Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to rebuild a rear strut on my 2000 CRV SE. Does anyone know what size cup or socket I will need to drive the bushing into the shock? It has to be a cup or socket because of the way the bushing is made - I had to order the bushing from the California parts depot and I want to have all my tools ready to go when it arrives.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
what are you referring too because any damper is just a bolt on part on the rear differential. If your referring to rear shocks, they are also just bolt on. Nothing to rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You cannot purchase replacement struts from Honda anymore - they have been discontinued for this model and year. You have to buy the component parts and rebuild the strut. The bushing I am asking about is located at the bottom of the shock and is sold separately from the shock. It has to be pressed or driven into the shock and is where the bottom of the strut is attached to the suspension.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Buy a good quality strut and put it in. No point in trying to rebuild a nearly 20 year old strut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it comes to suspension parts I prefer using Honda replacement parts. The original struts have lasted 271,621 miles so I think I will stick with Honda quality. I blew a seal in the right rear shock but other than that everything else is working perfectly - I will replace all the rubber components since I am taking it apart but that is just preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
the rear is shock, not strut. The rear the shock is not part of the articulating suspension. Its a spring and damper. Struts act as the upper linkage of suspension along with including the spring and damper.

Honda versions last because they are coil overs. Which is why I chuckle when people ask for coil overs for the rear, OEM already is, aftermarket does nothing but offer adjustability if you want to pay the price for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just completely redid ALL the rubber bushings on my 2000 Integra Type R last year; similar suspension to your CR-V. I can’t remember what sockets we used but I do remember using several different brands of sockets even though the listed size is same. The outer diameter was just slightly different enough that for example a SnapOn 22mm would work but not a Craftsman 22mm to press a bushing in.
Hope that makes sense?!
����

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does - I've got several different sets so I will give my 22mm sockets a try - thanks for your answer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts