Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

VTC Actuator Talk

16188 Views 96 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  jerryl1983
This thread is for any discussions pertaining to the VTC actuator. Any new threads created will be locked and forum members will be pointed to this thread. Thanks for your cooperation!
Reactions: TheDarkKnight
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Jabba2,
We all have something that we accel at. I just happen to be a wrench swinger. I'm sure you learned a way to make a living. Started wrenching on my bicycle and ended repairing RVs. I'm pushing 80 so closely that I can see the candles & fire extinguisher headed my way. GRIN

Richard
Hey wait a minute. Richard! You are my neighbor! I live in Kansas City lol.

· Registered
2014 CRV LX 4WD AT
95 Posts
Thank you for your post rls7201. I was wondering if it is necessary to remove the sprocket in order to change the spring. Your pictures show that it is not necessary. Good. I will be doing the replacemt spring soon and I will post a comment.

· Registered
2013 CR-V EX-L Gladstone, MO
47 Posts
Nice pictures etc. Now I'd really like to know where to buy or get the spring at. And the dimensions of it? I wish there where photos of the springs and such.
See post #8, Deano-444 listed an Amazon site for the springs You can thank him for the home work. .
0.028 GA x 7/32 inch x 1-3/8 inch
Amazon

Richard

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the pics Richard! One more question: what size bolts did you replace the old ones with? I want to buy them before I start the work.
6mm bolt x 1.25 pitch x 30mm long.
You can thank my digital vernier for that info. I took one of the OEM bolts to the hardware store and matched it.
Didn't really pay much attention to dimensions. Now we both know. GRIN.

I apologize for the Pitch mistake I made. All I had was a digital vernier.

Richard

· Registered
2014 CRV LX 4WD AT
95 Posts
I changed the spring in my VTC sprocket a couple days ago. I used a stronger spring from Handyman kit SP-9722.
I cut off about two coils to make it the right length. It is stronger than the original but oil pressure can still release the pin. So far all is good. I do not expect to hear the noise again. Thanx to all who have contributed to this topic.

A couple additional notes............
No need to remove the entire sprocket or cam or timing chain. Just remove the five bolts on the VTC cover. The bolts require a five point torx bit. I purchased a selection for the job but the tool began to round off so I ended up using a small vise grip to break them loose. I replaced them with hex head bolts of the same length. Valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals can be re-used if you are careful and use a light coat of oil or grease on them. The only part I replaced was the VTC lock spring.

· Registered
9 Posts
6mm bolt x 1.25 pitch x 30mm long.
You can thank my digital vernier for that info. I took one of the OEM bolts to the hardware store and matched it.
Didn't really pay much attention to dimensions. Now we both know. GRIN.
I cannot find a 6mm bolt with a 1.25 pitch. Everything in 6mm is 1.0. I am not going to start this repair without having the bolts on-hand in case a bolt head strips, etc. Where did you find the bolts? Are you positive on the pitch? Thanks.

· Registered
2014 CRV LX 4WD AT
95 Posts
I cannot find a 6mm bolt with a 1.25 pitch. Everything in 6mm is 1.0. I am not going to start this repair without having the bolts on-hand in case a bolt head strips, etc. Where did you find the bolts? Are you positive on the pitch? Thanks.
I have a tap and die set. I will confirm the bolt size and post it here later today

· Registered
2012 CRV EXL AWD
122 Posts
Hi all, wanted to provide an update. I am now at 6 mo. with the new spring installed. Rattle only returned when we were due for an oil change. After the oil change I heard it maybe once or twice and then it subsided. Temps are dropping here up north so I will update again if anything changes with this.

· Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the springs as noted in an earlier post. Purchased a set of T5 Torx.
Here is the pics of the new spring install. I could see no reason to remove the VTC from the camshaft. I did stuff a rag in the opening, in case I got the fumble fingers. Dropped the T30 Torx before getting the last bolt loose. Had to use vice grips. Darn T30 is hiding someplace in all that plastic that covers the bottom of the engine. Went to the hardware store and purchased 5 new bolts. I wound the new spring inside the old spring and cut the new spring 1/8" longer than the old spring. Noise is gone for now.

Richard

View attachment 157532
Great info. Thanks for posting. I am thinking about doing this spring replacement on my 2012 this weekend. Looks pretty straightforward.

It probably doesn't matter for this application, but what grade are the new hex head bolt you put in? (I can't see the head markings in your photo). I was ordering the spring from amazon already, so figured I may as well get bolts (I like the hex heads vs torx).

M6 x 30mm Hex Head Screw Bolt, Fully Threaded, Alloy Steel Grade 12.9, Black Oxide Finish, Quantity 25: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: M6 x 30mm Flanged Hex Head Bolts Flange Hexagon Screws, 304 Stainless Steel 18-8, Plain Finish, 25 PCS : Industrial & Scientific

· Registered
47 Posts
Great info. Thanks for posting. I am thinking about doing this spring replacement on my 2012 this weekend. Looks pretty straightforward.

It probably doesn't matter for this application, but what grade are the new hex head bolt you put in? (I can't see the head markings in your photo). I was ordering the spring from amazon already, so figured I may as well get bolts (I like the hex heads vs torx).

M6 x 30mm Hex Head Screw Bolt, Fully Threaded, Alloy Steel Grade 12.9, Black Oxide Finish, Quantity 25: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: M6 x 30mm Flanged Hex Head Bolts Flange Hexagon Screws, 304 Stainless Steel 18-8, Plain Finish, 25 PCS : Industrial & Scientific
I'm not sure what grade bolts I used. I went to the hardware store and the first thing I found that fit was stainless steel. So I grabbed them and run to the cash register.

Richard

41 - 60 of 97 Posts