Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently I posted a thread explaining in detail my own trip down VTC Actuator Lane. It can be viewed here: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...38106-vtc-actuator-problem-new-territory.html

Since that time, I've had my CR-V back to the dealership twice. This last voyage kept my CR-V at the dealership for about a week and a half. As a side note, the loaner car they gave me was a 2016 Honda Civic EX. The last time I owned a brand new Honda Civic was in 2001, and back then it was basically a seat, a steering wheel, and four tires tethered to an engine. These Civic's nowadays are like being on the bridge of the starship Enterprise. Push button start, all digital instrumentation, big touch screen, heated seats, the works. I also got 42.2 MPG on a highway trip up north last weekend with it, which was impressive.

Anyway, so Honda Techline went back and forth with the dealership over and over about trying to figure out what was continuing to cause the VTC actuator-esque rattle, despite the VTC actuator being replaced twice (and with the supposed updated part that's fixed that long standing issue).

In a curious twist, Techline finally told the dealership they have replaced a "handful" of timing chain tensioners, which are located near the VTC actuator and apparently can produce the same noise. My service advisor told me by "handful", Techline probably means hundreds, all for a component that should never fail, if only rarely, let alone hundreds. My service advisor also said that they found out they keep those in inventory, based on earlier suggestions by Honda, for this issue (which further suggests its much more than just a "handful").

So they replaced the tensioner, free of charge.

Let's see what happens!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Leviathan - THANK YOU!

So recently I posted a thread explaining in detail my own trip down VTC Actuator Lane. It can be viewed here: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...38106-vtc-actuator-problem-new-territory.html

Since that time, I've had my CR-V back to the dealership twice. This last voyage kept my CR-V at the dealership for about a week and a half. As a side note, the loaner car they gave me was a 2016 Honda Civic EX. The last time I owned a brand new Honda was in 2001, and back then it was basically a seat, a steering wheel, and four tires tethered to an engine. These Civic's nowadays are like being on the bridge of the starship Enterprise. Push button start, all digital instrumentation, big touch screen, heated seats, the works. I also got 42.2 MPG on a highway trip up north last weekend with it, which was impressive.

Anyway, so Honda Techline went back and forth with the dealership over and over about trying to figure out what was continuing to cause the VTC actuator-esque rattle, despite it being replaced twice (and with the supposed updated part that's fixed that long standing issue).

In a curious twist, Techline finally told the dealership they have replaced a "handful" of timing chain tensioners, which are located near the VTC actuator and apparently can produce the same noise. My service advisor told me by "handful", Techline probably means hundreds, for a component that should never fail, if only rarely, let alone hundreds. My advisor also said that they found out they keep those in inventory, based on earlier suggestions by Honda, for this issue.

So they replaced the tensioner, free of charge.

Let's see what happens!
And Thanks again for taking the time to submit a very helpful update - and for thinking of doing it like this, in a new post.

Good job!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Leviathan, i had the very same problem here - 3 time to service, the VTC twice changed, still rattle noise at cold startup after 10 days from last service stay. They even changed the oil assuming I added a different oil type than the service manual says.

I can see that your post is from 2 years ago. Can you provide an update of how it turns after the tensioners changed? does the rattle noise return on cold startup?.

thank you
Regards
Nic

You're more than welcome. I hope it helps others who may be frustrated with this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2014 CR-V is now making the grinding noise on (most) startups. It's HOT here in NorCal, so "cold start" is a misnomer, but it's been doing it for about a month now. It stopped doing it about 4 days ago. I had made an appointment with my mechanic (not a Honda dealer) and the car is there now. I assume he is "cold" starting it every couple of hours to see if he can get it to recreate the noise. Not sure what I'll do if he can't figure it out, if I'll just go ahead & have the VTC actuator replace and hope for the best, or continue to drive it as is and hope for the best. I had called Honda about it and the local dealership is not very helpful, saying they'd check it out and if it needs to be replaced, they'll give me $150 off the repair, which will probably be equal to what my mech would charge. I'm kind of wondering if I should go back to where I bought it (used), a Toyota dealer and see if they'll help me out. I can't just take it into the mechanic every time it starts to make the noise.

Sigh. And I thought Hondas were reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my case (2015) the tensioner change didn't fix the startup rattle but I've yet to have the VTC actuator changed yet. Once that is done I can report back to see if it is at least gone for the time being.

I'm losing hope that there is any real solution for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so, an update of my experience (so far; I don't know what's the scenario I'm going to find tomorrow):

Last time to service on June-2019: they changed the oil because they said it was a little thicker than normal -although I've changed it 3 month before with Honda 0W20, as the user manual specifies-, free of charge. They said that they have inspected and checked VTC, tensors and everything associated and they found nothing unusual. "It should work fine", they said, there was nothing unusual...

3 days later: rattle early in the morning, when it was 9°C outside....

Wrote to Honda to complain again, and said I was going to start legal actions. 2 hs later the manager from the mechanical service called and almost begged me to return the CRV to them to a new, more deep revision. I said I had to think about it. After that, I talked to some friends that are well versed on mechanics and cars, they advised me to not let them touch the SUV again, so I was decided to start a legal request to get my money back when suddenly...

The rattle stopped.

I tried starting the CRV several morning with different weather conditions: humid and cold mornings, chilling mornings (2°C according to the CRV thermometer), even raining and cold.... Nothing. the rattle is gone.

It's almost 3 months now and the ratlle has dissapeared

I'm not optimistic. I suspect the rattle will come sooner or later, but so far we are at the end of the winter and we are leaving the coldest days behind, so if it was a temperature trigger issue I think it's gone (at least until next winter).

One final tip: after the oil changed by the Honda service, I checked the oil level, and it was way above the max level, so I purge just the excess volume (I guess 150-200 ml) and let the oil level at the maximum allowed. I don't know why they overfilled the oil deposit (maybe it was not on purpose, or maybe they thought it would help to get the noise gone).

I'll let you know any update.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts