Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my tires rotated for first time on my 2017 CRV with 14,000 miles. About a week later, I left for vacation for three weeks. My car was parked outside in the Chicago winter for over three weeks. Since my return, I noticed that when I am braking especially at high speeds, there is a weird kind of flapping sound as the car decelerates, like it’s going through rough pavement. Has anyone experienced this? I never had that problem in twwo years. The braking has always been smooth.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Look at the rotor and check for rust. After sitting for 3 weeks outside in the winter rust has probably developed on the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yep I have had that same sound when the vehicle has been washed and then not driven for a couple of days. As Hankman said it's rust on the rotors. After I drive it for several minutes in traffic (constant braking) the rust is rubbed off and the brakes return to normal.

Rob

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
In my perception that is a scraping sound, not flapping. I have no ideas about what that could be. Maybe because you let the car sit so long you are hearing the flat spots from the tires taking a set after sitting. They need to warm up well a few times for that to go away.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am also going with flat spots. When it is cold they take longer to go away, so getting rid of 3 weeks in a Chicago winter could take a while. Don't forget that a 10 degree drop in ambient temperature is equal to a 1 pound drop in tire pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts