Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What a dipstick!

13K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  Carbuff2 
#1 ·
I checked the oil level for the first time yesterday. My CR-V is brand new with just 136 miles on it. Much to my surprise, I pulled out the dipstick and just about laughed my head off. What has happened to the traditional dipstick with the big flat bar that makes seeing the level so easy? Now these bright engineers have developed one with a bit of yellow plastic on the end with two small holes. I don't know about you, but how on earth can one see a proper level on that thing? Maybe there are those out there that are OK with it. But really, why can't they just stay with what works and is easy to see the oil level at a glance.

#2 ·
but how on earth can one see a proper level on that thing?
That's what the holes are for. Hold it up to light. If oil is covering both, you're good. If oil is covering the bottom one but not the top, you're still ok. If you can see through both, add oil.

#3 ·
When the Gen5 first came out many owners had trouble reading oil level on the orange dipstick, so you are not alone. ;)

There are topics about it somewhere here.

#4 · (Edited)
Keep checking frequently, the oil will get darker rather quickly, making the oil level easier to see on the dipstick.

A light tap or two with a hammer converts the dipstick to old school.

#12 ·
Why? Because engineers are not happy unless they can tinker with everything, and even change things that don't need to. Case in point . . . the dipstick. I worked with engineers, and believe me, some can be a real pain in the behind. They tweek and fuss with the most minute things.

#9 ·
......and only on the 1.5L, not the 2.4L, from what I understand.

#15 ·
Thank goodness for engineers.....that 1979 Honda Civic CVCC was a Flintstones vehicle 40 years ago compared to our '17 CRV. I'm presuming that's due largely to engineers.

Here's what I find on both our RAV4 and CRV regarding checking the oil level. There is a certain amount of oil surface tension between the side of the dipstick tube and the dipstick itself. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off AND leave it out for say a minute or so. Check the brake fluid level the washer fluid whatever for a minute or so. During that minute or so more oil in the tube will drain down, leaving less on the sides of the dipstick, making it easier to see the oil level on the dipstick.

Reactions: williamsji
#16 ·
Thank goodness for engineers.....that 1979 Honda Civic CVCC was a Flintstones vehicle 40 years ago compared to our '17 CRV. I'm presuming that's due largely to engineers.
heh.. yeah.... 40 years has moved design, features, and capabilities orders of magnitude forward in terms of Civic design. (y) (y)

1979 Civic (Japan market version too, with extra features):

2020 Civic:

Order of magnitude difference in price too.. but that is true for even things like a carton of milk too. :p

Personally, I will take the 2020 over the 1979.. any day. :)

#17 ·
I loved our little '79 dark metallic green 3 door Civic hatch back. Our oldest son arrived in '80, the second in '83 so we traded the Civic in for a Dodge 3/4 ton conversion window van. At that time, a conversion van was the only way to family travel, when you couldn't fly.

#25 ·
Oh my, you may have offended some forum members that are engineers. :( Think about what you said.

#32 ·
Yes, that was a bit callus of me, and I apologize. Sometimes the horrors of our past come to life. I should have mentioned that bad engineers are in the minority, as I pointed out to an engineer that replied. In all lines of work, you have those that are good and bad at what they do. The particular engineer from the example I pointed out was let go. He created a nightmare with the project in question.

#28 ·
Like I said way back in post #4.......check frequently, and as the oil somewhat quickly darkens, it becomes easier to read/see on the orange monster.👍

#37 ·
2017 CRV Ex-L with Nav. I have the orange tipped dipstick. Almost impossible to read it with new full synthetic oil. I have never seen a dipstick in 50 years as bad as this one. Only a little better as the oil ages & gets darker. It is as if someone at Honda had a bright idea on paper & never tested it. Yellow might be a little better since it is a lighter color but it might also be closer to the color of new oil. The customer becomes the guinea pig. If someone had used the orange tipped dipstick just one time to check the oil they would have known the problem.

#42 ·
Exactly. Another lame brain idea from the engineers at Honda. Sometimes I wonder if so many engineers make changes to justify their jogs/existence with the company. This particular change is stupid, for sure. The older, traditional, dipsticks were far easier to read. Perhaps there are after market ones?

#39 ·
I solved the problem for me of not being able to check the oil accurately. I just quit checking it. I get the oil changed every 7500 miles and don't worry about it. I had the oil dilution issue around 30K and I quit worrying about that too. I have 60K on it and plane to keep it one more year. I have not had to add oil between changes in 40 years.

#40 ·
I checked the oil level for the first time yesterday. My CR-V is brand new with just 136 miles on it. Much to my surprise, I pulled out the dipstick and just about laughed my head off. What has happened to the traditional dipstick with the big flat bar that makes seeing the level so easy? Now these bright engineers have developed one with a bit of yellow plastic on the end with two small holes. I don't know about you, but how on earth can one see a proper level on that thing? Maybe there are those out there that are OK with it. But really, why can't they just stay with what works and is easy to see the oil level at a glance.
[/
Sounds like it’s time for reading glasses. 🤓

#50 ·
Okay, reading a dipstick can be difficult at times. We all don't have a 21 year old's eyes anymore and lighting isn't always perfect. Mazda Miata's dipsticks are very difficult to read, and clean Mobile1 doesn't contrast well.

Try this, lay a paper towel on your hand, roll the dipstick over the towel and read the wet spot, this is of a much higher contrast. I get to the point where I don't check the oil when I have just changed it because I know it is to factory specifications, but that is lazy. Oil is the life's blood in your engine. Do it correctly or have it done, correctly. Sorry about the insensitive answer above.
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.