Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,320 Posts
any brand you guys recommend? dr colorchip seems to be expensive, especially for me since I'll probably screw it up... looking at amazon, the oem touch up pen, a lot of people complain that it doesn't match. also found touchup direct which is 19 bucks, but not sure if they re good or not, at least they have the color code in stock. advance auto parts/autozone does not have it in stock unfortuantely
Not sure if yours is a pearl finish. If it is...... cutting to the chase here... RUN.. run quickly away from Honda's touchup kits if you have a pearl finish. They simply do not work well on any Honda finish that is a Pearl finish.

See here for a description of a tri-coat paint finish. https://www.automotivetouchup.com/images/paint-layer-diagram-tricoat1.pdf

As for paint prices, you get what you pay for. A good kit, tri-coat or dual layer, paint repair will run you about $50, give or take. I advise on NOT skimping on nickels in the case of a touchup paint kit.

Your biggest decision really will be "pen", "brush bottle", or "aerosol". For your chip, pens would work best, but if you need them later for something more serious, you may be out of luck. Personally, I would go with the small "brush bottle" and I would use something like this to apply the paint in your case. Then you have the remaining paint bottles in the kit for your next nick or chip. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've touched up nicks on my 2016 obsidian blue pearl and my wife's 2012 basque red pearl II using the OEM paint no problem-- perfect blend... you have to shake it up real well or it won't blend... straight up and down for at least 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not sure if yours is a pearl finish. If it is...... cutting to the chase here... RUN.. run quickly away from Honda's touchup kits if you have a pearl finish. They simply do not work well on any Honda finish that is a Pearl finish.

See here for a description of a tri-coat paint finish. https://www.automotivetouchup.com/images/paint-layer-diagram-tricoat1.pdf

As for paint prices, you get what you pay for. A good kit, tri-coat or dual layer, paint repair will run you about $50, give or take. I advise on NOT skimping on nickels in the case of a touchup paint kit.

Your biggest decision really will be "pen", "brush bottle", or "aerosol". For your chip, pens would work best, but if you need them later for something more serious, you may be out of luck. Personally, I would go with the small "brush bottle" and I would use something like this to apply the paint in your case. Then you have the remaining paint bottles in the kit for your next nick or chip. :)
LOL DUH i forgot to mention my color its Lunar Silver Metallic:NH-830M. yah i would prefer brush, I've used pen paints before on plastic models, i feel like those are harder to control! i will double-check on our lease cause im petty sure, since we leased with honda financing, they gave us a no worry thing where chips, damaged rims, would be no problem or something! my only concern about spending 50-60 bucks is if i screw it up, it'll just look as bad as a 20 dollar one....

I've touched up nicks on my 2016 obsidian blue pearl and my wife's 2012 basque red pearl II using the OEM paint no problem-- perfect blend... you have to shake it up real well or it won't blend... straight up and down for at least 30 seconds.
from what I've read on amazon reviews, at least the lunar silver metallic one, the blend is slightly off where the "brightness" of the color is too much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would something like this be covered by insurance/warranty? We leased with the plan of buying this crv since we weren't sure if the oils dilution is gonna be a problem again(came from 2017, and thank fully it's not!
I'm confused to how the paint chipped like this tho, seems like someone just peeled it off? In the mean time seems like baremetal is showing is there anyway to preclvent rusting?
Like everyone else commented, definitely looks like a road chip from a rock........very hard to avoid when on the highway, due to travel speed. I would get some touch up paint and fill it in. I can't tell where your chip is located. I had a clear bra installed on my '18 CR-V when I purchased it brand new. The protected areas are the front hood, front fascia, bumper, headlight lenses, fog light lenses and side mirrors. Should a rock hit these areas, chances of paint damage are minimal or not at all. The first month I had it installed, my front hood received a hit with a rock that ripped the clear bra....about a 2 inch tear. I remember hearing the rock hit the car on the freeway. The clear bra was covered by a warranty through the installer. He removed the damaged clear bra section (to install a new bra piece) and to my surprise, there was no damage what so ever to the hood or paint. To me, it was well worth the $875 investment cost of the bra.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX FWD
8 Posts
Seems like an avg everyday rock chip.
Can get them in the first mile or the 100,000th mile

if you want a chip free car it should be xpel’d before u take delivery.

if it bothers you go order a “dr colorchip” kit
Yep, typical road hazard. Would one of the plastic hood-mounted bug deflectors prevented this? (Thinking of getting one for my '20.)

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,320 Posts
Yep, typical road hazard. Would one of the plastic hood-mounted bug deflectors prevented this? (Thinking of getting one for my '20.)
I have seen some vehicles around here that have had a dealer applied thin transparent plastic film to the front leading surface of their hood. It seems that would be more effective than the classic bug deflector, as it will protect the paint from impact induced chipping. But I have no personal knowledge as to how effective these are.

Thing is, you cannot completely wrap your vehicle in complete protection from small road hazards, which are generally kicked up by other vehicles and can impact many different parts of your vehicle. So... any attempt will always be a bit of a crap shoot.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts