Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here.

Full disclosure: I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about cars. I'm mostly looking for shared experiences and advice as to how to proceed with an issue I'm having with my CRV.

My car is a 2013 CRV, purchased in 2013. When I got my car, I made sure to get the extended warranty, which will expire in May of 2018.

Last winter, I noticed my car would rattle on especially cold mornings. It didn't happen every day, and nothing was ever noted when I took it in for service.

This winter, the rattle has worsened. I got an oil change, and nothing was noted on my report. But then my car died, so I got a jump and took it in to the dealership. I explained that my car has been rattling on a cold start, and the first thing the service person said to me was, "it's probably the VTC Actuator." So, I left the car with them and felt assured they would handle the problem. I tend to research things that I don't know anything about, so that I can be more educated on the issue. So, I started looking into this problematic part. The rattle my car made is that exact same as others with this issue.

Much to my surprise, they called me and said it was the serpentine belt and the battery. I let them replace the belt and battery, thinking they knew more than me since they were the experts. The next day, my car rattled again.

By this point, I was angry. I took my car back in and told them to look at the VTC Actuator, and that my car was making that exact rattling noise on cold starts. Maybe there's a biased since I'm a young woman, because the service adviser literally slow-blinked at me.

I waited all day, and finally got a call from Honda, and the gentleman said that it was, in fact, the VTC Actuator and that it will be replaced. I picked up my car the next day, and the first 3 cold starts were fine with no rattle.

I started my car this morning and it rattled again. The same rattle that I've been dealing with for a while. If the part was replaced, why would it be making the same noise again? The rattle is unmistakable.

Has anyone else had this happen with a replacement part?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,457 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for directing me to these posts. It's very appreciated.

My understanding of a cursory read is that Honda will replace the part with a part that may or may not be equally defective, and then sorta just shrug their shoulders? How does Honda expect to secure future clientele this way? I'm sure that others who are going through this are not keen on purchasing another Honda in the future.

This will be the third time in less than two weeks that I have to take my car in for the same issue. This is bonkers.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,457 Posts
Did your dealer install the part # that is in that Accord posting? (Look on the receipt or call the dealership and ask.)

The VTC rattle is an issue that Honda has been trying to resolve for years (since 2008 apparently). The good news is that it has not caused any verified issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they replaced it with 14310-R5A-305, which looks like the new part as of March 2016.

Could there be an error with the installation of the new part? This is quite a hassle.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,057 Posts
Yes, they replaced it with 14310-R5A-305, which looks like the new part as of March 2016.

Could there be an error with the installation of the new part? This is quite a hassle.
Sure, you can install the VTC in the locked position on the cam shaft and damage it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so I understand, once the new 2016 version of the actuator is replaced correctly, the rattle should stop?

Is there anything else that creates a rattle on a cold start that sounds similar?

I’m so shocked that this is happening. The advisors assured me that the shop Forman (foreman?) was handling my issue and had a lot of experience with this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,057 Posts
Well, several member on here have had their VTC actuators replaced only to have the rattle return, while it corrected the problem with others. Not sure if Honda ever really figured out how to put the issue to bed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loose or worn-out timing chain will also make a rattling sound at startup. Noise disappear as oil pressure builds up because the tensioner push the guide against the chain to remove the slack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loose or worn-out timing chain will also make a rattling sound at startup. Noise disappear as oil pressure builds up because the tensioner push the guide against the chain to remove the slack.
Is the timing chain issue something that a mechanic would have noticed while trying to diagnose the issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vtc actuator update?

Hey ya all..............proud owner of 2014 CRV EXL with about 45K on it; this one DOES have the VTC Actuator problem that grinds at startup in cold weather, has anyone heard of or been informed of any new developments from Honda on this ? I was told by my dealership here in MPLS/ST Paul Honda is researching and working on this...................anything ? Anything at all ?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Use the search function in the forum and you might also want to check the links below this post under the Similar Threads header.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the VTC grinding noise on my 2013 that started about 20,000 miles.Tried the dealer first but they had no way to fix it. I then called Honda USA and discussed the problem. They said that engineers were working on a fix but did not have a time when it would be resolved.
In 2016 I read on line that there was a new VTC out that would fix it. I took it to the dealer with a phone recording of the noise and they agreed to replace it at no charge . They did install the new VTC and all was good until yesterday when the temp was 25 in my garage and the grinding noise was back.
So, on my car the fix lasted 2 years or about 12,000 miles. I will report this to my dealer but I really don't know if they have a permanent fix or not.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My '07 and '10 do not have this problem!

I had the VTC grinding noise on my 2013 that started about 20,000 miles.Tried the dealer first but they had no way to fix it. I then called Honda USA and discussed the problem. They said that engineers were working on a fix but did not have a time when it would be resolved.
In 2016 I read on line that there was a new VTC out that would fix it. I took it to the dealer with a phone recording of the noise and they agreed to replace it at no charge . They did install the new VTC and all was good until yesterday when the temp was 25 in my garage and the grinding noise was back.
So, on my car the fix lasted 2 years or about 12,000 miles. I will report this to my dealer but I really don't know if they have a permanent fix or not.
My '07 with 106,000K miles and the '10 with 37,000 miles to do not have this problem. I live North of Baltimore, MD so it gets down to 10 degrees F sometimes.

I wonder if a solution might be, both have had nothing but full synthetic oil and Honda A01 filters. 5W20 for the '07 and 0W20 for the '10 Mobile1 from Walmart for about $25 for 5-quart jug. And Honda A01 filters bought online for around $50 for 10 including crush washers. Dealer charges 13 labor to change it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Guys!

I noticed my car (2013 CRV) would rattle on especially cold mornings of winter season.
i have already conduct with dealer but didn't get any proper solution.

if anyone of you guys expert on it please advice me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a VTC issue, and I have tried to get Honda USA to cover the replacement of this part - NO GO. Even trying to inform them that I know this is an engineering design issue, they would not budge due to the amount of miles on my CRV (see below).

As with others on here, this issue happens on cold starts. And sometimes when the vehicle sits too long after being turned off.

My advice, call Honda USA - tell them that you want a case record started IMMEDIATELY on this issue. I believe that the vehicle comes with a 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty - if you are under these numbers, push them to cover this expense. If you are over these numbers, push anyway and tell them that its an engineering design issue that they have known about for YEARS - they kind of had a solution since 2016, but as some have posted here - the problem comes back even after replacing the VTC gear with the newly designed gear from 2016.

B.
2012 CRV, 120K miles - owned from new. ALWAYS performed the recommended maintenance (myself). I take care of my cars and drive them its not worth repairing.
2011 Camry, 180K miles - all is good for now (no major engine work has been needed so far)
2013 Tacoma, 105K miles - all is good for now (no major engine work has been needed so far)
2008 CanAm Spyder, 18K miles - the toy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm new here.

Full disclosure: I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about cars. I'm mostly looking for shared experiences and advice as to how to proceed with an issue I'm having with my CRV.

My car is a 2013 CRV, purchased in 2013. When I got my car, I made sure to get the extended warranty, which will expire in May of 2018.

Last winter, I noticed my car would rattle on especially cold mornings. It didn't happen every day, and nothing was ever noted when I took it in for service.

This winter, the rattle has worsened. I got an oil change, and nothing was noted on my report. But then my car died, so I got a jump and took it in to the dealership. I explained that my car has been rattling on a cold start, and the first thing the service person said to me was, "it's probably the VTC Actuator." So, I left the car with them and felt assured they would handle the problem. I tend to research things that I don't know anything about, so that I can be more educated on the issue. So, I started looking into this problematic part. The rattle my car made is that exact same as others with this issue.

Much to my surprise, they called me and said it was the serpentine belt and the battery. I let them replace the belt and battery, thinking they knew more than me since they were the experts. The next day, my car rattled again.

By this point, I was angry. I took my car back in and told them to look at the VTC Actuator, and that my car was making that exact rattling noise on cold starts. Maybe there's a biased since I'm a young woman, because the service adviser literally slow-blinked at me.

I waited all day, and finally got a call from Honda, and the gentleman said that it was, in fact, the VTC Actuator and that it will be replaced. I picked up my car the next day, and the first 3 cold starts were fine with no rattle.

I started my car this morning and it rattled again. The same rattle that I've been dealing with for a while. If the part was replaced, why would it be making the same noise again? The rattle is unmistakable.

Our 2012 CRV started making this noise 2 years after purchase in 2014, 90,000km. Every mechanic it was brought to could not diagnose and/or said don't worry about it. Fast forward to right now, January 2019, the issue began affecting the start of the car and it would sometimes stall after starting (even when 11 Celsius outside). Brought it to honda and they have told me it will cost $3500 to fix because the issue was not fixed earlier and has stretched my timing chain. No check engine light on at any point. I will try to get Honda to cover at least part of the repair but I'm not holding my breath. My recommendation would be to replace your VTC immediately (I was quoted ~$900 before they diagnosed the stretched timing chain) and sell the car. I've read probably a hundred threads regarding this issue and I have seen far too many that say the issue just begins again after a few thousand km, to have faith in this car. Very unfortunate, I loved my CRV in every other way. Best of luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda CRV with 100k miles. I purchased it new and has been flawless. Never an issue, but I change the oil at 4k miles that's when the maintenance minder displays 60-50 percent oil life left. Needless to say this thing have been properly taken care of.

Years ago I only I hard the VTC buzzing noise only when on vacation during snow trips. I live in a climate that never goes below 45F degrees. And vehicle is in the garage so its warmer in the garage.

Until 2-3 weeks ago I get the VTC buzzing noise at every start up. Regardless of temperature now. I emailed American Honda and complained, they called me yesterday and said I am 7 months out of the 7yr/70,000 mile warranty. Bummer. I did not want to fight it since I can replace the VTC actuator myself.

In the next few weeks I will order the VTC actuator, valve cover gasket, honda bond, etc. Parts will be less than $200 and do it myself. Lets see if this fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'm new here.

I’ve had my car in for the same issue four times. The first time they replaced the VTC actuator, and it took care of the problem. But only for about a year. Then it started again, took it in, said it was the same exact noise on cold starts. Each time they had to keep it overnight and try to start it the next morning to hear the noise. Even though I told them it was the exact same noise. This time they said it was something else, a drive belt and tensioner. That did not fix it. Took it back and they claimed they couldn’t find what was going on with it. Now it makes the noise about 30% of the time. And I’ve decided to live with it until it starts making the noise on a more regular basis. Because I can’t take the car in and leave it overnight every time on the 30% chance that it will make the noise the next morning. Not sure why they have to hear the noise each time. They’ve heard it before. And, incidentally, each time I’ve taken it in they found other things wrong with the car supposedly.My Honda only has 67,000 miles on it. And it’s had the front axles replaced, the rear struts replaced, this weird grinding noise problem on several occasions, and some other problem I can’t remember. That’s too much for a car with that lower mileage. I may just go for Toyota.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts