Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading posts in this forum and notice that many persons had no choice in the add-ons that the dealer charged for their CRV. I'm not talking about the options that were manufacture installed, I am thinking about the dealer installed stuff. I'm particularly interested in things like paint protection, fabric protection, security etching, pin-striping, etc. Did you have to pay for those? It would also be interesting to hear about the OEM stuff added too; I know these things are a big profit center for dealers. They can raise the sticker price over the MSRP by several thousands of dollars and then, they discount the add-ons and the purchaser still winds up paying MSRP or close. I know for mine, there was a $299 charge for some security stickers with numbers that were placed on door frames and other parts of the CRV's frame. They said they could use the numbers to track the car back to its owner. Really?! I refused to pay. The stickers are still on the car but I guess the number was not reported.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most common are wheel locks ($99), Tire/Wheel road hazard protection (~$400), Fabric/paint protection like Permaplate (~$400), etching (~$400), pin striping ($99), tint ($199). Dealers like Autonation bundle these into a "protection package" for like $899 or something and will retort its already on the car so they can't remove the cost like etching, permaplate etc...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Mine added wheel locks, splash guards, and the cargo tray to every CR-V they sold for $400. Mine was fresh off the truck, so I was able to avoid that. They also attempted to push the paint protection (I think they wanted $400 for it, and you could buy the product off of eBay for $50.)

They did not try and push rustproofing, as many car manuals now explicitly say not to do it.

I'd simply refuse to pay on thin dime for any of those stupid extras you don't want, no matter if "they're on the car already"; there's more than enough supply of CR-V's at the moment that there are other options.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
There's a Touring on the showroom floor at the dealer near me. Sticker MSRP is in the $34k range. With dealer add-ons, it's over $42k! I can't imaging anyone paying that much for a CR-V!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Our local dealership adds their ADM sticker to all their new Hondas. The ADM on their CR-Vs averaged +/-$4K. I asked the salesman if he would give me a call the minute a transport truck with CR-Vs arrived/offloaded so I could make an offer before the dealership molested them. I got them to throw in the window visors as part of the deal. When you live in the desert, window visors make a huge difference when it's hot out (about 10 months here).

Our CR-V is rare.......a stripped EX-L.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's a Touring on the showroom floor at the dealer near me. Sticker MSRP is in the $34k range. With dealer add-ons, it's over $42k! I can't imaging anyone paying that much for a CR-V!
Our local dealership adds their ADM sticker to all their new Hondas. The ADM on their CR-Vs averaged +/-$4K. I asked the salesman if he would give me a call the minute a transport truck with CR-Vs arrived/offloaded so I could make an offer before the dealership molested them. I got them to throw in the window visors as part of the deal. When you live in the desert, window visors make a huge difference when it's hot out (about 10 months here).

There was a Pilot Elite in the showroom floor of my local Honda dealer David McDavid in Frisco for $8k above MSRP....equally nuts.

Our CR-V is rare.......a stripped EX-L.
Funny you say that, it is rare for me to come across a newer-ish vehicle that doesn't have pinstripes which I automatically peg as an ADM...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,553 Posts
Be advised that dealers know in advance what vehicles are 'coming in' so you should have SOME chance of getting the car before that stuff is added.

One tactic that is used is "you can have your 'stripped' new car but you will have to wait XX months". So tell them you will look around at another dealer!

·
Registered
691 Posts
There is a dlr in my area (not Honda), that will automatically add $999. to the dlr sticker and call it Adjusted Market Value. Now I understand if it's a new, hard to get car or high performance in demand sort of thing, but he does this on every car. He has six different manf. lines and does it to all. I asked a salesman once if anyone actually pays it and he told me you'd be surprised. They mostly do it to act like they are doing you a favor when they knock some off the price. Mine came with wheel locks and mud guards from another dlr since they had dx'ed mine. I didn't pay for it however because we already had our deal in place. They just didn't want to fool with taking it off.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If some of the add-ons were truly already on the car (like mud guards or the wheel locks), and I actually wanted them, I might offer to pay for them, but at no more than CollegeHills prices. (I'd pay $0 for VIN etching, Paint Protection, Pinstripes, etc.)

If they do try and push paint protection and they boast about Teflon in it, either just pointedly refuse, or if you want to mess with them, ask "How do you get the Teflon to stick to the car? Because to get Teflon to stick to fry-pans, they have to dip them in acidic primer, spray on the Teflon powder, and then bake them in an industrial oven at 650F or so."

(The answer is that the wax contains a form of Teflon meant to be added to coatings, but it doesn't last any longer than the coating it's a part of. So if it's mixed in with car was, it'll come off the car no later than a year or so. The chance the sales drone knows any of that is approx. zilch.)

·
Registered
653 Posts
My dealer prepped everything coming onto the lot with pin striping, wheel locks and nitrogen. I didn't want that pkg and they removed it from the pricing, but still left it installed. Dealership also gives all purchasers "free" lifetime towing, oil changes and inspections as well as lifetime power train (but you have to have all recommended service completed there for the power train warranty).

During final pricing, I got the hard sell for paint and fabric protection. Kept asking me "why" I didn't want it and just would not back off. I finally told them that I would think about it after checking with my (fake) brother-in-law who owns a (fake) body shop. That quickly worked and I didn't hear any more about that pkg.

...oh yeah, when I purchased my CRV in February, there were still 2016's on the lot. Each new vehicle had a dealer sticker adding a $1500 market adjustment. Salesman told me to ignore that since it was just a ploy to get the 2016 models to move out.

Window etching wasn't pitched, but my son got a hard sell about that on his new car. Salesman lied and told him that was how the police would identify his car if it was stolen. Claimed all insurance companies gave discounts for vin etching (absolutely false). The ONLY thing vin etching on glass will accomplish is to identify vehicle parts in/from a chop shop -- by that time, your vehicle will belong to your insurance company.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a dlr in my area (not Honda), that will automatically add $999. to the dlr sticker and call it Adjusted Market Value. Now I understand if it's a new, hard to get car or high performance in demand sort of thing, but he does this on every car. He has six different manf. lines and does it to all. I asked a salesman once if anyone actually pays it and he told me you'd be surprised. They mostly do it to act like they are doing you a favor when they knock some off the price. Mine came with wheel locks and mud guards from another dlr since they had dx'ed mine. I didn't pay for it however because we already had our deal in place. They just didn't want to fool with taking it off.
While I was shopping for my next car, I simply walked away from any dealership adding the "Adjusted Market Value" to the car I was interested in at the time. It's absolutely BS for the vast majority of cars on sale to has such an up-charge. There are really only two scenarios I see where that up-charge is even remotely justified. One, there's literally a line of people out the door wanting to buy that particular car. And/or two: its a limited run production car (example: Civic Type R).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was looking for a white Touring AWD and they seemed to be in short supply near me but I did mange to find one fresh of the truck. They wanted $1000 for some kind of security system (they said it was the one they use for the cars on the lot) but the removed/deactivated it. They car hadn't had any of the crap added yet but they did offer to include it. I politely said no...

Back in the day when I wrote software for a Honda dealer I was shocked to learn how much the markup was on a lot of this stuff. Basically, I was told, this is how we make money on the sale, especially if the buyer uses a buying service (e.g. Costco, TrueCar, etc)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was looking for a white Touring AWD and they seemed to be in short supply near me but I did mange to find one fresh of the truck. They wanted $1000 for some kind of security system (they said it was the one they use for the cars on the lot) but the removed/deactivated it. They car hadn't had any of the crap added yet but they did offer to include it. I politely said no...

Back in the day when I wrote software for a Honda dealer I was shocked to learn how much the markup was on a lot of this stuff. Basically, I was told, this is how we make money on the sale, especially if the buyer uses a buying service (e.g. Costco, TrueCar, etc)
Having worked for a dealer and several friends still in that industry, average new car (front-end = price of vehicle minus actual cost after holdbacks etc.) margin is in the ~$1500-$2000 range on average because of internet shopping, average F&I (Finance & insurance...or commonly known as back-end gross which includes financing, extended warranty, all add-ons) is ~$2500.

Companies like Carmax fare better because their average front-end margin is closer to $3000 + the back-end..., used cars have more margin thus the push from dealers to do ADM's. Some companies like Autonation & Sonic do ADM on ALL their vehicles, used or new.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My dealer puts mud flaps on every car as soon as they come off the truck and does not charge the customer for them. Other than that, there are no dealer add ons that customers are forced to take.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Local dealership adds protection package (including crappy window tint) to every Honda, told me there would be no exceptions. I ended up buying from an out of town dealer that didn't add those things and threw in wheel locks for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer threw in all weather mats, cargo tray and splash guards after some delivery issues, but not because they were throwing in items for free to earn my business.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts