Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Navigation vs Android Auto thread has a link to the correct APK that you can download. Personally I downloaded on my phone and it asked to install.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm a beta tester too, and there's a non disclosure agreement you agreed to. be careful :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
What could possibly happened if you agreed to try their apps?
They could kick you out of the beta program. For maximal punishment, I guess if they really wanted to, they could kick you out of waze altogether (they have a record of your phone number/Device ID/gmail account associated with your waze account).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"There is no such requirement from Waze to be an active Waze forum user, nor even be a user for 1 day to become a tester. " that what I found on Waze centercode forum. Their site(forum) " https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=373&t=81895&sid=a8bb1fc1cb4ced944f2588d263a1bad2"

·
Registered
430 Posts
"There is no such requirement from Waze to be an active Waze forum user, nor even be a user for 1 day to become a tester. " that what I found on Waze centercode forum. Their site(forum) " https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=373&t=81895&sid=a8bb1fc1cb4ced944f2588d263a1bad2"
Centercode is a different Waze forum website then the one you referenced above. You have to register/apply to become a beta tester. Waze will then approve or not approve you. Once approved, you can download beta apks from the centercode forum website. In every email to beta testers, they have a confidentiality warning, not to share the apk or discuss issues/bugs outside of the centercode waze beta forum.

With that said, I doubt they will punish anyone. The beta apks have been leaked for years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably in front of the train because I was able to download apk before their approval.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So now it's official - it's out of beta and available:
techcrunch.com/2017/07/26/waze-finally-arrives-on-android-auto

Did anyone try it yet on their 2017 CR-V? are Taco Bell and other ads as intrusive as on the mobile ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
No mobile ads (yet)...

Just the basic functionality (good) my only wish is they would place the current speed and max speed on the screen like the non-AA version.

Over all great job - a few bugs but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
After playing around with it on a recent business trip, I can say that I prefer Google Maps when traveling. Waze auto-routes you down strange detours that I wasn't real comfortable with as an out-of-towner, but wouldn't have had a problem with if I was familiar with those roads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I had the chance to test it out on an a short 300 mile trip. It was quite unreliable too often that I felt uncomfortable using it on the way back from my trip.

Whenever we were in an area without cell signal Waze would get confused, start to freeze up and even crashed. I was unable to reopen it on the road.

Once we were going through mountains and 5 miles through I realized Waze still said 17 miles left. Thankfully I noticed and pulled over before I missed an exit and switched to google maps which had no problems taking us there in the reminder of the trip and back home even parts without cell signal.

Seems Waze is too dependent on Data and is unable to efficiently resort to just GPS signal. This could just be an Android Auto thing though I'm not sure as I never used Waze before Android Auto.

Around the city in daily driving it works flawlessly though. I'll just use Google maps for longer trips from now on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After playing around with it on a recent business trip, I can say that I prefer Google Maps when traveling. Waze auto-routes you down strange detours that I wasn't real comfortable with as an out-of-towner, but wouldn't have had a problem with if I was familiar with those roads.
I had google maps take me down a gravel road that wasn't wide enough for cars to cross paths going the opposite direction (not sure it would be classified as a road, looked more like a small pathway to an ax murderer's house) when we later found out there was a road little bit farther that was parallel, paved and wide enough for 2 way traffic.

Never tried waze so it may be worse than google maps, but faulty directions seems to plague every app at some point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had google maps take me down a gravel road that wasn't wide enough for cars to cross paths going the opposite direction (not sure it would be classified as a road, looked more like a small pathway to an ax murderer's house) when we later found out there was a road little bit farther that was parallel, paved and wide enough for 2 way traffic.

Never tried waze so it may be worse than google maps, but faulty directions seems to plague every app at some point.
Actually Waze has an option in settings to avoid "off roads"... to bad it doesn't seem reliable at all to me as of yet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts