Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own 2017 Cr-V Ex-L AWD which was bought in mid March.

I live in Camp Hill PA, and usually commute for about a mile for work in the city. I've been gathering data from the last trip economy in trip computer and I seem to be averaging about 20 mpg in City. I suspect this could be due to the hilly terrain I drive in.

On the contrary I got a freaking 39 MPG on high way, the drive was for about 150 miles and following the speed limit of 65. I could probably have got 40+ MPG if I drove at 60.

Is anyone else observing this weird trend? Any suggestions on improving the city economy?

(I don't use ECON mode)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you're driving a mile to work, the engine never gets a chance to warm up and warm up the other fluids and greases in your car. 20 MPG is not bad for that kind of driving. The highway mileage is the most efficient temperature and everything is warm and moves easier. It's really not so weird.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
305 Posts
Hi,

I own 2017 Cr-V Ex-L AWD which was bought in mid March.

I live in Camp Hill PA, and usually commute for about a mile for work in the city. I've been gathering data from the last trip economy in trip computer and I seem to be averaging about 20 mpg in City. I suspect this could be due to the hilly terrain I drive in.

On the contrary I got a freaking 39 MPG on high way, the drive was for about 150 miles and following the speed limit of 65. I could probably have got 40+ MPG if I drove at 60.

Is anyone else observing this weird trend? Any suggestions on improving the city economy?

(I don't use ECON mode)
There is nothing to improve. You have an excellent MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for response fellas. This is my first car, so I was concerned when there is a huge variation in the predicted MPG by Honda and the MPG i get. I suspected to had to something with the sort of distance and terrain I drive in city. Thanks for confirming it. Enjoy your CR-V too.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it's moderate traffic you will get a draft from other cars. If it's around around 45-70F outside temps, the grill shutters close, more aerodynamic and engine can run hot and extra lean, which is more efficient. If you stay at low throttle positions, the 1.5T get economy like a 1.5L engine. Turbocharge effectively gives you variable displacement and can nearly double the size of the engine so to speak.

My Civic with 1.5T can approach 50mpg on the highway at 65mph. I wish they offered the 1.0T 3 cylinder here like European Civics. Could get around 55-60mpg hwy I suspect at 65mph. I anticipate the Fit will get that engine in 2019.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts