Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a warranty extension notice for 17-18 CR-Vs title Software update with A/C control unit replacement; DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or P0172; Whirling Noise from Engine

Powertrain Warranty extended to 6 years, unlimited mileage

No specific TSB identified. Service Bulletin #19-032

FYI

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Received our warranty extension letter today.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I should of searched. Received mine yesterday too. Does this mean we have to take it in or monitor?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My question wasn't that I wanted to know, but as a response to your question "Does this mean we have to take it in or monitor?" (in other words, read the letter to understand what you need to do).

I do see that in the middle of the page in the section titled "What will Honda do?"
No action is required unless, during the applicable warranty period, your vehicle starts to experience any of the concerns listed in the first paragraph. If your vehicle experiences any of those concerns, contact any authorized Honda dealer for an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. Based on the inspection results, the necessary repairs may include softare updates to the ECU and TCM, A/C control unit replacement, replacement of the camshafts, rocker arm assemblies, or spark plugs, or other associated repairs, which will be performed for free.
The first paragraph tells you what to watch for so you know there's a problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Whirling noise from the engine compartment?
According to the relevant TSB for the issue, if the cams are worn or defective.. at higher RPM (above 2500 rpm) the engine will give off a very clear and noticeable whirring sound. Honda corporate even provides dealers with a sound file to compare with as part of their diagnostic troubleshooting.

The problem with this term "whirring noise" is that when owners read this.. they being trying to see if they can detect any such noise from their engines. I get that Honda is just being consistent and complete with their TSBs to dealers here in the letter.. but this is probably going to trigger some "false positives" from owners. That said.. if you think you hear a weird noise from your engine.. take to the dealer and let them evaluate it... as they have all the data and information to do so in an objective manner.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't get any "whirring" noises. Just plenty of general noise. I hear tell it's better than the previous gen, but by no means quiet. Still wondering what if anything the so-called Active Noise Cancellation does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received the same Product Advisory in the mail this week. When I contacted the Service Dept Manager where I leased my vehicle, he said he knew nothing about it. Not terribly surprised.

Just received a warranty extension notice for 17-18 CR-Vs title Software update with A/C control unit replacement; DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or P0172; Whirling Noise from Engine

FYI

·
Registered
26 Posts

FYI
I have a 2018 CRV EX, So received this notice. First, the good news. Honda is putting a plan in place to extend the warranty to account for these problems. Please note that the following is based on my experience as a "weekend mechanic" and product developer at a large computer company, so may not be factual for this problem. It feels to me like the the letter is filled with "weasel words". What is "driveability"? It seems more like engine reliability over the long haul on some cars. My conjectures on this are: On affected cars, there is fuel that is leaking around the piston rings due to a tolerance problem in manufacturing between the pistons, rings and cylinder. That is a very high pressure area during the compression stroke before the plug fires. Some other websites have indicated that some blow-by of fuel is normal at around 2%, and that fuel winds up in the crankcase. Once that crankcase gets warm, the fuel evaporates and goes through the PCV system to go back and get burned. Therefore the oil level should not rise. One person had the fuel content of the oil measured at 9%. It also seems that this problem is most prevalent when making short trips with a short warmup period. Therefore, the air conditioning program needs to be changed so that the engine can warm up more quickly. It seems they find this problem more often in places with low temperatures. As engines warm up, the cylinder /ring tolerances would decrease as the metals in question expand. That would reduce the blow-by. The warranty memo shows some consequences. A richer mixture as the engine tries to absorb the blow-by, namely plugs misfiring (fouling), rich mixture codes. More sinister damage can ensue from this problem over time. They list plugs, camshaft and rocker arm issues. These components count on proper lubrication by the engine oil - if it is diluted with fuel, it is no longer an adequate lubricant. These are also components that are relatively fixable by the dealer (at a significant cost to Honda). Once these components fail, one should question whether the cylinders/rings are wearing in excess. If those components fail, customers will need an engine replacement. I would expect the symptoms of this to be loss of power, blue smoke out the tailpipe. Now the turbo may wear out sooner since it is trying to deliver more power to the engine. This is a tiny engine and counts on the turbo for acceleration. I'm not sure whether the whirling noise is due to the turbo, or camshafts/rockers going out. If it happens when the turbo isn't active (steady speed driving), it may be more related to the camshafts, rockers. If during acceleration, I'd suspect the turbo is also getting inadequate lubrication.

Parts of this problem are addressed by replacement of the ECU, and TCM. We would often would look to software first in the computer business to see if we could solve a mechanical problem as it is much cheaper. These replacements will probably trade off some desirable thing to make the car more reliable or in their terminology "driveable". Naturally, Honda could be more proactive and make make a recall of ECU/TCU for all CRVs of this vintage, but they may lead to other customer satisfaction issues that only they know about. I would like Honda to be more proactive on this situation and more definitive on the recall. What could owners do for a better outcome like warming the car more before going out on short errands, or changing the oil more frequently?

Since these are only opinions based on limited data, you are welcome to bring better facts to these concerns. I'd like this otherwise excellent car to "live long and prosper".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also received the letter. Have a 2018 CR-V. Initially thought that Honda was doing the right thing. They are, somewhat. I do wonder if the Honda folks who come up with these "fixes" live in a 50 mile radius world. Travel from Denver to St Louis on occasion. Checked the Honda dealerships along I-70 and found one in Salina, KS. 450 miles from Denver. So what happens if the light comes on or whirring noise, in Goodland, KS? I stop and let the engine cool down and then drive to Salina or back to Denver (approx 225 miles either way) at 30 MPH? Seriously? Called 6 or 7 agencies about this, i.e., dealership service, Honda customer service, state attorney general, better business bureau, Federal Trade Commission, NHTSA, and one other. The NHTSA person told me that auto manufacturers only do warranty extensions or recalls "voluntarily" unless it becomes some legal issue (think VW airbags). Reading some of the posts there seems to be a software fix so why doesn't Honda just fix that or better yet, figure out what causes the problem and fix it. Oh, wait, that would be a "voluntary" recall. The dealership service person said this issue has been noticed in cold weather states, not here in Colorado (huh?). (think about it) Really like the CR-V but I think Honda is doing a disservice to its customers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also received the letter. Have a 2018 CR-V. Initially thought that Honda was doing the right thing. They are, somewhat. I do wonder if the Honda folks who come up with these "fixes" live in a 50 mile radius world. Travel from Denver to St Louis on occasion. Checked the Honda dealerships along I-70 and found one in Salina, KS. 450 miles from Denver. So what happens if the light comes on or whirring noise, in Goodland, KS? I stop and let the engine cool down and then drive to Salina or back to Denver (approx 225 miles either way) at 30 MPH? Seriously? Called 6 or 7 agencies about this, i.e., dealership service, Honda customer service, state attorney general, better business bureau, Federal Trade Commission, NHTSA, and one other. The NHTSA person told me that auto manufacturers only do warranty extensions or recalls "voluntarily" unless it becomes some legal issue (think VW airbags). Reading some of the posts there seems to be a software fix so why doesn't Honda just fix that or better yet, figure out what causes the problem and fix it. Oh, wait, that would be a "voluntary" recall. The dealership service person said this issue has been noticed in cold weather states, not here in Colorado (huh?). (think about it) Really like the CR-V but I think Honda is doing a disservice to its customers.
If I were in your position I would start meticulously measuring and documenting oil levels. Maybe you can trigger the clause that gets you the fix. Other option would be to perhaps take the long route to St Louis sometime on 90 and stop in a cold weather state and come up with a story about how much time you spend there and need the fix done.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received this letter and also the letter about the button on the shifter. I have lost faith in Honda. I don't want to worry about my car when I drive several hundred miles alone to see my son. I am seriously considering trading crv in on a Subaru or Toyota.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I received this letter and also the letter about the button on the shifter. I have lost faith in Honda. I don't want to worry about my car when I drive several hundred miles alone to see my son. I am seriously considering trading crv in on a Subaru or Toyota.
What issues exactly have you had with your CRV? I'm not talking about support letters received from Honda, on possible quality issues that Honda is actually taking seriously and addressing.

So they give every owner a free extension on powertrain warranty (for peace of mind and good will, because a limited number of owners have had engine issues), and they offer to replace a shifter button at no charge, because their may be a quality issue with the original from the factory... and you are in a panic and want to get rid of your CRV??????? You do understand what the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty is all about.. right?

Note: if you research new car defect rates on modern vehicles.... literally EVERY single brand, make, and model is expected to have one or more recalls or failures during the warranty period. And current generation Subarus and Toyotas have their own, though different, defect issues they are dealing with as well. You could very well hop out of the frying pan and directly into the fire here.

I encourage you to actually carefully consider what you are tempted to do here... before leaping. :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,780 Posts
I think the only people with reason to be upset are those why paid for an extended warranty on their Honda's and now receive this letter.
Its a helluva good deal for you. Its also Honda's way of stopping any potential class action lawsuits dead in the water. Historically all the CALs have done for owners is result in a warranty extension. To get to that point, Honda has to payoff the greedy plaintiff lawyers.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I think the only people with reason to be upset are those why paid for an extended warranty on their Honda's and now receive this letter.
Its a helluva good deal for you. Its also Honda's way of stopping any potential class action lawsuits dead in the water. Historically all the CALs have done for owners is result in a warranty extension. To get to that point, Honda has to payoff the greedy plaintiff lawyers.

As an owner with a HondCare policy active on my vehicle.. I'm not bent about this at all. I bought the HondaCare for all the stuff that is NOT covered by the normal 5/60 powertrain warranty. :)

I agree with you about cutting the CAL lawyers off at the knees though. :) They reap mountains of fees, and the owners get a warranty extension. Honda getting in front of them on this is a smart move.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts