Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
CRV taillights dont have gaskets. There is plugs in the body for the wire loom that is it. The material around the taillights is not to keep water out, it's to pad between the tail lights and body.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I don't have this issue with my '07, but I saw a YouTube video on it somewhere. As I recall, the guy showed where there was a body panel seam leaking. It was on the driver side at the lower rear of the side of the car. about even with the centerline of the spare tire wheel well. The seam had a gap in it you could see daylight through. He sealed it up with putty tape and solved the issue. I would use black 3M weatherstrip adhesive. You have to pull the interior side trim panel and then you are looking right at the seam in question. In the video I could easily see the bright light shining through the vertical seam down just above the floor. I don't know if there's a corresponding one on the other side, but there might be. Anyways, he said he had heard it was a fairly common issue usually fixed on the assembly line but sometimes missed. I'll probably check mine next summer, when I will have the interior panels out anyway for soundproofing.

That's my best guess. If it's the taillights, I'd still use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. The stuff never hardens, will bond to metal and rubber alike, and works like magic. Of course, that's just an expression, since I don't really know exactly how magic works. But whenever I use it, once I'm done I always say abracadabra. Works like a charm. Or something. I would put it on openings in the sheet metal where water could enter, behind the taillights.

Tracking down a water leak can be tricky. In the rear of the car you've got the antenna on the roof, plus the luggage rack mount points. Then there's the whole tailgate, with it's hinges, alignment, weatherstrip gasket, the taillights, and who knows what else. If there are no visible traces you can see to track it down, it could turn into one of those things where you have to find a way to outsmart an inanimate object, which sounds simple, but simple is not the same thing as easy. Just ask the physicists at the supercollider.

Let us know how it turns out, for reference purposes.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Yeah the leaking seams in the trunk 'well' are usually the culprit on Gen3 CR-Vs.

There are Topics in the Similar Threads section near the bottom of each page...:temptation:

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX petrol Auto
7 Posts
Water in the spare tyre well of 2007 CRVs vintage 2007 seems to be a common problem.
It's now happened to me.
Any input from Bartross (above) or anyone who has solved the leak problem would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 CRV EX
89 Posts
Check the side windows and/or the rear lift gate bolts on the roof. To figure out, try getting someone to use a garden hose (without spayer) and wet the top of the rear fixed window and you look into the spare tire well and the side panel and see if any water coming through. If that that yield nothing, then do the same for the rear lift gate bolts area.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX petrol Auto
7 Posts
Thanks guys.
Car had to go in for an AC repair and I bought up the water subject. Garage checked and said the rubber seal (that surrounds the boot area when you open rear door ) needed replacing. This was done 3 days ago . Will do the water test this weekend and report back !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello. New to the club. My daughter owns a 2007 CRV. I drive a 2007 Element. Her spare tire well is wet. I've determined where the water is entering the spare tire well, but not where it is entering the body. It's coming in above the smear of sealant across the back of the well. It's almost as if they missed the gap when they were sealing the body. There's a substantial gap between panels there where I can shine a light through (see photo). I can seal the spots it's getting into the well, but won't it just pile up behind the rear panel? If anyone has found the entry point I'd love to hear it before I pull the side panels off.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I suggest opening a new topic then bringing t these old one's two years ago that the Op has not return, The members will be swift to post to yours in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX petrol Auto
7 Posts
This is a long overdue update from 5 months ago...see above post.
water in wheel well was fixed by garage replacing the rubber seal around the bodywork / tailgate door.
Since then there has been a lot of rain in UK and the wheel well has remained dry (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts