Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, '98 CR-V, 160,000 mile, Original owner. Driving today and check engine light came on (blinking), also idled rough.Plugged in scanner and got four codes. 300, 301, 303, translate to multiple cylinder misfire. And code 1399 ?? Where should I start? Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The P030x and P1399 codes indicate a problem with the engine valves.
Time to have all the engine valves adjusted. You should adjust them about once a year.

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P030x and P1399 codes indicate a problem with the engine valves.
Time to have all the engine valves adjusted. You should adjust them about once a year.

:)
This month (Dec) is my CR-V's 21 st Birthday. I cannot recall ever having the valves adjusted. I guess it is time. Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
This month (Dec) is my CR-V's 21 st Birthday. I cannot recall ever having the valves adjusted. I guess it is time. Thanks
The problem with the valves in the B20 engine in your CR-V is that they tend to tighten over time.
Tight valves can overheat, and eventually melt. (aka burnt valves)

·
Registered
136 Posts
After having your valves adjusted, change your spark plug wires. They do go bad, and are supposed to be replaced every two spark plug changes.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Since the OP reported multiple codes:

P0300 - misfire code not cylinder specific
P0301 - cylinder one misfire
P0303 - cylinder three misfire
P1399 - random misfire code

There was a problem with more than a single cylinder and valve, it might have been cheaper to just replace the head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since the OP reported multiple codes:

P0300 - misfire code not cylinder specific
P0301 - cylinder one misfire
P0303 - cylinder three misfire
P1399 - random misfire code

There was a problem with more than a single cylinder and valve, it might have been cheaper to just replace the head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, final report, We got the car back this morning. Rebuilt head at machine shop, valves replaced and what ever else they do in a head rebuild. water pump/timing belt service (like they did at the dealer @ 80,000 miles 13 years ago), spark plugs, oxygen sensor, oil change, tire rotation. $2300, ouch again! but the car is a 21 year old cream puff! Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts