Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
DW-1 spec fluid as well as the VPS conditioner is good stuff and WILL NOT void vehicle warranty ;) Changing it every 15 to 30k is good to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, since changing the inline filter and doing a fluid dump-and-fill, I've driven the car on two highway trips of about 100 or so miles. I've been careful to observe the very specific range of running in fifth gear, around 1500 RPM. I've noticed one very subtle stutter, not like the multiple, violent jerking motions it exhibited the first time. At this point, I'm going to call it good, unless it starts to reoccur again.

Reading up on the fluid pressure switches, seems like those are the fix for a transmission that is reluctant to shift, or exhibiting erratic shifting behavior. I don't think these are my issue, as the car is up and downshifting with no problems whatsoever.

I've restocked my shelf with a few spare filters and a case of fluid, and will work in a filter replacement when I do my 30k mile fluid dumps. Since this is my wife's car, and she's gone from being a travelling nurse to a telemedicine nurse, the car will be used much less often, so this might be a lifetime transmission maintenance supply!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Gone in 60 for the link. I only found the "internal filter" on the rockauto site. I will not have access to the car until April so I can't look at it in person for the external filter now. I will definitely change the ATF with Honda fluid and will try the O/D button trick also. I will disconnect the battery too to reset the PCM just in case but easy fixes are not my norm.:(

·
Registered
2009 CR-V LX Fwd
104 Posts
As I mentioned in my earlier post.

Filter:
Aftermarket part number: ATP B452 , BECK/ARNLEY 0440434
I use the ATP available on RockAuto.com but you have to search for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which Honda tranny fluid do you recommend for AWD? I found HCF-2 and DW-1. Sounds like I'll need 3+ quarts.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V LX Fwd
104 Posts
You need DW-1.
The HCF-2 is for a CVT for the 2015 and beyond CRVs
I normally put 3 quarts in mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have 3 CRVs, '07, '08 and an '01. Do you know if the first gen has an inline tranny filter as well. I'm going to change the fluid in all 3. If so is it the same part number?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Post is getting old, but I wanted to follow up on this. Might not be a transmission issue after all. I had been Googling CRV stumbling issues in 5th gear, around 1500 RPM, and someone reported that one of their spark plugs had gone bad.

I replaced my spark plugs at 100K miles with OEM NGK plugs and didn't give them a second thought. Yesterday, I was doing a 125k mile oil change, and decided to pull the plugs to see what they looked like with 25k miles on them. I was surprised to see that the points on the ends of the electrodes had worn down to a flat, stubby end, which opened the gap up to over double what it should be.

I'm thinking that I got a set of knock-off NGK spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I'm thinking that I got a set of knock-off NGK spark plugs.
Where did you buy them at? I'm wary of anything from Amazon or eBay as they are both known to have counterfeit parts. NGKs purchased from a major auto parts chain will be the correct item, and same with Rock Auto (who ships direct from distributors). I agree--that is way too much wear for 25,000 miles. I've run standard plugs in my '97 for 75,000 miles. The electrodes got rounded off and the gap was slightly more than ideal, but never bad enough that the engine didn't run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
:unsure:
I'm sure it was Amazon or Ebay, but it was in May of 2019 based on my maintenance records (we didn't do much driving in 2020). I can't find it in my purchase history on either, unfortunately, but it was definitely one or the other.

I ordered a replacement set from RockAuto.com, and will swap them as soon as they arrive. I did buy a pair of NGKs from Ebay for my Triumph Bonneville around then as well...

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The real kicker is that you could get legit plugs or fakes from either place, and never know it. Your Triumph plugs could be perfectly fine.

eBay's history isn't so good since they don't really keep history in your account all that long, but my Amazon history goes back at least a decade. (And I need history more than ever now, as I'm likely to order something twice if I'm not careful! 😁)

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
527 Posts
I've had same experience as Wildcat with ebay and Amazon. Not worth taking the chance for the few bucks you save.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To illustrate, I just got the new plugs last night. Take a look at the new one compared with the worn plug, which came in a Honda box, and looked identical to the real ones that I pulled out at 100k miles. The 100k originals looked almost as good as new, just a little brown. This worn plug has just 25k miles. No wonder the car was stuttering!
Light Coil spring Cable Coil Gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

2010 LX 2WD. 120k miles, has always run flawlessly, transmission fluid dump/fill with Honda brand ATF every 30k miles, which changes out about 3.5 quarts each time (counting room for a small external cooler that was installed when the car was new).

A few days ago, cruising at about 50 mph, at about 1500 rpm, the car started bucking a bit. It didn't feel like the engine. Due to the severity of what I would describe as a jolting feeling, it felt like the transmission was slipping in and out.

Didn't really know what to do, cycled the OD button on and off a few times on the shift lever. Each time, the car downshifted and rpm went up as it should. Cycling back to the normal OD on position, the car stopped exhibiting the problem and has been operating normally for the past few days since.

During the episode, the "D" indicator light on the dash stayed solid, and the engine light did not come on. Fluid looks red and normal, and is at normal level, with no leaks. Other than this incident, the transmission shifts normally and has never exhibited any problems before or since.

Has anybody had this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I have this problem too!!! it only shows up at 1500 RPM if you speed up it goes away and if you slow it goes away I have had this problem for 7-8 years now and I have no Idea what it is..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts