Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined community months ago after owning my 97 CRV for a short while, this is my first post and in my opinion spent an appropriate amount of time searching other threads before posting. The vehicle started up fine and drove ten feet to where, 2 hours later it would not start and now sits.
Symptoms:
-Key fully turns in tumbler
-Dash lights come on, no other sound is heard beside the fuel pump
-No clicking starter seems to not engage

What I know for sure:
-Battery is at full charge
-Seems to act as if there is a security lock out

Other:
-Steering wheel lock is not engaged
-Does not shift with key turned to "on" and brake pressed

I tried:
  • Leaving the battery fully disconnected for a few hours
  • Using the keyless entry to lock and unlock the doors
  • Use shift override to put shifter in neutral and try to start

I feel this could be some kind of security lock out, or gear selector lock out. I am going to continue searching threads on "97 wont start" and google searches and hope to get some good feedback as I feel this should be a quick fix. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you shift into neutral its the same the starter is quiet? I can not recall in the 1st Gen if it has a Green Key Symbol on the dash when you turn the key in the on Position before starting. Was anything done before this happened? Do you have a Voltmeter? Have you checked for voltage at the starter? On the small terminal that goes to the solenoid for voltage while you crank the engine? The starter interlock switch that won't allow you to shift into neutral when you depress the brake pedal might be a separate problem. Does the brake lights work or at least one of them? Not to worry we'll get you help to get her back on the road. Let me know.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,581 Posts
If it's an automatic, do your brakes lights work when you pressure the pedal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the replies I have had only a chance to read over them and ponder my course of action. Tomorrow is Sunday and I will have the entire morning and afternoon to start troubleshooting (mountain time) and I will detail my steps...in a manner that does not flood this feed with messages of course. If you are able please check in!

Thanks, Dustin.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
From your symptoms its the starter or the terminal that connects to the solenoid of the starter. Do you have a booster pack? If so try to jump it see if she starts. When using the booster clip the negative terminal of the booster to the engine block fully seated. Also check the ground cables that goes to the engine block & body. Be sure that the terminal that goes into the solenoid of the starter is tightnnot loose.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
There is a bare grounding strap from the starter to the motor and sometimes that wire gets completely corroded and breaks.
You could also try tapping the starter with a hammer or similar and see if that gets it going. If so, that method will work for awhile but usually means the starter needs rebuilding or replacement.
Try ofto888man's suggestion using a booster pack and the grounding wire that goes from the battery to the frame the radiator mounts to and also on that same frame to the engine, near the radiator..

Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is embarrassing I hit the starter with my super handy PDR rubber dent hammer...viola! Started...drove around the block...parked it back where it belongs, shut it down and it failed to immediately restart. Another tap tap tap and it started up no problem, so it is thankfully just a bad starter and not something worse. I would have not let myself overthink it if the steering lock didnt stop engaging at the same time which yes made me have great fears. Thank you everyone as alot of valuable information came my way that could prove useful in the future for myself or for someone else.

I have one last question in regards to this...do I bother having the starter rebuilt or go brand new? (Could be original 240000km)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Thanks for letting us know! Buffalo4 is right on the money! I'm not sure if you can get them new. As long as you get a high quality reman you should be good. 240,000 kms. Where are you located? It could be the Original starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada. Curious though of this location based inquiry, obviously not worried or I wouldnt have given the information lol. Definitely going to first check all my connections and then look into DIY instructions and kits. Plenty of scrap yards around should I make an attempt and fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts