Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Racoon- its not the sound i worry about-its the potential wear on timing chain etc-obviously there will be times you cant preheat so dont worry about it-you just do the best youre wiiling to do-also have noticed if oil level is down some it is more prone to rattle-basically anything thst gets oil pressure up sooner can prevent it- for example a pre-luber would also work but they cost around $150 or more and require some work to install but wouldnt have hassle of plugging in

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
@bobcat20 - thank you so much for insulting me because I don't preheat my CR-V before starting like you are apparently obsessed with doing. And welcome to my ignore list.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Racoon- where was the insult? I offerred helpful solutions to issue- dont believe most people would see any insult anywhere in these posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I didn't see anything either, @bobcat20. No worries!

I'm following any talk of the VTC actuators since I'm shopping for a TSX for the kiddo, and don't want a potential problem rearing its head. Some of the 4-cylinder Accords also had this problem. So it's not like this is limited to only the CR-Vs.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I had a 2014 EX-L. Had a noisy VTC actuator replaced per the bulletins mentioned. I did have to leave my car there overnight so dealer could verify noise. No more problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2014 EX-L. Had a noisy VTC actuator replaced per the bulletins mentioned. I did have to leave my car there overnight so dealer could verify noise. No more problems.
Same issue on my 2014. Been putting it off. Thought it was the ac clutch but the more research i do thd more nervous im getting. How many miles are on your '14 crv? Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
And yes, I'm going to reach out to American Honda Motor Corp about the situation.
So I did open a case with American Honda Motor Corp.
I got a call from someone, but wasn't able to answer before it went to voicemail. They did leave a message with name, toll free phone number, and an extension. I called a couple of times and left messages, and finally got call back this afternoon.

I explained why I had contacted them, and told them that this was my 3rd CR-V and 5th Honda, and I thought Honda should offer to pick up part of the cost for the faulty part.

The response I received was, and yes I'm quoting exactly:

How is this Honda's problem?

I told her to inform her boss that this was my last Honda, and then I hung up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2012 CRV purchased new. Never had the oil change indicator light below 50 percent. Always changed the oil at 50-60 percent oil. So this is not an oil issue at all.

My CRV starting making this noise at every startup. Watching many Youtube videos. This issue is widespread to Accords as well.

In my research I will just ignore this noise. Once I get a Cam Position Sensor OBD code I will then change the VTC actuator, timing chain, guides, etc. Many people on here replaced the VTC and noise came back. So I will wait for when my timing chain stretches little bit. Cam Position Sensor will notify you of this.

Has anyone with a 2012 CRV taking theirs to the dealer recently who lives in California?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dropped my 2014 CR-V at the Honda dealer first thing this morning to have the VTC actuator replaced. After waiting for about an hour, the service writer came in and said they also need to replace the timing chain tensioner.
I've posted about this whole startup noise issue before (2018?) on our 2013. The first replacement VTC actuator resulted in no change in the situation. The second one seemed to help, but the warmer weather at the time might have simply masked the issue. We usually don't hear much commotion unless the overnight temperatures are below 20' F or so. We have the HondaCare plan, so they were able to get authorization.

This past January (2019) we were back again. This time they acknowledged 'a sound', but claimed it was due to a slapping timing chain due to a tensioner issue. I accepted that maybe 'mother Honda knows best' and agreed to pay the $300 or so for the repair. Maybe there was some improvement. I'm thinking that that the intensity of the sound was the same, but the temperature threshold of the event was perhaps moved downwards 5-10' F, so we heard it less often.

Now thinking about it, did the chain stretch to beyond the 'reach' of the original tensioner? Is this a patch for a different problem? The reported one link longer total length mean a half link per essential side? How many cam degrees will this translate to?

We are back into colder mornings, and the noises are evident. We have 6 months left on the HondaCare policy, but I do see that the PZEV plan for NY might offer us more time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Having same issue with my 2015 CR-V (as is my dad). Spoke to three dealers (his, plus my purchasing dealer and servicing dealer near my office). All three dealers said it was the VTC actuator; both his dealer and my purchasing dealer advocated replacement, especially since noise could worsen or damage could result past 100k miles. My servicing dealer said it's more of an annoyance and not to worry about it. I have HondaCare that will lapse in a few thousand miles. My question is whether this would be covered under HondaCare, and can I push my servicing dealer to request HondaCare authorization if the dealer doesn't think it's an issue?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I don't know specifically whether HondaCare would cover it, but it's definitely worth asking the question.

When my VTC actuator was replaced I was specifically told the repair wasn't covered because I was past the original 3 year/36,000 warranty, and also a few months past the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 CR V. All the issues as everyone else. The actuator noise started in late 2015. I had it replaced early 2016. The actuator noise returned in March of this year.

When I took my CR V in for an oil change I was informed that the oil was extremely low. However, there were no noticeable leaks.Because of that, the dealer is having me do an oil consumption test for 3,000 miles, checking the oil level every 1,000 miles. I am going into my last 1,000 miles with a very small amount of oil lost at this point. This leads me to believe there could be a very slow/small leak in the oil pan gasket (the mechanic is thinking the same).

The point to all of this is...I was informed by the Service Tech that if after the oil consumption test there is oil being lost, the leak will be repaired and Honda will paid to replace my VTC Actuator.

All of this remains to be seen. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty poor Honda's not covering it under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I'd phone Honda America and ask for consideration of warranty coverage.
Actually, it is covered under the 5 year 60, 000 mile powertrain warranty. I am having mine replaced as we speak and both the VTC actuator and time chair were covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having the same problem. It was supposedly fix at 60,000 miles. I took it back several times and was told nothing else could be found. Now at 102,000 miles, it’s at dealership again and now no warranty. They want $900 to fix... again! With no guarantee it won’t happen again. Love the car. Just got a lemon. Wish those of us with this problem could somehow rally for a solution

·
Registered
14 Posts
what a complete joke my 2014 has been. Here is my story.
Bought the 2014 used in late summer 2017 with 30,000 miles.
First occurrence of start up rattle noise noted in November 2017. Took to dealer. VTC TSB applied.
Dec 2017 - Rattle back on start up. Took it back in. Second VTC installed.
Jan 2018 - Rattle back once again. Took it back in again... Replaced water pump, and accessory belt.
Nov 2018 - noise back... tired of dealing with Honda, after reading these forums along with countless others, it is a up hill battle for a fix if one even exists. I decide to deal with it for now.
July 2020 - noise back, now on pretty much every start where the car sits longer than just 5 minutes. Call dealership explain to them my story and background. They agree to take a look at it and see what they think. After looking at it they recommend a 3rd VTC actuator replacement and timing chain tensioner. Cost to me $700. I ask for Honda Corp number and contact them.

After speaking to Honda corp rep. They ask for me to take it back into the dealer for a oil pressure test. This is done and of course the tests come back fine. The dealership reports after further looking they believe its the entire timing chain and recommend timing chain, and tensioner. Honda Corp agrees to pay for 75% of repair leaving me a bill of roughly $150. I take it, but at this point I'm done with this car and have decided to sell it by owner once its fixed.

Dealership calls me yesterday says car is done. I go in, pay my $150 for the repairs, go out to leave and low and behold the noise is still present. If my head could have exploded it would have. I tell them i can't take this back it is still doing the start up noise. The service manager goes, hmmm maybe it does need another VTC as well. WOW 4 total VTC units in 72,000 miles? Terrible.
At this point I'm done we don't want to waste time dealing with this fix. I talk to the sales manager and tell him the above story and say we are wasting my time and your service technician time trying to fix this problem. I ask for them to give me a price to buy the car back from me and considering my issues please don't insult me with an offer and put salt on the wound. Done with this hunk of junk. All these issues and not to mention last winter the driver side heat didn't work correctly so i had to flush the heater core, the front chrome trim on the grille was bubbling up after just 60k, driver side rear window was being funny going up and down after the winter. This car has severely hurt my opinion of Honda and I was a huge fan boy of them before this car. If my wife didn't want a CRV so bad we would be at the Toyota dealership today instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m having the same problem. It was supposedly fix at 60,000 miles. I took it back several times and was told nothing else could be found. Now at 102,000 miles, it’s at dealership again and now no warranty. They want $900 to fix... again! With no guarantee it won’t happen again. Love the car. Just got a lemon. Wish those of us with this problem could somehow rally for a solution
Its not a lemon I'm convinced there is a design flaw with this engine that will never be resolved by the VTC/ timing chain "fixes" Honda pushes. horrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I don’t know what to do. I can’t pay $900 for something they should have fixed under warranty. They claim it was fixed at 60,000 miles while under the extended warranty I had bought when I purchased the car new in 2012. And... I was told “it’s just something that happens more than once on this car”! I’m taking it to a local mechanic because it will cost less. I’ve never had it anywhere else except Honda dealerships for anything. I’m afraid to do that, but $900 and it’s only guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles. I already have 102,000 miles on it. Never had any other problems. Any suggestions on how those of us having this issue can make Honda Corp held responsible??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had our vtc replaced at 8k miles and it had been great until now, at 130k miles the sound is back. I can't believe that Honda has not figured out a correction for this issue.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts