Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I made the decision to buy a 2017 CR-V about a month ago after lots of research and test drives. Unfortunately, we just can't seem to buy what we want - an AWD Touring model in gunmetal or modern steel metallic. It's very frustrating.

We're currently living in central Texas, where AWD is not really needed, and it seems that only 10-20% of what dealers get in are AWD. Take that low percentage and the fact that nearly all of what I see coming in are black, white or red, and there just aren't any of what we want in stock. The few that appear are in the Dallas area, a 3-hour drive from home, where a typical "deal" is a $40 discount off MSRP, plus a few hundred dollars worth of dealer addons priced at an additional $1995.

My first reaction was to custom order one, but was told that dealers can't order anything specific, they just get what Honda sends them. I don't know if this is true or if they are just lazy or only want to sell what's on their lot.

The other alternative I've been offered is to put down $500 deposit on a deal for a car that may come in some time in the next year - even such dealers apparently can only look ahead a few weeks to what is coming.

North to Oklahoma seems to be the only way I can find something that matches, but then we're talking about 6 or more driving hours one way. Even if we did a deal via email and got it shipped, that seems to be about $1 per mile, not cheap.

Am I overlooking an easier way to get what we want, or do I just have to wait additional weeks or months for something to show up?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a fun tool I found today. Go to honda website, next under shopping tools select inventory now put in zip code> select dealership > view inventory select your car. It will show you "in transit" cars aswell. Just search around.
Once you find it. Put in an online request(because most dealers like to be competitive so they will start with lower prices with online customers) for price on same trim level they have in stock. Get the absolute best pricing on it, then you tell them that you need this specific color. Don't let them know your weakness (In this case would be the color of car). Just one thing, be respectful to the sales person, you want them to work for you.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
A dealer can trade with another dealer to get a car for you. That's what happened with the CR-V I purchased. I was communicating with several dealers. One didn't have the color I wanted, but traded with another dealer so he could sell me the car.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A dealer should be able to trade for one just three hours away; this is common practice and dealers do it all the time. If one dealer won't, try another. The dealer you are currently using simply wants to off-load something off their lot and would prefer to not do any real work. They are betting you'll cave and just buy something in-stock.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Don't give up. I got my Touring back in Feb. and even then with a little work I got the exact car I wanted and well below MSRP and still got extras thrown in. The dealer didn't have the color I wanted but he found one and had it in a few days.

If you are very serious about the car you want do yourself a favor and be more open to doing some travel. I mean I would travel 500 or more miles to get the exact car I wanted and save $1,000 or $1,500 on it. You could take you car in for a trade or even rent a car one-way to pick it up.

I don't want to settle for less than what I want but I am also willing to make the effort to get it. Nothing is free in this world.
Best of luck getting your car and AWD is the cat's ass. Its not all about snow either. On a wet road AWD is so superior there is no comparison.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just go to Cars.com and put in all your search criteria, I'm sure there are several vehicles in your area on dealer lots, you just need to know where to look.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good suggestions, thanks - though they all seem to lead to dead ends or Dallas.
I tried the Honda website tool, which is nice; no matches listed for the 16 closest dealers to me, or the 12 closest dealers to Houston. I've been using a cars.com daily alert along with checking the Edmunds inventory tools, nothing in-state except Dallas area.
3 different times have tried the dealer trade route, without success - all of those cars are in Dallas, where price gouging appears to be the norm, and those dealers won't trade.
DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) area seems to be where all the gray AWD cars are going, and the two dealers I have talked to (including Honda of Fort Worth where the car in the previous post is) are grossly overpriced. Honda of Rockwall offers $40 off MSRP and adds $2000 of accessories, claims to price match but won't; Honda of Fort Worth offers a better deal, $2000 off MSRP but adds $1400 of accessories (window tint, pinstripes, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, nitrogen-filled-tires - which are maybe a $400 value and not sure I want pinstripes anyway).
So I guess I will follow up with the Fort Worth dealer again. Another option is buying sight-unseen from Phoenix or Tulsa, where there are multiple matches, and then having the car shipped here for about $500, still cheaper than buying in DFW. Anyone have experience buying remotely?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You can certainly negotiate an out-the-door price remotely; just do everything via e-mail, including them sending a firm purchase order to sign. But I wouldn't pay $500 to have it shipped. Buy the cheapest one-way airline ticket you can find to Tulsa and make a one-day road trip out of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I arranged the locating, negotiations and one-way drive arrangements to pick up my CR-V in Molten Lava Pearl from a dealer 300 miles away from me (all within a half day). I knew that I definitely wanted a 2WD Touring model in that color, and personally didn't care who knew it, lol! I located two vehicles with my desired specs, one in Baton Rouge, LA and the other in Columbia, SC. I'm closer to Baton Rouge so I rented a car one way and drove over the very next day to pick it up. A dealer I was trying to work with was hemming and hawing and otherwise dragging his feet (to me) when it came to locating a vehicle for me and arranging a dealer swap. Turns out that the car I found online and subsequently purchased was one that this dealer supposedly had been trying to arrange a swap for for me. The Baton Rouge dealer never even acknowledged their request, I found out after the fact. I was just better at getting the job done, I guess!

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went to my local Honda dealer in Little Rock AR and told them what I wanted - CR-V Touring, AWD, Modern Steel Metallic. The sales manager pulled up a list of CR-V's that were scheduled to be made and ordered the car I wanted with NO DEPOSIT. I had to wait a month, but I got the car with NO extra accessories and NO holes in the front bumper and NO dealer name plastered on the rear. I then ordered my accessories that I wanted (splash guards, LED lights and floor liners form passengers and cargo from College Hills Honda and put them on myself.

Night call and ask for Doug (salesman I used) and tell him I (George Toney) am referring you for the same type of service.

https://www.mclartyhonda.com/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very frustrating, I know. I'm in the DFW area. I have the cash to purchase an EX-L Nav, but will not accept one with $1400 worth add-ons, despite claim that they are almost throwing them in for nothing. And I won't put down a $500 deposit, as I won't commit to purchase an unseen car and without a thorough test drive first. And on top of that I only want one exterior/interior color combination.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very frustrating, I know. I'm in the DFW area. I have the cash to purchase an EX-L Nav, but will not accept one with $1400 worth add-ons, despite claim that they are almost throwing them in for nothing. And I won't put down a $500 deposit, as I won't commit to purchase an unseen car and without a thorough test drive first. And on top of that I only want one exterior/interior color combination.
My experiences exactly! You might want to check my post in the pricing thread, I've gotten some hugely discounted offers today from those same $1400-1800 dealer addon folks that more than make up for that extra cost.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, but when I was trying to find my model and color, my dealer offered me an extra discount on another color -- to save the dealership the cost of transporting one in for me. They were prepared to swap out one at a dealer over 300 miles away, so I am surprised that the transport costs are being passed to the customer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, but when I was trying to find my model and color, my dealer offered me an extra discount on another color -- to save the dealership the cost of transporting one in for me. They were prepared to swap out one at a dealer over 300 miles away, so I am surprised that the transport costs are being passed to the customer.
I got the same thing when I got my car but the price difference was only $150 or so. I don't blame them for the added cost, they did have to pay a guy to drive their car over to the other dealer some distance away, do paperwork and bring back the other car. They were giving me a car at a pretty darn good discount and included a lot of stuff for No-Charge so I was Ok with the deal. My time is worth something to me so I know when they have to pay people it comes off the deal somewhere.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I got the same thing when I got my car but the price difference was only $150 or so. I don't blame them for the added cost, they did have to pay a guy to drive their car over to the other dealer some distance away, do paperwork and bring back the other car. They were giving me a car at a pretty darn good discount and included a lot of stuff for No-Charge so I was Ok with the deal. My time is worth something to me so I know when they have to pay people it comes off the deal somewhere.
I had already negotiated a good deal -- with no dealer add-ons (which is a joke because the prep guy automatically pinstripes, adds wheel locks and nitrogen). They were prepared to take even more off the deal to eliminate the dealer's cost in transport.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Multiple dealers have made it clear that Honda badly underestimated the demand for AWD in Texas. Last Friday, I thought i had leads on a few and was going to make a deal.
1. Dealer 1 had one listed in stock and had a price of $1500 off MSRP; not great but the best I had seen. Called them and they had just traded it to another dealer that sells for more than MSRP.
2. Dealer 2 had one for $1077 off MSRP. They would not meet any of the other prices that I had, because they knew that model/color was in demand (only 3 in Texas, confirmed by other dealers). Their attitude caused me to say no.
3. Dealer 3 then offered one for $2200 off MSRP, I was going to take that deal but then the car was sold. However, they will find me one hopefully by the end of April for an extra $500 transfer fee (dropping discount to $1700 but still better than 1 or 2).

So, I put down a $500 deposit over the phone by credit card for them to start the search. i was happy with that because I find this whole searching and negotiating thing very stressful.

Now comes the tricky part. I had another dealer email me a price more like $3000 off MSRP. They have a matching model slated to start production near the end of April, meaning it will be delivered in 6-7 weeks.

So now I'm trying to figure out if I'm liable to complete the deal with dealer 3, given I put down a deposit. They said it was refundable, but not under what conditions. I didn't sign anything, wasn't ever physically at the dealer, but I did say yes to a price via email, and I have heard that email can be a form of contract.

I could cancel that deal, lose the deposit, and still end up $500 ahead, waiting another few weeks for delivery. Can I back out of that deal without getting in trouble?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts