Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE CR-V OF THE MONTH
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Warm weather cold weather 1.5 Turbo dilution issues...POLL short trip long trip

• • I have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • • I do NOT have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • • I live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • • I do NOT live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • • most of my trips are greater than 10 miles

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • • Most of my trips are NOT greater than 10 miles

Votes: 2 5.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE ANSWER 3 QUESTIONS . The goal of this poll is to determine how widespread the fuel dilution issue is in warm weather areas. the assumption is that in general, cold weather/short trip =fuel dilution.. I live in Southern Calif, how many folks in temperate climate have fuel dilution issues with the 1.5 L Turbo engine?

i AM GOING TO REQUEST THAT THIS POLL AND POSTS BE REMOVED. THE POLL IS A FAILURE.. WITHOUT KNOWING IF YOU LIVE IN A VERY COLD ENVIRONMENT THIS POLL IS A FAILURE. I DESIGNED THIS POLL AND ITS NOT WORKING.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,788 Posts
I respect your attempt with this poll, as I have no idea how to create an effective one! LOL However, when voting, I would have chosen more than 1 item.

Here is what I would choose in your poll if I could choose more than one.

-> CHOOSEN : I do NOT have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine

-I do NOT live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius

-Most of my trips are NOT greater than 10 miles

EDIT: Another question might have been: If you have the oil dilution issue, do you have a 2017 or a 2018 CRV?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
No I do not have oil dilution issues.
I drive 6 miles to work and 6 miles home 5 days a week.
I do not live in a cold area below 45F.

And to answers @AZ_CRV reply in the closed first poll where he said:

Even saying only 20% of owners have the problem doesn't add confidence especially when Honda chooses to ignore the issue and count on the distracted US consumer once again laying back and taking it to the hind quarters.

If 20% of 17/18 CRV owners in North America had the major oil dilution problem that would be some where around 80,000 vehicles coming in to Honda with oil lights on and gas and egg fumes all over the place. I think we all know that the number is not even remotely close to that, most likely closer to .2% to 2%

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I respect your attempt with this poll, as I have no idea how to create an effective one! LOL However, when voting, I would have chosen more than 1 item.

Here is what I would choose in your poll if I could choose more than one.

-> CHOOSEN : I do NOT have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine

-I do NOT live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius

-Most of my trips are NOT greater than 10 miles

EDIT: Another question might have been: If you have the oil dilution issue, do you have a 2017 or a 2018 CRV?
Yes, making a poll is not as easy as it may look. For example I would have assumed that each person entering a response for his CRV would have had to enter the answers for 3 questions.
and, since the 2017 and 2018 vehicles have the same 1.5 L engine, I did not see the need to specify the year.

·
5,788 Posts
Yes, making a poll is not as easy as it may look. For example I would have assumed that each person entering a response for his CRV would have had to enter the answers for 3 questions.
and, since the 2017 and 2018 vehicles have the same 1.5 L engine, I did not see the need to specify the year.
I understand your thought on 2017 vs 2018, but it is possible that Honda made some un-announced changes to the 2018. I know there are many documented other changes between the '17s and '18s that have been discussed on this forum...

As two examples" the 17s had a browser on the head unit/entertaiment screen, 18's don't have the browser. The 17's had an issue with the Adaptive Cruise control that was fixed with some new programming, and presumable was updated during production on the 18's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do not have a problem...yet. Having said that, I do live in an area that gets very cold.
I am wondering if more research is needed to narrow down the problem.
Does it matter if you make long or short trips?
Is it only a problem in cold weather, regardless of short or long trips?
The vehicles with problems are parked outside in cold weather? (my car is in a heated garage during the winter and I don't have problems...would that be a reason?)
Why do Civics or Accords not have the same issues? They have models that have the same drive train.
Why is Honda America (and/or Canada) not acknowledging the issues?

·
Registered
891 Posts
No I do not have oil dilution issues.
I drive 6 miles to work and 6 miles home 5 days a week.
I do not live in a cold area below 45F.

And to answers @AZ_CRV reply in the closed first poll where he said:

Even saying only 20% of owners have the problem doesn't add confidence especially when Honda chooses to ignore the issue and count on the distracted US consumer once again laying back and taking it to the hind quarters.

If 20% of 17/18 CRV owners in North America had the major oil dilution problem that would be some where around 80,000 vehicles coming in to Honda with oil lights on and gas and egg fumes all over the place. I think we all know that the number is not even remotely close to that, most likely closer to .2% to 2%

Rob
I uderstand what your saying but again, extreme results appear to be your only criteria for this being an issue. Others feel rising oil levels or fuel odors in oil within a few hundred or a few thousand miles of driving is an anomly that shouldn't be present in a normally driven reliable vehicle.

This is an inherent DI problem that Honda didn't appreciate or adequately design to.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I uderstand what your saying but again, extreme results appear to be your only criteria for this being an issue. Others feel rising oil levels or fuel odors in oil within a few hundred or a few thousand miles of driving is an anomly that shouldn't be present in a normally driven reliable vehicle.

This is an inherent DI problem that Honda didn't appreciate or adequately design to.
I understand why some people would be nervous. For me I went in well informed from the guys at the race club that if I got a GDI engine I would have a smell of gas in the oil and that I needed to run the vehicle from time to time to keep the oil levels from rising and to keep the gas smell to a minimum. They also warned me that the oil should be changed at every 5000Km or less.

You may be right that Honda did not implement or design some aspects of this engine for extreme cold temperatures and I find it surprising that they have not done some small easy fixes like reprogramming the system so that the front shudders stay closed until the engine is warmed up or that they have not made the cabin fan default to its lowest speed on remote start when it detects temperature is colder than X deg. I think several software mods could have made life better during those cold months.

Rob

·
Registered
137 Posts
Commendable effort, but very confusing poll. That's probably why, between the one that's locked and this one, that there are over 650 views and only 20 replies. I, like others, would have chosen more than one if allowed by the poll and I think that was your original intent since you stated "Please answer 3 questions."

I know this is really more than you need to know since you live in southern California, but for the greater good of all the forum members, suggest starting over with the following:
  • • I have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine AND I live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius
  • • I have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine BUT I do NOT live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius
  • • I do NOT have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine BUT I live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius
  • • I do NOT have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine AND I do NOT live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,126 Posts
When you start looking at the multiple variables in usage, temperatures, climate, distances, gas and oil types, (yada, yada) I doubt that simple forum software has the ability to handle something as complex as this.

At least to the satisfaction of the OP, let alone those taking the survey.

Its potentially the kind of survey that class action lawsuit mills will publish online and take up far more of your time to complete with many different questions.

Just my 02....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, cant say I didnt give it a try. I will gladly have someone else re-design the poll. No problem there.
For now, I see over 450 views and 10 that have indicated they have fuel dilution problems.
If there is a professional Poll designer out there, please make a more effective poll. I have read the other thread on fuel dilution and it really is not easy to discern how prevalent the issue is for 1.5L turbo owners that live in temperate climates...Moderators, please assist if you can for a better poll. Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
My answers:

• I have fuel dilution issues with my 2017/2018 CRV 1.5L Turbo engine
  • I live in an area with very cold weather often...below 45 F or 7 degrees Celsius
  • • most of my trips are greater than 10 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I am weighing purchasing a CRV , I live in the southern calif area. The Arizona poster has fuel dilution, however Arizona has a very cold time of the year too. Is there anyone out there that has NOT been exposed to extreme cold that has fuel dilution issues or is it very rare? Too bad my poll was effective.

·
5,788 Posts
It really depends on where in Arizona your are talking about when you say very cold time of the year...I live in southern AZ, doesn't get very cold here, i think we had a couple of nights slightly below 32 degrees this past winter. and have no evidence of oil being diluted by fuel. I probably haven't driven the CR-V in under freezing temperatures. No gas smell, no increase of oil levels. 2018 Touring. Mostly short trips under 10 miles. Lifetime fuel economy, 34.79 MPG calculated over 5,600 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2017 1.5T has fuel dilution issues - confirmed by Blackstone oil analysis at 4500 miles on the oil. Oil viscosity was out of spec(too thin) with excessive engine wear and fuel in oil.
We live in Austin,Texas where winters are very mild. Most trips are >10miles.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,643 Posts
My 2017 1.5T has fuel dilution issues - confirmed by Blackstone oil analysis at 4500 miles on the oil. Oil viscosity was out of spec(too thin) with excessive engine wear and fuel in oil.
We live in Austin,Texas where winters are very mild. Most trips are >10miles.
Please explain how Blackstone can determine that your engine has "excessive engine wear". That would be quite expensive to send your engine to Blackstone and have them take it all apart for inspection.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Please explain how Blackstone can determine that your engine has "excessive engine wear". That would be quite expensive to send your engine to Blackstone and have them take it all apart for inspection.
I would assume that the analysis showed higher than expected levels of 'wear metals.'

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I would assume that the analysis showed higher than expected levels of 'wear metals.'
Which was also be the case if you sent in your first or even second oil change to be checked.
Also any bad part in the engine can send that number through the roof. At best it's a number that can be used in context to other previous tests and still leaves you pretty much knowing nothing except that there may be a problem occurring.

Rob

·
Registered
314 Posts
Which was also be the case if you sent in your first or even second oil change to be checked.
In which case the elevated levels would be expected, not higher than expected.

At best it's a number that can be used in context to other previous tests and still leaves you pretty much knowing nothing except that there may be a problem occurring.
Worth knowing, IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.