Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just picked up a 2017 CRV EX a week ago and after the last 10 years of driving around in an 07 Accord (that I was able to get 280,000 miles out of, I'm proud to say). I'm trying to get used to all these new fangled gadgets that the CRV comes with. I have most of them figured out but the "Walk Away Auto Lock" feature has me baffled. I get that when I get out and walk directly away from the car gives a single beep indicating the doors are locked. But I've noticed if I get out and walk to the back of the car, by the tailgate, it gives two beeps. I've checked and the doors still lock, I just can't figure out what the two beeps indicate as apposed to the single beep. I've combed through the manual extensively and can't seem to find any mention of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi all, I just picked up a 2017 CRV EX a week ago and after the last 10 years of driving around in an 07 Accord (that I was able to get 280,000 miles out of, I'm proud to say). I'm trying to get used to all these new fangled gadgets that the CRV comes with. I have most of them figured out but the "Walk Away Auto Lock" feature has me baffled. I get that when I get out and walk directly away from the car gives a single beep indicating the doors are locked. But I've noticed if I get out and walk to the back of the car, by the tailgate, it gives two beeps. I've checked and the doors still lock, I just can't figure out what the two beeps indicate as apposed to the single beep. I've combed through the manual extensively and can't seem to find any mention of it. Any ideas?
Mine gives the first beep when I get approx 3 feet away from the vehicle. The 2nd beep is about 15-20 feet away and I don't always hear that one due to the distance or background noise. Once in a while, when I first walk away, I hear 3 fast beeps -- which I assume means that at least one door (or hatch) isn't closed all the way. So far this happens if the door is shut too gently. I seem to get the best results if the door is shut a little firmly (but not "slammed").

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 3 fast beeps means that the car cannot tell if the remote is in or out of the car.
3 fast beeps can also mean that all the doors are closed as they should be and that you are walking away expecting to hear the 2 beep auto lock confirmation, but since this is the first new car you've had in a dozen years, you forgot to push the button to turn the car off and it is sitting in the parking lot with the engine running. Ask me how I know...... :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
3 fast beeps can also mean that all the doors are closed as they should be and that you are walking away expecting to hear the 2 beep auto lock confirmation, but since this is the first new car you've had in a dozen years, you forgot to push the button to turn the car off and it is sitting in the parking lot with the engine running. Ask me how I know...... :D
That's kinda funny, and I probably will do that at some point since the car is so quiet when idling. Whenever I walk away when mine is running, I don't get any beeps. Also, no beeps if the car is off and the fob is in the car. The only way I get the 3 beeps is when the sensors don't "think" the doors are shut (even though they all look secure.)

I also thought it strange the way it locked itself yesterday: I used the remote to unlock the car from inside my house so my son could get something out of the car. A couple of hours later, I went to the car and it was locked. I had assumed that it would only lock itself when it sensed the fob "walking away."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've done THAT a couple of times LOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I did some "regression testing" last night. Mine will only beep once, but I know it's locking because A. I've put the key fob several feet away and walked back to the car to check and the doors are locked and 2. most of the time I can hear the clunk of the lock engaging. I'm going to swing by the dealer tomorrow and talk to them about it since I have to find out if I'm doing something wrong with the remote start....it doesn't start the car...I also tell them about the driver side rear door, it doesn't fully unlatch when you pull the handle...you have to release the handle and pull it again then the door opens. I'm sure it's just an adjustment. Hopefully these are the biggest "problems" I have with this car because I'm really loving it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought there was a setting in the infotainment system that changes the behavior of the beeps/doors unlocking-locking.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I did some "regression testing" last night. Mine will only beep once, but I know it's locking because A. I've put the key fob several feet away and walked back to the car to check and the doors are locked and 2. most of the time I can hear the clunk of the lock engaging. I'm going to swing by the dealer tomorrow and talk to them about it since I have to find out if I'm doing something wrong with the remote start....it doesn't start the car...I also tell them about the driver side rear door, it doesn't fully unlatch when you pull the handle...you have to release the handle and pull it again then the door opens. I'm sure it's just an adjustment. Hopefully these are the biggest "problems" I have with this car because I'm really loving it.
"Regression testing" takes me back to my pre-retirement days...NOOOOO! Lol

Are you an IT or software person?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Regression testing" takes me back to my pre-retirement days...NOOOOO! Lol

Are you an IT or software person?
Why yes I am. Used to work for a software sales company back in the day and regression testing popped into my head for the first time in a long time today.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mine gives the first beep when I get approx 3 feet away from the vehicle. The 2nd beep is about 15-20 feet away and I don't always hear that one due to the distance or background noise. Once in a while, when I first walk away, I hear 3 fast beeps -- which I assume means that at least one door (or hatch) isn't closed all the way. So far this happens if the door is shut too gently. I seem to get the best results if the door is shut a little firmly (but not "slammed").
I tested this out again yesterday and deliberately left the passenger door partly closed (got a alert on the dash.) Walked away and no beeps, not even the three-beep signal I had before. Now I am just confused as I can't find anything about a 3-beep signal in the owner's manual.

I do remember when first hearing this that I re-shut the driver's door and got the normal walk-away and lock beeps.

Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get 3 beeps when the CR-V is telling me it can't figure out whether the keys are inside or outside -- usually after I've been walking around and using multiple doors.

I get no beeps when it does the walk-away auto lock, probably because I changed the beep settings for locking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I figured it out. So while I had double checked that the doors were locking despite the fact I was only getting one beep, I must have only been checking the front doors. I did one last test and made absolutely sure I checked all 5 doors...well 4 doors and the tailgate. Driver door locked, passenger front and rear doors locked, tailgate locked, driver side rear door, was not locking. :confused: Looking inside, I noticed the orange sticker on the lock knob of that door wasn't showing as much as the ones on the other doors. I manually pushed it to the unlock position, closed the door then walked away and voila!!! two beeps and flashing lights when I walked away. WOO HOO :cool: Checked all 5 doors and all of them were now locked.

Also, I think I mentioned I was having trouble with that door not opening properly..it would unlatch partially and you had to release the door handle, pull it again and the door would open. My remote start is working now too. :cool:

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts