Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would something like this be covered by insurance/warranty? We leased with the plan of buying this crv since we weren't sure if the oils dilution is gonna be a problem again(came from 2017, and thank fully it's not!
I'm confused to how the paint chipped like this tho, seems like someone just peeled it off? In the mean time seems like baremetal is showing is there anyway to preclvent rusting?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ahh ok cool, from my experience rock chips usually leave a streak of sorts and never this deep! Maybe I've just been lucky all these time xD

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,320 Posts
Would something like this be covered by insurance/warranty? We leased with the plan of buying this crv since we weren't sure if the oils dilution is gonna be a problem again(came from 2017, and thank fully it's not!
I'm confused to how the paint chipped like this tho, seems like someone just peeled it off? In the mean time seems like baremetal is showing is there anyway to preclvent rusting?
Clearly, this is an impact chip. You can even see that whatever impacted it (probably a small pebble kicked up) also skimmed on departure and left a small scrape on the clearcoat as it departed. It's possible someone walking by your vehicle might have smacked it with something they were carrying or wearing, as where it impacted would not easily dent by something like that (whereas flat side body panels would dent and probably not chip).

The clearcoat scrape will buff out easily. The chip though.. that has to be carefully touched up, in multiple layering to rebuild the lost paint to be flush with the OEM paint surface. You could do that yourself if you know how, and with the proper touchup kit, or you can simply have it done by a pro.

Insurance would cover it probably, if your deductible is low enough... but forget about any sort of warranty claim. Read your warranty booklet.... Honda only covers paint defects due to manufacturing, and you are not going to get anyone to agree with you at Honda that that chip is a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Ahh ok cool, from my experience rock chips usually leave a streak of sorts and never this deep! Maybe I've just been lucky all these time xD
It all depends on what impacts, how, and at what angle. A projectile (small pebble, or such) direct impact that is essentially perpendicular to the painted surface will usually knock a chip of paint out in my experience.

Honestly, I have not owned a vehicle in the last 20 years, where I did not pick up at least one chip in hood paint during the years I owned the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clearcoat scrape will buff out easily. The chip though.. that has to be carefully touched up, in multiple layering to rebuild the lost paint to be flush with the OEM paint surface. You could do that yourself if you know how, and with the proper touchup kit, or you can simply have it done by a pro.
yeah ive never had a chip that went through up to the bare metal! While it doesn't bother me much my fear would be it might start to rust? Or will it not rust?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,250 Posts
yeah ive never had a chip that went through up to the bare metal! While it doesn't bother me much my fear would be it might start to rust? Or will it not rust?
If you clean and use a touch up or the colorchip i said then no. If not you’ll see it eventually turn more red from the elements unless you iron x it regularly

·
Registered
370 Posts
I woukd just give it a quick touchup with a matching Honda touchup stick. This is quite normal and I would not fret over it nor spend much time repairing it.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If the undercoat that Honda applies to the base metal before prime/paint/clearcoat is still intact, I doubt you will see rust there unless you live where they apply salt or other compounds to your roads in winter.

But if it were me, in the short term, I would seal the chip with a clearcoat touchup pen, and then look at either ignoring it for life, or.. when it is warm and sunny in summer.. do the paint repair then. :)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,900 Posts
I would ALWAYS repair a chip like that ASAP to prevent rust. Then (when the weather warms) I would do a little sanding/polishing to smooth out the blob of paint that inevitably occurs.

Many repair kits, among them, Dr Colorchip, Paintscratch.com, AutoTouchUp.com, or DupliColor, include primers, colors, and clearcoat..and instructions.

·
The Enforcer
2,794 Posts
Given the size of the wetted area of the front of the CR-V. stone chips like this are inevitable.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
261 Posts
Many repair kits, among them, Dr Colorchip, Paintscratch.com, AutoTouchUp.com, or DupliColor, include primers, colors, and clearcoat..and instructions.
Loads of vids on You Tube showing these kits in action. I did three chip repairs last year and would be hard pressed to find them again.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,479 Posts
chips can not be avoided when you travel on a road, the car, truck dumpster in front, kicking a rock up, or the bed is just losing its load.

What you can do is prevent by a hood shield to deflect air but a rock will still penetrate the zone. You can repair by cleaning, and touch up

the paint pens sold will do all that, clean, paint, protect. I do not worry bout painting the hood it will not match the same paint to the TEE. for one chip, now you will have a chip later

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMO , while the newer paints are not the best Honda seems to below average in quality and to make it more interesting they charge almost 400$ for certain colors now.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loads of vids on You Tube showing these kits in action. I did three chip repairs last year and would be hard pressed to find them again.
aside from doing a repair is there any sealant that i could use to help prevent rusting for the meantime? will waxing it over provide some sort of seal? and is there like a sheet somewhere where i could find the color codes?

·
The Enforcer
2,794 Posts
Colour code to your car should be inside the door jamb.

Reactions: bbnn

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,900 Posts
Wax will not do anything for protection. Buy a kit, at least prime and paint it for now.

Clearcoat can be applied when it is warmer, after you put some extra coats of 'color' on it to make the repair 'proud' of the surface.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wax will not do anything for protection. Buy a kit, at least prime and paint it for now.

Clearcoat can be applied when it is warmer, after you put some extra coats of 'color' on it to make the repair 'proud' of the surface.

any brand you guys recommend? dr colorchip seems to be expensive, especially for me since I'll probably screw it up... looking at amazon, the oem touch up pen, a lot of people complain that it doesn't match. also found touchup direct which is 19 bucks, but not sure if they re good or not, at least they have the color code in stock. advance auto parts/autozone does not have it in stock unfortuantely

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,900 Posts
Paintscratch.com and automotivetouchup.com send a metallic 'sample card' that you can compare to your car's paint...if it doesn't match to your stisfaction they will re-do it.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Paintscratch.com and automotivetouchup.com send a metallic 'sample card' that you can compare to your car's paint...if it doesn't match to your stisfaction they will re-do it.
either of these companies would indeed be a good choice.

Some Honda paint finishes (those with pearl finish) are tri-coat.. and you need to be sure to go with a tri-coat kit if that is the case. BaseCoat/MidCoat (ie: Pearl for Hondas)/ClearCoat is the tricoat type kit.

When you choose a supplier and place your order, if your color selection is one that requires tri-coat process, they will ship you a three part kit.

Per automotivetouchup.com:

Tri-coat instructions
If you ordered one color but received two bottles labeled "groundcoat" and "midcoat". This happens in some infrequent scenarios where your color can't be replicated with a single color. So just use the groundcoat first, then use the midcoat on top of that afterwards! For both the groundcoat and midcoat, apply one coat at a time until you achieve the pearl effect of the factory color.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts