Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Community Members,

We are very excited to announce that we are live from the new platform! We have been working hard over the past few months with leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you and your community. We have leveraged XenForo tools and features but added layers of modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and overall be more reliable. All of the valuable and informative content archived within your community is still here, even though the layout may look a bit different. Check out some of the new improvements:

Engage with your community wherever you are and on the go!
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and reliability are the foundation of this new platform.
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

Easy to use and navigate.
We have made the design clean and simple to focus on the areas the community uses the most and removed the clutter. The collapsed menu by your profile avatar will provide easy access to the most popular topics as well as Showcase and Gallery to view the latest photos from your fellow members.

Show off your own collection.
We have introduced “My Showcase” for you to build and display images of your own collection or wish list to the rest of the community. This is your opportunity to upload often and share your passion!

Feel the pulse of the community.
Your home page now features the most active topics, viewed photos, recommended reading and top contributing members. This will help keep you the most up to date on what’s happening in your community.

These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Please take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

~ Community Support

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Why is there not edit button for posts? We used to have this and it was great. It disappeared a couple days ago and does not yet appear to have returned.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
How do I find the "mark all read" option for the entire website?
The new navigation is going to take some getting used too, since it's so much different, and it appears the boards have been reorganized.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The new navigation is going to take some getting used too, since it's so much different, and it appears the boards have been reorganized.

Since the forum refresh seems to have set all threads to unread....I like the "mark all read: feature. It is the first thing I did when the forum came back on line... so as to clear out all threads so I can tell when new posts are made in threads.

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before they went live with it so I am already getting used to it. I have to admit that I am crazy about it. It feels so much faster and is easy to use after a brief learning curve. Have you checked out the dark mode yet? It is amazing! :)

Just click on the 3 vertical dots (hamburger) in the upper right-hand corner to select it.

Why is there not edit button for posts? We used to have this and it was great. It disappeared a couple days ago and does not yet appear to have returned.
Currently, the time limit for editing a post (for typos, etc.) is 5 minutes to help protect thread integrity. If you need an edit after that time limit, you will need to ask a moderator for assistance.

See that squiggly up arrow with the navigation buttons in the upper right-hand corner?

Click on that button and it will bring you here.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/whats-new/

On that page, you can choose "new posts" and below that on the right, you will see "mark forums read".

I realize it takes time to adjust to change, but I bet after a few days you will start to like it. :cool:

Since the forum refresh seems to have set all threads to unread....I like the "mark all read: feature. It is the first thing I did when the forum came back on line... so as to clear out all threads so I can tell when new posts are made in threads.
I have done that on forums that I work with as well.

- Cricket

·
Registered
515 Posts
ugh...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
No Offense Young Generation needs to understand simplicity wins complication confuses. saved the section I want and done

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Two things:

1. I just went into my signature to edit and change it, and found that it now limits me to 2 lines of text. I see others' signatures taking up considerably more. Is it a malfunction? What's up there?

2. Edit Function: Please explain what protecting thread integrity means, as a valid reason for the five minute limit.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
2. Edit Function: Please explain what protecting thread integrity means, as a valid reason for the five minute limit.
I post, someone responds, and I go back late and change my post so the responders post no longer makes sense.

And a more extreme case...I was the moderator for another forum a few years ago, and one of the members got really angry about something and started going back through ALL of his posts for the years he had been a member, and deleting the text of the posts.

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see the post numbers listed for each thread. If I want to refer members to a particular post under a certain thread how do I do that?
For now, you can access the URL for a specific post by clicking on the time/date at the top of the post.

Two things:

1. I just went into my signature to edit and change it, and found that it now limits me to 2 lines of text. I see others' signatures taking up considerably more. Is it a malfunction? What's up there?

1. Currently, signatures are limited to 2 lines Those who had longer signatures previously are "grandfathered" in so will remain until the signarue is updated.

2. @racoon had the perfect answer for this question directly above me.

I post, someone responds, and I go back late and change my post so the responders post no longer makes sense.

And a more extreme case...I was the moderator for another forum a few years ago, and one of the members got really angry about something and started going back through ALL of his posts for the years he had been a member, and deleting the text of the posts.
- Cricket

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Currently, the time limit for editing a post (for typos, etc.) is 5 minutes to help protect thread integrity. If you need an edit after that time limit, you will need to ask a moderator for assistance.
My experience is that in the first 5 minutes... you can freely edit and it does not show that the post has been edited. AFTER that 5 minutes though.. the Edit feature remains active and you can continue to edit.... but the forum will then show in the header that the post has been edited. I just edited a post I put up yesterday, for example... so if you intend a 5 minute only window.. that is not what is actually happening. By the way.. it was the same on the old forum too.. though the new forum does not show when it was edited. In the old forum... it time stamped the edit notation at the bottom of the post.

If you really want the 5 minute lockout.. you may have to adjust something. :)

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My experience is that in the first 5 minutes... you can freely edit and it does not show that the post has been edited. AFTER that 5 minutes though.. the Edit feature remains active and you can continue to edit.... but the forum will then show in the header that the post has been edited. I just edited a post I put up yesterday, for example... so if you intend a 5 minute only window.. that is not what is actually happening. By the way.. it was the same on the old forum too.. though the new forum does not show when it was edited. In the old forum... it time stamped the edit notation at the bottom of the post.

If you really want the 5 minute lockout.. you may have to adjust something. :)
Thank you for clarifying this. I double checked with the team and you are 100% correct.

It looks like the 5 minutes is in regards to how long before the post will show as edited.

We actually have a 24-hour time limit for editing.

Clearly, I need more coffee. :coffee:

- Cricket

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow this looks bad. Everything feels huge and there are huge gaps on both sides of the content and the posts are spaced out unnecessarily far. I like the old simpler format way nicer. It was easier to navigate and everything was more contained space wise so it felt like you had a lot more useful content with less wasted space in the old layout. This new format is very difficult to use because it feels like you can barely see anything on one page without having to scroll.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Lovin' the XenForo, guys. I posted in another thread, but I pointed out there that I work with XenForo daily as a part of my "day job" as a site and server administrator, so I'm very familiar with it.

I'm noticing your custom theme has a few elements missing from the standard XenForo--default features that are available for anyone who is logged in. You might ask your devs to look into that. (I can reply privately--this isn't the place for it.) One of them is multi-quote, which is a fantastic feature the way they've implemented it. (You can add quotes from any thread, not just the current thread, to your multi-quote and put it into a post.)

I can safely say that Tapatalk can be dumped--there is a lengthy thread on the XenForo support forum (including participations by yours truly) about how insecure Tapatalk is, how poorly they support their product, and the half-baked new features that never get bug fixes. They also left a backdoor for spammers to bypass all of our spam detection controls. Worst of all, their system killed any monetization we had in place. I banished them from our servers several years ago. It's not needed with XenForo, since it uses a "responsive" view that adapts to whichever screen size you are using. I know some of our members were used to it, but the security issues alone didn't sit well with me. XenForo 2.1 even opens up push notifications (if it's enabled on the admin side), although it does not work with iOS/Safari since they don't yet adhere to the notification method that's standard across the Internet.

Thanks for the upgrade! Now I won't cringe every time I visit. vB was an outdated, sluggish and inefficient beast. This makes the forum a pleasure to use now. Welcome to the 21st Century! ?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,578 Posts
OK @Wildcat <--- testing MENTION function if present

Do you know of an easy way to refer to a particular post (As I mention 2 posts up) ?

Also, in LIGHT mode, highlights are insufficiently 'pronounced'. (This on a 'puter) A little darker would be good.

Tried the Dark Mode all day yesterday, meh.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts