Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 CRV EX-L that has a new noise that I originally thought was the traditional VTC rattle. I would be starting to move from a stop sign at a normal acceleration and I would get a second or so of rattle-noise every time. It was more pronounced on quicker accelerations. After experimenting, I found out that the noise doesn't happen when the A/C is off. Strange. When I got home, I put the emergency brake on, put the car in gear, raised the hood and listened. Damned if it wasn't coming from under the valve cover. I've read posts talking about the belt tensioner and A/C compressor but it doesn't seem to be coming from that area. Unfortunately, this is my daughter's car and she just left to drive back to college and I won't be seeing it again until December. As anyone here experienced this? If it is the VTC, why is it contingent on the A/C being on?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this exact same thing in my 2014 CR-V with about 78k mi. I just dropped it off at the dealership today for a diagnosis. I'll try to remember to reply with findings but feel free to message me if I forget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm told it's either the timing chain tensioner, or guides. Not great news. Including replacement of the VTC tensioner, I was quoted $1,300 for repair.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm told it's either the timing chain tensioner, or guides. Not great news. Including replacement of the VTC tensioner, I was quoted $1,300 for repair.
Ugh - that's a lot. How long do they need to do the repair? One question, you said that your problem sounded exactly like mine but I saw one of your posts in another thread that didn't mention the A/C. Was your problem associated with using the A/C?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seemed like it would be a day in the shop.

Originally I thought I “just” had the VTC actuator rattle. Later on I realized that it was more than that; yours was the only thread I could turn up that described the issue post-start of the vehicle. So yeah, confirming I have both the VTC actuator rattle, as well as the noise under engine rev / acceleration from idle (and sometimes at idle).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
danuary
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing