Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my head unit with an Alpine which I think sounds much better than the stock unit. The only problem now is I still have the original speakers which seem just okay now. I know this unit could sound even better if I upgraded the speakers. I'm curious to know what some of you have gone with or recommend as the best for a 3 gen CR-V (2008 EX).

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I have commented over in the Electronics area here. Long story short, I ended up using a Morel Maximo 6 component system for the front, and Morel Maximo coaxials for the rear. I find that the highs are way too bright. I ended up having to cut way back on the EQ on top, to make them livable. I haven't had time to change them out, but likely will go with one of the Focal systems from Crutchfield. I had ordered in Polk speakers, but the component system would not fit the front door (the frame interfered with it), and rear coaxials just sounded really poor. (Which is a shame--I've purchased Polk speakers as far back as the late 1980s.)

Note that aftermarket speakers will not be as efficient, so you will need more power to have them play as loud as the OEM speakers. I use a Kenwood 50W x 4 class D amp, which is small enough to tuck inside the center of the dash. Underpowered, you risk burning out the tweeters when the built in amp in the Alpine distorts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should be aware that sometimes when people replace factory speakers with aftermarket they are disappointed to find a lack of bass.
Aftermarket speakers are generally meant to be paired with a subwoofer and thus are not designed to reproduce bass, but rather "mid-bass".
You may be underwhelmed their performance below 100Hz or so.
Factory speakers on the other hand, are engineered to 'perform' without a sub and thus can reproduce a bit more bass (particularly on low power, like the stock head unit provides).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts