• Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I live in Australia and am looking to buy a Honda CRV 2005. Not sure if they are listed for sale differently in other countries but I'll tell you the name of three I'm looking at :

2005 Honda CR-V RD MY2005 Sport Black
2004 Honda CR-V RD My2005 Sport Silver
2006 Honda CR-V RD Sport MY2005 UPGRADE MODEL

So first of I have 3 different years listed but all MY2005? Someone told me they are all manufactured in the same year and it's the year first registered/compliance completed that changes the years. Is this right?

Also, what is the difference with a MY2005 and MY2005 UPGRADE?

It's been a very confusing journey! At 37 years old it's the first time in my life I can afford a good car so I'm trying really hard to tick all the boxes and really research! About 10-15 years ago I sat in a Honda CR-V at a car show and I said "I'm going to have one of these one day!".

I've been told that the air-conditioning system of the 2004-2006 years can be problematic is there anything else that might be common that I should look out for? Planning on paying for an independent mechanical inspection so will note anything particular they should look out for.

Between two of the cars (2005 MY2005 black and the 2004 MY2005 silver) is 30,000 odd kms on the clock (114,000 vs 139,000) and $3,000 difference in price. Is an 30,000 extra kilometres significant in a Honda and should I take this into consideration or is it not a big deal?

And the only reason I'm going for 2006 or under is because I love the old shape and not so much the new shape.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciate! I'm about to part with around $12,500 - $15,000 and I want to make sure I make the best decision.

Thanking anyone in advance for their help :)
Michelle:D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Michelle, welcome to the forum from a relative newbie. I don't know a lot about the particular MY you're looking at but will offer this advice. Buy the best car you can afford. Since you're paying for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) make sure the mechanic is 1) trust worthy, 2) knows CR-V's 3) isn't someone that the owner recommends (as they may have a vested interest in the sale, you never know).
As to the 30k kms difference, it really depends on how the cars were serviced. I can see where the one with the lower mileage might not be in as good a shape as the other if it hasn't had the proper maintenance done. Talk to the owner(s) and get a feel for them as to whether or not they are 'car people' or just treat their cars as appliances. Trust your gut feel.
I know this isn't too 'concrete' as far as advice goes but it's the best I can offer.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Normally I suggest you go for the newest one as they have less wear on them, especially with bad winters, but you don't get snow, so I'd say they are all close in age.

Get the one you like best, you'll know by test driving all 3!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Congratulations on your good taste, I also think the design of 2002-2006 CR-V, 2:nd generation, is very appealing:). I bought a 150 000 km 2005:er about 10 weeks ago.
I do not know the differences between your three candidates, but at least in Europe, there was a considerable facelift with the model year 2005. See http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...odel-year-2005-facelift-official-details.html
I guess the earliest of those 2005:ers were delivered end of 2004. Perhaps then some improvements of any flaws of the changes were made for 2006 (?)
In my case, I also thought about a considerably cheaper 2004 CR-V (and some Toyota RAV-4:s), but decided to go for a 2005 CR-V. I was lucky - the one I came across at a Honda dealer had only one previous owner, who apparently kept it very well. And now for my advice: The service schedule book was in my case filled with all the Honda service stamps and some notes about what had been done. Invoices from the services had also been kept, describing spare parts and what had been done. So, if any of your candidates has a recorded history of services, I think that may be worth a lot.

Possibly, I read in this forum that the AC /climate control problems were fixed for model year 2005-2006. Not sure, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice guys! I will be looking at all three very carefully and will inspect the service log book etc. They are all from Car Dealers which I'm thinking is a better choice because they can offer a 3 year warranty but then I can't scope out the owners/question them. HOWEVER... a 2007 one popped up today (private seller) for around the same money and it's a 2007. Bit confused though because it's the old shape still. I thought 2007 was when the new shape came in? Might message them to confirm that :) I'll let you know how I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.