Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What makes a subcompact crossover?
That’s a question with many different answers, depending on who is asked. But for us, it means high-riding hatchbacks with optional all-wheel drive, measuring less than 170 inches in overall length. Sorry Kia Soul, Subaru Crosstrek and Hyundai Tucson, you don’t quite cut it.

But this year there has been a huge influx of subcompact crossovers. Four new entries have joined the trio of existing models, making the field a lucky seven. First, there are the veterans, the Nissan Juke, the refreshed Mitsubishi Outlander and the somewhat new to us Chevrolet Trax. Taking them on in hopes of being king of the baby crossovers are the new comers, the Honda HR-V, Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade and Mazda CX-3.

After a week of evaluating, deliberating and contemplating, the scores were added up and a winner emerged. Some of the results may be surprising.

Read more about What’s the Best Subcompact Crossover? at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The HRV is lower to the ground than the CRV, but it's not a bad vehicle. I would choose it over the Fit which it shares a platform. Same thing with the Mazda. The crossovers are much more practical and flexible than cars.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Something I might consider in the future, as I certainly don’t need anything bigger than the CRV. The HRV is the same size as the original Gen.1 CRV, and I never found it too small. And it only had 126 HP

Thankfully I won’t miss the Honda reliability & great gas mileage :cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think the HRV and the Mitsu RVR are the best bang for the buck. Good utility value, decent storage, awd (mitsu even has a awd lock).
I find the jeep renegade interesting but the pricing seems RIDICULOUS !!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The HRV is a very attractive vehicle. I went and checked one out and it has a lot of room too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The HRV is a very attractive vehicle. I went and checked one out and it has a lot of room too.
I agree, lot of passenger and cargo room. The engine could use a bit more torque / hp though.
What makes me sad is one of the pioneers of this segment the suzuki sx4 is no longer sold in north america ! thanks to their useless sales and marketing. I parked my sx4 beside a renegade at work today and it looks like my little suzuki has more room than the chunky renegade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts