Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I live in the Seattle area. I own a 2008 Honda CRV. The dealer during regular oil change recommended that I do the following:
1. Reseal oil pressure switch - $220
2. VTEC Gasket replace - $200
3. Front Crankshaft Seal replace - $350

I want to know for each of the above items:
1. Which are the ones that are easy to do in terms of DIY? My skill level as far as the car maintenance is, poor. To give an estimate, I've have changed bulbs myself and motivated to work on it, but that is far as I have worked on the car. I don't have much tools too.
2. Are the above quoted prices fair pricing? If not, what is fair pricing, and what are my options to save some money without compromising on quality of the work..

Thank you!

·
Administrator
3,293 Posts
Whenever a service guy makes claims like that ask two questions:
1 Why?
2: show me proof of what you are talking about.
They usually have no clue.

·
Banned
806 Posts
As Rocky said, have them show you. For all you know, and I'm sure it has happened with someone before they pick something that "sounds" technical that is having no issues, but claim it is. Then do nothing to your car but park it in the corner for a bit then call you tell you it is done. When in fact they did nothing.

My wife several years ago had a company car and a contract with the Firestone to have the work performed. As soon as I got in the car and saw the wiper blades weren't changed and were supposed to be. It prompted me to do more digging. Nothing was done. She called her corporate office to tell them not to pay.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Need more info. How many miles? What kind of driving? Have you owned the car since new? Done all the required maintenance?
Did they detect an oil leak? Etc.

As far as being able to do them with your level of expertise I'd leave it to the pros if the work is really needed. You might want to find a local shop that works on Hondas for a second opinion. Sounds like all the work is gaskets, big money maker for the dealer. $2 in parts, rest labor.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If the objective is to stop leaks and they aren't outrageously bad, here's an alternative: try an oil change interval using Valvoline MaxLife for high-mileage engines. It contains seal conditioners that restore seal pliability and can stop or greatly reduce seal leaks. If that doesn't work, add Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. Liqui-Moly is a German oil maker with a great reputation and this product does more of the same. Once the leak is under control, the Liqui Moly dosage can be halved or quatered.

It all depends on how much you want to invest in a gen year old car.

I had great success with this combination for a front cover seal leak on a different make.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,036 Posts
I was going to say, as a first step, try replacing (you or a mechanic) the PCV valve.

A clogged/restricted valve creates excess pressure in the crankcase, and that pressure has to go somewhere. That's the common denominator with all three of the suggested repairs.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Here's a simple question.... do you have a puddle of oil under the car where you park it? If you are dripping a few drops of oil per week don't worry about it, just go to Home depot and get a cheap floor mat/rug and throw it under the car to keep the garage floor clean. And check the oil level every month or so which you should do anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts