Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX-L with Navigation.
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow CR-V Owners!

Right here in my very own neighborhood I belong to a community online site. In fact, that is where I found my CR-V.

I am seeing one car after another stolen right in front of my neighbor's own houses. The newest one is a Sierra Denali truck and Suburban. It was stolen in their driveways. There was no broken glass, nothing at all. Just like the other vehicles stolen there was nothing there at all to suggest forced entry (like broken glass). The alarm was on and these cars have all been locked.

I just did a search here for CR-V's and someone's 2009 CR-V was stolen in front of their house. No glass on the ground and the alarm never went off.

This is frightening to say the least. I wonder how thieves are stealing vehicles without a key or forced entry? I wonder if anything can be done to prevent this from happending to our CR-V's.

Thank you for your insight and replies.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. Can you lock it in a garage?

They could always be using a tow truck, takes like 30 seconds tops to grab one that way. (2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive, I doubt if the thief cares if he wrecks the trans.)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
......Thank you both for your response.

I was just told that if you lock your car manually, the thieves cannot pick up the code.

And then there is also the garage which has a code which can be detected.

Hondo, thank you for the article. I just posted it to my FB page for all to read. Gaddsss!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Would I be at risk of having my car stolen with this method if I just never press the buttons on the key fob? That is, I’ll just unlock the car by putting my hand in the door handle and lock it by pressing the button on the door handle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would I be at risk of having my car stole with this method if I just never press the buttons on the key fob? That is, I’ll just unlock the car by putting my hand in the door handle and lock it by pressing the button on the door handle.
Yes... I'm also curious if this hack works with the proximity key function as well or only if you use the buttons on the remote to unlock the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Those are brazen thieves considering the gun laws in Texas ! Perhaps leave a few empty shells on the ground around the car? ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes... I'm also curious if this hack works with the proximity key function as well or only if you use the buttons on the remote to unlock the car.
Did a little bit of searching and found this article.
So the answer to our question is that the proximity key function is not susceptible to this particular hack, but it is susceptible to a "Relay Hack"

·
Registered
136 Posts
I suppose you don't have a garage otherwise i'm sure you would be storing it in there. I have a sensor on my garage door so that when the door lifts open the home alarm goes off. I also have a sensor on the door that goes from the backyard into the garage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My inside garage door panel has a button that turns off the opener radio. At that time the door can only be opened or closed with the button inside the house.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those are good solutions by NIU and FLCRV. But, what do we do if we don't have advanced systems?

I have a couple of suggestions that may help but, these do not prevent your car from being stolen or house broken into. These don't apply in all situations. Any other solutions?

Car:
- Never park your car in the same spot if you are using a public ramp or lot
- Seems to me the problem is with Unlock. Don't press the unlock on your remote FOB until you are standing next to your car. (to make sure the signal is strongest)
- Replace key fob battery every year to make sure the signal is the strongest possible
- If you find promotional flyers on your car, save them. If your car ever gets stolen, report them to Police as your prime suspects.

House
- Many garage door openers have a reset feature on the motor box. Use it to reset the codes on a frequency that's appropriate, depending on your neighborhood and your lifestyle. By lifestyle I mean, are you frequently away from home, is there someone in the house all the time etc
- If you find promotional flyers on your house/door/walls, save them. If your house ever gets broken into, report them to Police as your prime suspects.
- Don't press the remote opener until you are on your driveway (to make sure the signal is strongest)
- Replace remote battery every year to make sure the signal is the strongest possible
- Install a home security system, preferably wired

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Like you mentioned, nothing can be done to prevent a stolen car. If they want it, they’ll get it, even after all those steps you’ve taken.

Now if you have GPS tracker in your car, then at least you can pinpoint where it is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have attached a picture of the wall mounted garage door opener controller we have. It will work on all Sears openers and a lot of others. It is currently on sale for $21.84, regular price $22.99! An even fancier looking on come with new Sears openers. Doesn't cost a lot to upgrade existing opener. If it time to replace it, they have one on sale for less than $200.00 that has battery backup, the wall mounted locking controller and a contraption that lets you control the door opener from your smart phone . I used to turn off garage power at the breaker panel when we would be gone a while, which all so meant none of the light switches turned on any lights, not good for the burglar who didn't bring a flashlight. My garage could be a deadly maze without any light. Wallmountedcontroler.jpg

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are brazen thieves considering the gun laws in Texas ! Perhaps leave a few empty shells on the ground around the car? ;)
Hey TomKatt, so many of us carry guns in Texas, you would think the thieves would think twice. Many a thief has been blown off of the yard, carport, driveway here, etc here. It is still like the wild west in a way. Brazen is the word to describe these hoodlums. They know what is coming if the car owner catches them in the act.

I like the idea of leaving some empty shells around the house and driveway! That's really a good idea! Thanks for the tip! ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have attached a picture of the wall mounted garage door opener controller we have. It will work on all Sears openers and a lot of others. It is currently on sale for $21.84, regular price $22.99!
Hmm..good post! That i do not have but now you have me considering it. I have the garage door alarm sensor and backdoor alarm sensor. Can you only lock the garage door with it when home or does it come with a remote that you can lock it after you pull out and close the garage door?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hmm..good post! That i do not have but now you have me considering it. I have the garage door alarm sensor and backdoor alarm sensor. Can you only lock the garage door with it when home or does it come with a remote that you can lock it after you pull out and close the garage door?
When you press the button labeled lock, the transmitter/receiver in the opener is turned off. The light located in the main button toward the top, starts blinking indicating the the lock is active. Press it again, light goes off and the units you carry in your car work again. You can still open and close the door with the lock active. The lock button is on our way into the house so it's easy the lock the opener or unlock when leaving.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When you press the button labeled lock, the transmitter/receiver in the opener is turned off. The light located in the main button toward the top, starts blinking indicating the the lock is active. Press it again, light goes off and the units you carry in your car work again. You can still open and close the door with the lock active. The lock button is on our way into the house so it's easy the lock the opener or unlock when leaving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts