Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, walked out to our 2012 CR-V EX-L this morning. Car has been stationary for 2-3 days. Started car no issues, couldn't move shifter out of Park. Looked at dash, see the stability warning light on ("skid marks"). About 30 seconds later, the power steering light comes on. Popped the shifter bypass cover off, and used a screwdriver to move the shifter out of Park. Drove the car about 500 feet to see if I could notice any driving issues, but everything seemed fine. However lights wouldnt go out.

Checked the serpentine belt and its fine.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,514 Posts
A good scanner that can read Honda's extended fault codes and device status would be nice here.
There are 4 interlocks for the shift lever to unlock
1. Ignition switch on. (you know that's working)
2. Brake peddle switch ( you can check this by pressing the peddle and see if the brake lights come on).
3. Accelerator pedal position sensor ( pedal not being pressed).
4. Transmission range switch. ( for a simple check, does the PRNDL lights on the dash turn on)
Then of course there is the shift lock solenoid which must operate to unlock the shift lever.

However I wouldn't think those would cause the steering and VSA lights to illuminate.
But a low voltage would cause those light to turn on. I would first start with checking for a bad battery or charging system first. Especially since the car was sitting for a couple of days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, weird as it may seem, The issue turned out to be a couple of strange coincidences: We were parked on a slight sidehill at our current campground, plus the power steering cap/dipstick was partially open. So, after I had driven a few hundred feet, and parked level, plus ensured the PS cap was tight, everything was good - no lights, no issue with shifter. Really don't understand how the shifter issue ties into the warning lights, but everything has been fine all day...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.