Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble using WAZE in my 2020 CRV with my Android phone. When I left the dealer with my new CRV it was working great. Suddenly it works on my phone but but not on the screen in the car. Understand I'm not a super savvy cell phone user and I think something has changed on my phone during the recent phone upgrade.

When WAZE is working, I think its great. Hate to give up on it and go back to my old Garmin.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EXL 2WD
67 Posts
I haven't tried it with our 2020 CRV yet but I've had intermittent connectivity problems with my 2019 Accord; with that, sometimes removing it and then reconnecting/reinstalling it works...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having trouble using WAZE in my 2020 CRV with my Android phone. When I left the dealer with my new CRV it was working great. Suddenly it works on my phone but but not on the screen in the car. Understand I'm not a super savvy cell phone user and I think something has changed on my phone during the recent phone upgrade.

When WAZE is working, I think its great. Hate to give up on it and go back to my old Garmin.
Is regular google maps working, or is the issue with Waze only? Are you certain you have it connected to the correct USB port?

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more thing to check the location in settings on your phone. Without that being turned on you will have a screen of Waze but no movement.

·
Registered
865 Posts

I too loved waze until on and off glitches made it too frustrating to use. Google maps doesn't have as good notifications for speed traps but it's there now and it (almost) always works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,528 Posts
Does the CRV Run?

·
Super Moderator
2,528 Posts
So far I am not hearing the smartphone only? works just fine, the App to the car info system troublesome, so it has to be the car?

·
Registered
865 Posts
So far I am not hearing the smartphone only? works just fine, the App to the car info system troublesome, so it has to be the car?
Not necessarily. The way that Android auto works, there is a very small app on the HU in the car. This app simply displays what the phone tells it to and sends x/y coordinates of touch locations back to the phone. It also handles some light interface duties (gps, steering controls, etc). It is rarely if ever updated so it is designed to be very simple in its role and not try to do too much.

The phone does the bulk of the processing and interface work for Waze or any other Android auto app. Both waze and the underlying Android auto (or car play) phone apps are being constantly updated. Just like a lot of other app updates, rather than test apps, they they just publish them and let users test them and tell them what's going wrong. In my experience, Waze is particularly bad at making sure their apps work before launching them, especially with Android Auto interfaces.

Look at it this way, the car interface is constant and fixed and never changes (dealer updates aside). If something works and then stops working, what changed is something on the phone, not the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not necessarily. The way that Android auto works, there is a very small app on the HU in the car. This app simply displays what the phone tells it to and sends x/y coordinates of touch locations back to the phone. It also handles some light interface duties (gps, steering controls, etc). It is rarely if ever updated so it is designed to be very simple in its role and not try to do too much.

The phone does the bulk of the processing and interface work for Waze or any other Android auto app. Both waze and the underlying Android auto (or car play) phone apps are being constantly updated. Just like a lot of other app updates, rather than test apps, they they just publish them and let users test them and tell them what's going wrong. In my experience, Waze is particularly bad at making sure their apps work before launching them, especially with Android Auto interfaces.

Look at it this way, the car interface is constant and fixed and never changes (dealer updates aside). If something works and then stops working, what changed is something on the phone, not the car.

Correct. And I posted the link to a current Waze bug further up in this thread. . On my car it loses location ever so often and then reaquires the correct location. It doesn't on older versions of Waze so I think it's a bug in the newest (newer?) versions.

If this is your problem then the answer is to wait for the Waze fix, install an older version of Waze or use Google Maps. I don't think it's anything wrong with the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,528 Posts
The days I was given an Address in another State, hopped in the car, avoided tolls and highways, taken the Back roads, and at the Location ahead of time, then rely on Maps made of Paper, or even a smartphone, today you can not thrive without a phone look, we're on tape talk via a phone, we need to go to the local 7-Eleven, wait I need to punch it In its 500 ft from the house, heck can not even grocery shop need to find the frozen food aisle for Ice cream.

ll kidding aside Smartphone waze works, use it if Droid sucks so be it.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem few times in my 2017 CR-V and found out when the phone is in power saving mode Waze keep losing its last location. This could be true especially when it worked fine while coming from dealership and later not. This problem only exists in Waze when connected to Android auto. The Google maps works just fine with power saving turned on when connected from Android auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Try somewhere with good WiFi to update Honda link. My CRV 2018 has had that problem twice with other apps and doing this worked fine again

·
Registered
81 Posts

When the vehicle is running, hold down the volume button on the radio until the system says "Reboot system?". Say yes. Hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2018 model and I use Android Auto on every drive for both Waze and Audible. These connection difficulties used to make me pull my hair out. Over time and intense experimentation, I determined a series of steps that produce NEAR perfect connections each time. However, it is crucial that these steps be done precisely or it's back to the old mess.

1) Start car. "OK" thru initial console start screen. Get to the console connection screen that has the various entertainment options (you may get message that Smartphone not found). You may need to press Home to get there. Line item for Smart Phone should be blank.

2) Your android phone should be off at this point. Connect it to the appropriate USB port. WAIT.

3) There may be a series of messages while the phone connects.

4) Finally, you are returned to the Entertainment selection screen which has changed..."Smart Phone" entry has been replaced with "Android Auto". YAY!! Press "Android Auto". WAIT.

5) System will boot up the rest of Android Auto as well any other Apps that were running when last shut down, including Waze. You are now good to go.

6. IMPORTANT -- Do Not Drive Car in Reverse at Any Point During Initiation Sequence above. The backup camera will generally interfere with the initiation, particularly at the early stages.

7 Also Important. At end of drive, TURN OFF the Smart Phone input by using the Home button to return to the Entertainment selection screen. NOW you can turn off your car and be ready for next drive.

!Buena suerte!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts