am there were 6 vehicles ahead of me in the service line.
ALL of them were CR-Vs, and based on the tailights, they were all newer than my 2014.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dropped my 2014 CR-V at the Honda dealer first thing this morning to have the VTC actuator replaced. After waiting for about an hour, the service writer came in and said they also need to replace the timing chain tensioner.

The bad news is a single line in the TSB near the top of Page 2:

I have more than 36,000 miles on my CR-V, so they looked up the date I purchased my CR-V, and it's been more than 5 years. So I have to pay for the repair.

Total for both is going to be a bit over US $800.
They gave me a 2016 Civic Coupe to drive while they're working on my CR-V. They said it would be done before they close today at 7 pm, and they'll call me when it's ready to be picked up.

So here's the odd/bad news: when I pulled up at 7:35 am there were 6 vehicles ahead of me in the service line.
ALL of them were CR-Vs, and based on the tailights, they were all newer than my 2014.
Pretty poor Honda's not covering it under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I'd phone Honda America and ask for consideration of warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The date I purchased my 2014 was more than 5 years ago, so no powertrain warranty coverage.

Total was just under US $800, and my CR-V is now safe and secure in my garage.

And yes, I'm going to reach out to American Honda Motor Corp about the situation.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
After some google searching, 1 thread I found indicated they'd found a solution (no idea if it's valid, no one commented after this so-called solution).

But, try it, who knows? They said to put key in ignition, turn to accessory position for a few seconds, then turn key off. Then turn key and start car.

They indicate the problem is a 'pin' in the actuator that isn't getting 'reset'. And that it's electrical and the above should 'reset' it.

Sounds plausible... I don't have the issue so can't validate it...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I preheat with oil pan heater and it will never do it - if i dont it will rattle- so apparrently the warmer oil pumps up sooner preventing noise-also good for engine wear as well, cheap,easy work around, plug in for 1-2 hours before first cold start of day- if that is too much trouble for you then you will have noise- no offense intended

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
So your recommendation is to buy an oil pan heater, then run it every day for 1-2 hours, and you won't experience the rattling sound?

I'm flying to visit family around Christmas, and my CR-V will be parked in an airport parking lot for 6 days. What are your recommendations for that situation?

·
Registered
492 Posts
After some google searching, 1 thread I found indicated they'd found a solution (no idea if it's valid, no one commented after this so-called solution).

But, try it, who knows? They said to put key in ignition, turn to accessory position for a few seconds, then turn key off. Then turn key and start car.

They indicate the problem is a 'pin' in the actuator that isn't getting 'reset'. And that it's electrical and the above should 'reset' it.

Sounds plausible... I don't have the issue so can't validate it...
The actuator pin issue only affects '15 and '16 V's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts