Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2005 Honda CR-V. The guy who owned it before me tightened the 3 bolts way too tight, so when I was removing them one of the bolts broke. I was able to get the broken bolt out, but when I went to screw new bolts on, another bolt broke in the same position. This time, even though it is sticking out I am unable to remove it. I've searched online, but I can't really find a viable solution, does anyone have any ideas? Pictures:

20181229_121336.jpg 20181229_121657.jpg

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Another alternative would be repair the threads enough to screw on a nut. Then weld the nut to the bolt.
After that, tons of care on the bolt and even some thread loosening fluids. Take it easy, once it breaks loose don't be afraid to loosen it as far as it will go then tighten it a fraction before loosening it again.
Once out, run down the thread to clean up any damaged threads.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yup, those work well too. Use that exact tool on a lot of the GM 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 cylinder head exhaust manifold studs.
Only GMs???? LOL. I've worn out 3 or 4 of them over the years between the 3 American Brands of vehicles. Think they would be making better studs by now lol.

Rocky, welding in that location is really high risk because of the oil galleys that are open right there. Slag splattering into the wrong place could be really bad so I avoided recommending that option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts