Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
water in fuel filter" lamp NOT coming on at "bulb check" key turn ?!= car wont start

Hi all,

slightly perplexing issue with our 2007 2.2 CDTI CR-V -am hoping someone may have an idea what is going on here..

when turning key to point 2 (?), where all the check lamps come on briefly, then most go out, and you start the car, the above lamp, for "water in fuel filter", DOESN'T come on, every time you start the car. if it does not light up, you can't start the car. it cranks, but won't start, you have to flick key back to previous (removal) point, and try again. sometimes we have to do so this 5 times, sometimes, 100 times, in order to get this warning lamp to light up, then we know the car will start.

- once started, and running, no lamps display, and the car runs perfectly, with no problems, or warning lights.
it's only an issue at the "check" stage.

we had the fuel filter replaced (genuine honda item), but this made no difference.

to me, it suggests more of a sensor related issue, either as part of the fuel assembly /rail..or, an intermittent fault with the ECU programming.

next step, according to the Honda stealer is replace the fuel rail...at £1200 + labour....hmm..
any opinion or advice gratefully received !

many thanks

toffy

water in fuel filter lamp.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Diesels have fuel filters and the ability to drain off fluid nearby.
Locate the fuel filter, (probably under the bonnet) and see if you can find the drain.
It's worth draining a few fluid oz of liquid into a container and replacing the filter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This sound like a low pressure issue:- Your target rail pressure should be approx. 30MPa/300bar at engine cranking and has to reach a minimum of 20MPa/200bar for the injectors to actually be allowed to operate by the ECU. You need a local mechanic capable of checking your rail pressure to check this for you.

It could also be a leak-back issue with the injectors and any garage should be able to assist you with this.
If you get chance have a read of this >>>
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/111264-how-diagnose-replace-faulty-over-pressure-relief-valve-2006-2-2-ctdi.html

Kev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many thanks. i did read that..yes, agree it could be that area..rather than SW /ECU related..hard to know right now. as I waited 2 weeks for an appt. with the local honda dealer to assess the hard code related to ECU error, which is tomorrow, will see what they say.

looks like i missed this out from original post:
if it wont start (as in, lamp does NOT come on initially), the OBD2 reads a hard code of p0602 ="ECM program error". once you DO get engine to start, this code disappears..no other codes showing,

if Honda just say "replace the fuel rail"...i'll politely decline and get my local mechanic to do some fuel checks on it, with maybe a new bosch pressure relief valve -such as this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281795258636?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

or even get him to fit a second hand fuel rail..such as this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CRV-CIVIC-ACCORD-2007-2-2-DIESEL-FUEL-INJECTOR-RAIL-0445214051-/272277092181?hash=item3f64fab755:g:IgsAAOSwFnFWE-UJ

- many thanks
toffy

·
Registered
303 Posts
All,

Although I only dream of owning a diesel CR-V here in the US, I have owned more than a few diesel vehicles over the years.

Why would the fuel rail issue (which is mechanical) affect a short in the dashlight for "Water In Fuel" (electrical)? This sensor would be located at the fuel filter/water seperator bowl, right? And the failure for the light to even come on when the ignition is turned to 2 would be ECU related?

And to confirm but when the new fuel filter was installed, was the fuel drain valve opened first to allow the bowl to fully drain? Its a good practice to drain the fuel bowl every 3 months into a glass jar and let it sit for a few days to see if any water is present.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts