Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

VTC Actuator Talk

16192 Views 96 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  jerryl1983
This thread is for any discussions pertaining to the VTC actuator. Any new threads created will be locked and forum members will be pointed to this thread. Thanks for your cooperation!
Reactions: TheDarkKnight
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
2014 CRV LX 4WD AT
95 Posts
Where are all the previous replies? How can anyone beneft if all the discussion has been deleted? The reason for the fluttering noise that occurs after startup is due to a weak spring in the locking plunger inside the variable valve timing camshaft sprocket. The problem is solved by replacing the weak spring with one that is new and slightly stronger.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
This is a new thread to amalgamate responses for this topic. Nothing has been deleted.

Reactions: Coastie05

· Super Moderator
2022 CRV EX FWD 2022 Chevy Colorado
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where are all the previous replies? How can anyone beneft if all the discussion has been deleted? The reason for the fluttering noise that occurs after startup is due to a weak spring in the locking plunger inside the variable valve timing camshaft sprocket. The problem is solved by replacing the weak spring with one that is new and slightly stronger.
As TDK said, nothing has been deleted. The point of this thread is to have a central discussion of this issue. It’s quite pointless to have a new VTC actuator thread started every week. Thank you for providing useful information in your post. It will be helpful to all members looking to resolve this issue.

· Registered
2016 EXL CVT
18 Posts
What is the source of the stiffer spring? Is this a Honda part? Or something you just need to find through say McMaster Carr or similar. Seems easy enough to replace the spring.

· Registered
2012 CRV EXL AWD
122 Posts
What is the source of the stiffer spring? Is this a Honda part? Or something you just need to find through say McMaster Carr or similar. Seems easy enough to replace the spring.
There is no official part number for the spring. It’s an internal component of the VTC. I have replaced the spring in my VTC actuator with a newer stiffer one. It wasn’t as wide as the original spring so I coiled it inside the old spring and installed it back. So far the rattle hasn’t returned (done in April 2022). If I open up the VTC again I will document the process.

There was no damage to the actual VTC as far as I could see. The spring had some minimal wear on the end from when it was rattling but otherwise looked good. The timing chain also looked fine.

I’m in Canada so the winter will reveal if the fix actually worked.

· Registered
2014 CRV LX 4WD AT
95 Posts
I bought a spring selection from Handyman. Here is a link -

I have not yet replaced the spring but when I do I will compare the original to my selection and choose the one that fits without binding and provides slightly more pressure. Choose carefully because it is a fair amount of work to do it more than once. When I get around to it I will post some actual measurements of the original and replacement springs. This post has provided some incentive to quit procrastinating. We have a short road trip scheduled this week so maybe around mid July...........

I believe Banks99 was the one that steered me in the right direction. Thank you

· Registered
2012 CRV EXL AWD
122 Posts
Funny enough I found an Kijiji Ad in my neighborhood for a mechanic looking for people with the VTC rattle so they can try a fix for free in exchange for their feedback. I connected with the individual and he is indeed changing the spring. Wonder if he is a member of this forum!

· Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
208 Posts
Funny enough I found an Kijiji Ad in my neighborhood for a mechanic looking for people with the VTC rattle so they can try a fix for free in exchange for their feedback. I connected with the individual and he is indeed changing the spring. Wonder if he is a member of this forum!
Wow, that's interesting. A couple of things straight off; 1) if he's doing it for free, one would have to guess it's not too much trouble doing it? 2) if this is something that would actually work, why hasn't Honda thought of it and implemented it?

I hope this person or anyone fixing theirs with a diff spring is successful, that would be awesome for sure.

· Registered
63 Posts
Hmmmm, I have a 2014 that has had the 1st actuator replaced when it had under 50K on it, replaced under warranty, but now it is back. I have 117500 on it. So, what is the general consensuses on replacement? Try the spring fix, or a new actuator? I did watch one video on doing this, but are there any specific ones that you would recommend? Does anyone have a manual that can show the torque specs? I do have the shop manuals for the 2005/2006 CRV, I am not sure how much has changed on the engine between the models, I am curious to know if it is similar enough? Do you need to replace the valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals at this time? any other maintenance that needs to be checked when the cover is off? Thanks for any info/input

· Registered
7 Posts
I've replaced my VTC about 12 months ago with the updated Honda part. The rattle started coming back a few months ago. Has anyone tried an aftermarket VTC? I see there are a lot of options and I'm tempted to try one since the OEM part isn't a 100% fix.

· Registered
2012 CRV EXL AWD
122 Posts
I've replaced my VTC about 12 months ago with the updated Honda part. The rattle started coming back a few months ago. Has anyone tried an aftermarket VTC? I see there are a lot of options and I'm tempted to try one since the OEM part isn't a 100% fix.
I believe someone tried one for rock auto and it failed pretty quickly.

· Registered
9 Posts
There is no official part number for the spring. It’s an internal component of the VTC. I have replaced the spring in my VTC actuator with a newer stiffer one. It wasn’t as wide as the original spring so I coiled it inside the old spring and installed it back. So far the rattle hasn’t returned (done in April 2022). If I open up the VTC again I will document the process.

There was no damage to the actual VTC as far as I could see. The spring had some minimal wear on the end from when it was rattling but otherwise looked good. The timing chain also looked fine.

Is it necessary to have the engine at top dead center to replace just the spring? Thanks.

· Registered
9 Posts

Does the engine have to be at top dead center if you are replacing the spring only? Thanks!

· Registered
9 Posts
Nope, just make note of where the spring is and ensure that you take your time and dont drop anything into the engine. Note that its a 5 point torx on the face of the VTC, not 6 like common torx bits.
Thanks banks! I found out the hard way about the torx. Tore it down but couldn't finish the repair because I didn't have the bit. Frustrating! But I've got the bits now. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts