Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 CR V and it started making a rattling noise with cold starts, I took it in, and was told nothing can be done. NICE, I get to have a brand new car that starts up like a rattle trap.... I was also told it was an issue with the 2014 only, lie, I just seen on here that lots of years are having this issue. I guess I shouldn't be surprise when you look how long it took someone to do something about the air bag issue, and that is a REALLY big issue unlike mine in comparison. But still you don't want to have a brand new car that sounds like a rattling piece of crap so I am NOT happy. Thank GOD I leased and didn't purchase or I would be really unhappy right about now. 2 more years when lease is over I am done with Honda.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Call Honda directly and open an incident. I watched a Honda Tech replace the VTC actuator on an Accord - he did not remove the cam shaft but locked it and locked the VTC and installed it. It did not take long. It should be covered under the 36 month warranty.

Force the dealer to issue you a warranty page each time you complain - then use the 5 tries as proof of lemon and invoke the lemon law. There should be a lemon law brochure in the glove box with the CR-V manuals. Call the numbers in it to get started.

A good Honda Tech would understand that issue and would fix the problem.

Raise hell with the General Manager of the Honda dealership until they fix the noise. Record it and play it to the GM - he should do something to get it fixed to get rid of you.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Problem is not always the dealerships. In this case it's Honda not finding a permanent solution. Some have had the actuator replaced just to have the noise come back because it's not a different updated/redesigned actuator. Definitely worth getting things on record and being the squeaky wheel, but the fact that this has been going on with Accords since at least 2008 doesn't sound like Honda is in any kind of rush to find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If the mechanic does not install the VTC actuator in the "Locked" position it will break again. There are millions of Honda 2.4L engines with with cam adjuster. A very small number have had the failure - all probably caused by the the VTC not installed in the "Locked" position.

The bigger 2.4L engine issue is piston ring failure causing excessive oil consumption. It is such a problem that Honda has developed a special tool to put in the piston with new rings into the engine - probably saves 3 hours on a rebuild.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi--just signed up on here. I have a 2014 Honda CRV which has the VTC noise problem. I brought the car to the dealer and it won't make the noise cause it's too warm in Jersey right now--I have a loaner V. Service manager at dealer says she called Honda and they are aware of the them problem and a fix will be out soon. I informed them for $25,000--I don't want a fix--I want a new vehicle that makes NO sound and doesn't need a fix. I gave them 2 options--either they give me a car that doesn't make a noise on cold days when I start it up--or I hire an attorney--My V has 4,500 miles on it and I purchased it in July. Waiting for an answer from dealer. They also told me it doesn't affect the way the car runs--which to me doesn't matter. This is NOT a new problem. They are selling defective cars and I believe anybody who sues the Honda Corporation would win. All I want is a V that doesn't make the noise. I bought a new car to NOT have stress--this is causing stress!

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
My 2014 made this noise at first morning start on a cold day this week. Now it's warm again and no noise. I'm waiting for some colder weather to return here in Virginia, then I'll take it in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
clifflt said:
.. waiting for some colder weather to return here in Virginia, then I'll take it in.
be aware that replacement parts will repeat the issue, not a guarantee for permanent solution

·
Registered
488 Posts
Jerseygirl said:
.. from dealer. They also told me it doesn't affect the way the car runs..
not the entire truth as any metal on metal action will have consequences. it has been previously reported that this has repercussions internally, not the very least being timing chain, with potential to cascade into something more detrimental.

the issue is common in accords, civics, crvs and more

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I'm mainly bring my car in so it's documented. Need a history to get anything done. Especially if Honda does come out with a fix. (Apparently, that's a big IF)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here as well and it's also a 2014 with only 6k miles! I do all my own maintenance, but had Honda do the oil change at 5k miles due to the factory warranty. And I'm glad I did because this problem just happened this month when the temps dropped, so there's documentation that Honda did the oil change. Why is that important? Because the first thing the service advisor asked was when I last had the oil changed, implying the actuator goes bad if Honda Owners follow the ridiculous oil life display and drive 10k miles before changing oil. Obviously, I immediately responded that "your dealership did the oil change at 5k miles".

So now I get to go through dropping it off overnight to see if it will do it for them, which is hit and miss. But it will be documented at least. Plus, temps will drop further later this month, so I'll take it back to the dealer if needed when it drops back down in the 20's.

I also got the impression from the Service advisor that they don't really have a good handle on why this only seems to happen on a few CR-Vs and not all of them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ATLCRV said:
I also got the impression from the Service advisor that they don't really have a good handle on why this only seems to happen on a few CR-Vs and not all of them.
Not only CRVs but Accord, Civic, Fit, all Honda 4 cyl engines

The issue is not limited to just Honda, many timing chain equipped cars have this same issue to some degree

It appears an Oil Accumulator solves it by releasing oil and setting Oil Pressure above 20 PSI before engine starts

Here is our established thread on this issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also got a 2014 CRV that seems to have this ATC actuator problem. I live in northern CA (bay area) and this problem only occurs when I start the car early in the morning on a cold morning. It's the usual grinding noise that lasts for a second or so when starting the car. I took my car to the local dealer on the weekend and was told Honda was expecting to have a fix for this in February or March. I plan to return to the dealer in mid March in hopes of getting this fixed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I took my car to the local dealer on the weekend and was told Honda was expecting to have a fix for this in February or March. I plan to return to the dealer in mid March in hopes of getting this fixed.
Hope it's true but don't bank on it. Before I got rid of mine I was told over a year ago a fix was coming soon :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I hope it's true, but I'm not a believer. I was at the Honda Virginia Beach dealer yesterday. I asked about it and all they knew was Honda does not yet have a fix. No more than I already new. Today was my first 25 degree morning weather this winter and, just like last year, I had the starting rattle. It's warming up again starting tomorrow, no more rattle for awhile.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use an oil pan heater for an hour or two before first start of day -totally eliminates vtc rattle -if I dont preheat rattle is there-pretty simple inexpensive work around which is also good for general extended engine life as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just in case anyone sees this thread, please go read this similar thread for the solution:
Forum -> Honda CR-V Accessories, Care and Mods -> Miscellaneous / General CR-V Discussions -> The dreaded vtc actuator

1 - 16 of 16 Posts