Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to go back to add another post to a prior thread with the same title but it was locked so I'm repeating the title here. I do suddenly have a genuinely new idea that I would like you to comment on. So this is a continuation of the other thread in good intention.

It seems winter is coming and as you know, Honda blames cold engine for the oil dilution issue. So I'm thinking about putting some thing in front of the radiator, like a piece of cardboard, to block off some of it to help warm up the engine faster. This way, I hope it would reduce the fuel in the oil problem.

What I've noticed is that the small 1.5L engine in the CRV with the humongous engine bay, while good for the DYI like me to fix things later, is bad for holding heat. In the recent days in WI where temperature is in the 40s, I observed that the car's temp gauge dropped significantly after merely parked for 10-15 minutes.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Your strategy has been proposed by others. They have also mentioned things they will do: oil sump heaters, Premium gas, using S mode to warm up the engine faster, etc.

Can't you wait to see if Honda's fix works? Perhaps in the meantime you can bungee a cover over the front of your V. This one seems nice:

I says HONDA on it and depicts the heat flying out of the engine bay on wings! (JUST KIDDING)

+++++++++++

In the meantime, read up or contribute to these open Topics:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...res-etc-gen-5/190547-lemon-law-lack-heat.html

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...cial-specs-features-etc-gen-5/191711-fix.html

·
Registered
631 Posts
Your strategy has been proposed by others. They have also mentioned things they will do: oil sump heaters, Premium gas, using S mode to warm up the engine faster, etc.

Can't you wait to see if Honda's fix works? Perhaps in the meantime you can bungee a cover over the front of your V. This one seems nice:

I says HONDA on it and depicts the heat flying out of the engine bay on wings! (JUST KIDDING)

+++++++++++

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...res-etc-gen-5/190547-lemon-law-lack-heat.html

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...cial-specs-features-etc-gen-5/191711-fix.html
Dont laugh at us silly fools that just spent 260 bucks installing a block heater.....eh...only in Canada

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

+++++++++++

LOL. Thanks for the laugh. I don't know when I'm going to get that fix and winter is here so I'm proactively try to mitigate the problem. I'm going to do it though. Doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 18 CRV warms much faster than my 04 Accord 2.4L, and WAY faster than my 5.7L V8 Sequoia.

What am I doing with the reported claims of a serious oil dilution issue? Well, I have not seen evidence over the last 2 years that its actually problem, and until I see a hint of an issue I will not do anything special.

Now, if I happen to see my oil level climb too high, I would change the oil and watch closely every week or so.

If I had the warm up issue contributing or not to high oil levels due to gas dilutions, I would try S mode for the first few minutes of my cold starts and monitor the oil the same way. I would also install a block heater, which is what many diesel engines owners have done to reduce oil dilution during cold weather (and improve cold starts in general). If the issue still continued, I would switch to 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil, which will NOT void any warranty. ("Recommend oil" does not mean "Required")

And speaking of diesels, this issue, if you call it that, has existed for a LONG time. It was renewed with Direct Injection diesels and then gas engines, all the same. There are some extreme cases, as with any vehicle model. Anything designed and then built by humans WILL have some problems.

Honda has appropriately responded repeatedly in various forms to the masses. Try to find that sort action or response from other OEM's

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm waiting for this fix to fix it. Short of that.......... I already have plans to have a temp vehicle wrap done (friend of mine owns a shop). I'm going to have it look like a big lemon covered in frost. Then I'm going to park it on the street in front of the dealership

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think I would have installed one of these 1st, for way less money. Seems like some oil pan heat would not only evaporate some gasoline out of the oil but also add a little heat to the motor. But I digress, the "FIX" is out, says Honda.

https://www.padheaters.com/frequently-asked-questions

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think I would have installed one of these 1st, for way less money. Seems like some oil pan heat would not only evaporate some gasoline out of the oil but also add a little heat to the motor. But I digress, the "FIX" is out, says Honda.

https://www.padheaters.com/frequently-asked-questions
Screw that, its a good idea if I lived in Alaska Lol. Nothing more than a bandaid in this situation

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 18 CRV warms much faster than my 04 Accord 2.4L, and WAY faster than my 5.7L V8 Sequoia.

What am I doing with the reported claims of a serious oil dilution issue? Well, I have not seen evidence over the last 2 years that its actually problem, and until I see a hint of an issue I will not do anything special.

Now, if I happen to see my oil level climb too high, I would change the oil and watch closely every week or so.

If I had the warm up issue contributing or not to high oil levels due to gas dilutions, I would try S mode for the first few minutes of my cold starts and monitor the oil the same way. I would also install a block heater, which is what many diesel engines owners have done to reduce oil dilution during cold weather (and improve cold starts in general). If the issue still continued, I would switch to 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil, which will NOT void any warranty. ("Recommend oil" does not mean "Required")

And speaking of diesels, this issue, if you call it that, has existed for a LONG time. It was renewed with Direct Injection diesels and then gas engines, all the same. There are some extreme cases, as with any vehicle model. Anything designed and then built by humans WILL have some problems.

Honda has appropriately responded repeatedly in various forms to the masses. Try to find that sort action or response from other OEM's
I guess I should have used 5W30 instead of the 0W20 when I changed the oil just last month. Next time.

And who said anything about diesel?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Diesels have been using Direct Injection a LOT longer than gasoline engines. So its a useful comparison.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My assigned service person at a southern california honda dealer called me today to say that I should come in and view a video regarding the high oil levels I have been experiencing (<1K miiles btw changes). I have no idea what it will cover. Any other reports of the video? I will report back if no one else has reported on it. Honda Canada seems to be offering a 6 year, unlimited mileage, engine warranty soon for those affected. USA...we should get twice that coverage, right? Maybe if I write President Trump? Twice unlimited mileage would be good.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Screw that, its a good idea if I lived in Alaska Lol. Nothing more than a bandaid in this situation

That bandaid has been used for many years........must be something to it. Warm oil at start-up is way better than cold oil. A side benefit is warmer engine coolant (heat rises). One of the reasons cop cars and taxis last so many miles is the vehicle seldom sits long enough for oil to get cold. Bing/read "Motor Oil 101" by Dr. A E Haas.

I guess I should have used 5W30 instead of the 0W20 when I changed the oil just last month. Next time.

You might want to Bing/read "Motor Oil 101" by Dr. A E Haas before you change oil viscosity.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Are you saying that someone gave me misinformation? I have to go back and take a look to see who that poster was.
I’m saying read Motor Oil 101 by Dr. Haas. Then you will likely know the facts about oil viscosity and lubrication.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes, it's the endless attempted parallel conversations from Honda can-do-you-no-wrong fans. The goal is to never acknowledge the issue and instead present straw men to be knocked down and in the end change the focus and energy of the discussion. I suspect the hope is a heated argument ensues while back channel communications with moderators encourage the thread to be closed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I’m saying read Motor Oil 101 by Dr. Haas. Then you will likely know the facts about oil viscosity and lubrication.

Sure. He says oils should be “As thick as necessary, as thin as possible.” In other words, in a properly functioning engine designed for 0w-20 there’s no reason to use a heavier oil.

The question here is whether the level of fuel dilution in at least some Honda 1.5Ts qualifies them and properly functioning. SAE standards for 20-weigh oil viscosity say it should have a 100C viscosity of 6.9-9.1 cSt. Virtually all fresh 20 weights available today are 8.xx cSt at 100C.

Many used oil analyses for this engine show 100C viscosities in the very low 6s or high 5s. In other words, out-of-range. So for this engine going to a 30 weight oil is not illogical and doesn’t violate Dr. Haas’ principles (fwiw). Faced with a similar fuel dilution issue with its 3.5 EcoBoost engines, Ford changed the oil requirement from 5w-20 to 5w-30.

Maybe Honda anticipated this level of fuel dilution and designed the engine accordingly. Or maybe they didn’t and don’t want to take the fuel economy hit of going to a heavier weight oil, requiring dealers to stock multiple viscosities, or are just rolling the dice that it doesn’t blow up in their face.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My point to the OP was.......read/learn some motor oil facts written by an educated expert in viscosity and lubrication. The OP said something like, I should have used 5W30, maybe next time. That statement is based upon what?.......what someone post in a car forum saying that’s what I would do. Did Ford tell EcoThurst owners AND CRV owners to switch to 5W30?

Let’s not turn this in to an oil thread. The OP, and anyone else, can educate them selves a little more regarding motor oil, viscosity and lubrication by reading the Dr. Haas article.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
1 - 20 of 280 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.