Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 crv using 5w-30 synthetic and using oem block heater& 200 watt oil pan heater, the heaters power cords are joined at 2 to 1 adapter tie wrapped to license plate frame so only one plug to attach -very easy -run them for 1-2 hours before first start of day on below 40 degree days and no vtc rattle. Without using them on cold days I sometimes get the rattle. This pre-heat is good for engine longevity in general anyway so I dont mind doing it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually mine seemed better once I switched from 0w-20 synthetic to the 5w-30 synthetic (prior to using heaters) -will be going to 0w-30 at next change.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Strange that switching to a 5w was better at cold start noise than a 0w.
You put the heaters in to make the oil less viscous.
But, whatever works.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buffalo4- Not sure why 5w-30 seems better although I have read a few reports on accord forum of this helping -maybe the 30wt stays on vtc gear area longer during drain down -maybe slower overall drain down even via filter/anti-drain back valve? I am also using a Denso filter which is known to be one of the highest in flow rating but only medium in filtering efficiency ( I wanted the flow more than max filtering) so that could also be a factor -who knows?

·
Registered
8 Posts
downloader, would you ignore the maintenance minder and just change oil at a certain mileage ? Also, have you seen any actuators that failed or caused damage to an engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts