Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
A very simple solution is to place the dipstick end flat on a clean paper towel. The oil level becomes very evident.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
2017 CRV Ex-L with Nav. I have the orange tipped dipstick. Almost impossible to read it with new full synthetic oil. I have never seen a dipstick in 50 years as bad as this one. Only a little better as the oil ages & gets darker. It is as if someone at Honda had a bright idea on paper & never tested it. Yellow might be a little better since it is a lighter color but it might also be closer to the color of new oil. The customer becomes the guinea pig. If someone had used the orange tipped dipstick just one time to check the oil they would have known the problem.
Exactly. Another lame brain idea from the engineers at Honda. Sometimes I wonder if so many engineers make changes to justify their jogs/existence with the company. This particular change is stupid, for sure. The older, traditional, dipsticks were far easier to read. Perhaps there are after market ones?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I solved the problem for me of not being able to check the oil accurately. I just quit checking it. I get the oil changed every 7500 miles and don't worry about it. I had the oil dilution issue around 30K and I quit worrying about that too. I have 60K on it and plane to keep it one more year. I have not had to add oil between changes in 40 years.
For us, putting on 7500k miles is about right for a years driving, and I got 4 free oil changes from the dealer when I purchased the car. I'm good for another 4 years of free oil changes. Not bad, I say.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I got to correct you on one thing. They use to have two dipsticks, one in the engine bay where we would always look for it, but they change it to the single one. It's that humanoid looking thing behind the wheel!!! 😂🤣
And where I live, there are a lot of dipsticks behind the wheel. 🤣

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Don't worry - the oil level will be easier to see as it creeps above the orange plastic piece between oil changes - if you are one of the many CRV owners experiencing oil dilution. But that's a different thread. :)
From those who I know that own a CR-V, none of them have mentioned the issue. Hope I follow in their footsteps, so to speak.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Why go to a dealer for an oil change? DIY, it's easy.
The home ownership association where I live do not allow us to work on our cars in the driveway. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. Hmmm 🤔, since they said driveway, perhaps it's OK if I changed the oil on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I checked the oil level for the first time yesterday. My CR-V is brand new with just 136 miles on it. Much to my surprise, I pulled out the dipstick and just about laughed my head off. What has happened to the traditional dipstick with the big flat bar that makes seeing the level so easy? Now these bright engineers have developed one with a bit of yellow plastic on the end with two small holes. I don't know about you, but how on earth can one see a proper level on that thing? Maybe there are those out there that are OK with it. But really, why can't they just stay with what works and is easy to see the oil level at a glance.
Hi, yes that yellow bit on the end is what Mercedes Benz did 25 years ago..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I checked the oil level for the first time yesterday. My CR-V is brand new with just 136 miles on it. Much to my surprise, I pulled out the dipstick and just about laughed my head off. What has happened to the traditional dipstick with the big flat bar that makes seeing the level so easy? Now these bright engineers have developed one with a bit of yellow plastic on the end with two small holes. I don't know about you, but how on earth can one see a proper level on that thing? Maybe there are those out there that are OK with it. But really, why can't they just stay with what works and is easy to see the oil level at a glance.
The bottom hole will be filled and both will be over filled. What is so difficult?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The bottom hole will be filled and both will be over filled. What is so difficult?
Okay, reading a dipstick can be difficult at times. We all don't have a 21 year old's eyes anymore and lighting isn't always perfect. Mazda Miata's dipsticks are very difficult to read, and clean Mobile1 doesn't contrast well.

Try this, lay a paper towel on your hand, roll the dipstick over the towel and read the wet spot, this is of a much higher contrast. I get to the point where I don't check the oil when I have just changed it because I know it is to factory specifications, but that is lazy. Oil is the life's blood in your engine. Do it correctly or have it done, correctly. Sorry about the insensitive answer above.
Jerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Okay, reading a dipstick can be difficult at times. We all don't have a 21 year old's eyes anymore and lighting isn't always perfect. Mazda Miata's dipsticks are very difficult to read, and clean Mobile1 doesn't contrast well.

Try this, lay a paper towel on your hand, roll the dipstick over the towel and read the wet spot, this is of a much higher contrast. I get to the point where I don't check the oil when I have just changed it because I know it is to factory specifications, but that is lazy. Oil is the life's blood in your engine. Do it correctly or have it done, correctly. Sorry about the insensitive answer above.
Jerry

Jerry
So sign of being insensitive at all. That's simply what happens as we age. I walk in your shoes. I like your idea of the paper towel. I will use that method next time I check the oil. Excellent idea. Thanks Jerry.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
So sign of being insensitive at all. That's simply what happens as we age. I walk in your shoes. I like your idea of the paper towel. I will use that method next time I check the oil. Excellent idea. Thanks Jerry.
As a member of the "old eyes" group... what I do is have a penlight with me when I check and shine it on the end of the stick when I pull it out to check level.

Yep.. I keep a small LED white light penlight in my pocket.... because.. "old eyes" :) Bright focused lighting is the salvation for "old eyes" and I find myself doing it with a range of things these days.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,457 Posts
Yep.. I keep a small LED white light penlight in my pocket....
LOL. It took me YEARS to reliably remember that my smartphone included a flashlight...and that I could make it brighter easily! o_O:giggle::giggle:

41 - 53 of 53 Posts